|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> And So It Begins - Navajo National Monument

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW awesome landscapes and very interesting. Thanks very much .

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric,

Your blog is growing...I need to take a weekend ot two to go through it and make some notes. ...Keep up the good work. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't improve on this --
silversand wrote:

I always look forward to reading your thoroughly professional Trip reports!

Cheers,
Silver-

Great work, Eric, as usual.

Cal

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you so much for your trip report - the photos are stunning!

I have been to Mesa verde, but this looks even more interesting and probably way less visited. Can't wait to retire!!!!

Thanks again. Outfitters rock [emoticon]

SheepCamp

SW Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our favorite places is about 10 miles SW. Shonto Trading Post is not a tourist stop. It is a small active trading post that still serves the locals. A trip up to Navajo Mt (now paved) is a nice back county trip, but again, not a tourist destination. Adventourus can cut back east across Piute Canyon and loop back south to the highway. Best to have 4x4, but normally is a good dirt road.

Many places on the reservation are very special but best done in a TC and not some big rig. Over the years we have made many friends that live up unnamed two tracks that still run their sheep and weave some beautiful rugs from their own wool.

Thanks for the report, need to put on my list for a weekend trip this winter.

01 F350 CC SRW 7.3 Diesel
05 Lance 845
96 Jeep Cherokee, Beaches of Baja
79 Jeep CJ7, Moab Rocks

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SheepCamp wrote:

One of our favorite places is about 10 miles SW. Shonto Trading Post is not a tourist stop. It is a small active trading post that still serves the locals. A trip up to Navajo Mt (now paved) is a nice back county trip, but again, not a tourist destination. Adventourus can cut back east across Piute Canyon and loop back south to the highway. Best to have 4x4, but normally is a good dirt road.

Many places on the reservation are very special but best done in a TC and not some big rig. Over the years we have made many friends that live up unnamed two tracks that still run their sheep and weave some beautiful rugs from their own wool.

Sheepcamp,

There are many places on the Rez I'd love to go, but fear (of the unknown?) keeps me on the road when traveling Indian country. If you've ever visited Pine Ridge Reservation in Montana, you get the idea.

I've always had reservations (no pun intended) about traveling off the highway while on Tribal lands - I guess I am anxious about whether the locals would respond kindly to some non-native doofus like me just out to see the sights. I realize my attitude is probably the biggest obstacle to making it happen. Just about every Hopi and Navajo I've ever met were generally friendly, except for the tragically alcoholic and homeless ones frequently seen here in town.

In the future I'll try to be a bit more adventurous and less timid about offending the natives. Thanks for the tip.

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

hwybnb

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/09 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for your post. After reading it I knew I had to see the place for myself and am there as I type this. It is as wonderful as you said. In addition to the splendors of the park the camping is free and our Verizon Air Card is working great.

FYI: A sign on the road into the park says that no RVs over 28 feet (or something like that) are allowed in the campground but I had called in advance about bring in our 35' motorhome and was told it would be ok. On arrival the person on duty at the visitor center told me the rig was too big but said I was welcome to try. We found several spots in Sunset View campground that fit. There are not many large ones so size might matter in the busy season.

* This post was edited 10/22/09 07:06am by hwybnb *

B. BOOMER

lost somewhere in america

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/09 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were just there in Sept! [emoticon]

Unforunately we didn't have time to stay nearly as long as we would have liked - as we were coming from Lake Powell on our way to Durango for the RR Trip {which we had reservations for the next day}.

AND we did the same thing -- We initially drove by - then "something called us back" and we turned around, as I searched thru my info as to how far the Visitor Center was AND what there might be to see ...

We FULLY agree - it was well worth the nine mile drive o/w - up a fairly steep road. We didn't have time for ANY of the hikes or even to check-out the CGs -- BUT I'm so glad to read your post because WE DO PLAN to go back and spend a whole lot more time there.

At the Visitor Center we purchased a CD of Native American music - which we played throughout the rest of our trip. Made us feel like we were ~blended with the landscape of the Southwest [emoticon]

As an aside - we stopped at the BLACK MESA {Trading Post/Store} which is almost adjacent to the entrance and fueled up. DIESEL WAS VERY REASONABLE there {at that time}.

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/09 12:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another great travelogue in pictures. But admit it now, you have no stick home do you. The TC is home, isn't it? [emoticon]
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

v10superduty

CANADA-only 60 miles N of International Falls, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/09 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MR Smith [emoticon]

thanks-- these "photo-trips" you & others post on the T/C forum
are WAY better than any commercially produced travel/tourist info site.
They almost make you wan't to turn the computer off and hit the road to explore the area you are showing us--
BIG THANKS--[emoticon]

2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> And So It Begins - Navajo National Monument
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.