|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wandering through PA and VA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the Fall Carlisle PA TC rally, four of us continued on into PA and then into VA. What a joy it is to travel with like minded people who share the same things we like to do. Carlisle was a great rally and we got to meet new TCers and renew old acquaintances. We just kept on going with a bit fewer folk.

It's a real joy to look ahead (or behind) and see a line of TCs riding along.
[image]

Camped overnight in Bedford, PA after stopping at a local winery. My wine of choice is single malt [emoticon] so the winery stops were educational. Our next stop was in Shanksville, PA at the temporary memorial to the 9/11 Flight 93 crash. That was a really sobering sight to see and made me even more appreciative of our freedoms. Plans are drawn for a permanent memorial but I wonder if part of that will be improving the farm roads to get there.

Next stop was "Falling Waters", a Frank Lloyd Wright designed house.

[image]

It was built for under $150,000 and today the operating and repair budget is over $4,000,000 a year. I loved the stone work and roof lines but it was not a house I would want to live in. Joe's head grazed the ceiling in several places and the general scale of the house was not user friendly. Gorgeous to look at but cramped to live in especially the bedrooms.

Interesting camp that night as none of our spots were any where near level and we ran out of leveling blocks and resorted to local rocks. Next day we toured "Kentuck Knob", another Frank Lloyd Wright house.

[image]

The exterior details were just perfect to fit in with the site - one of FLW's main themes in a house. The kitchen was almost laughable in size as he expected the home owner's to have most meals catered and only to serve snacks out of the kitchen. Beautiful homes to look at but living inside art must not have been fun if not functional. Our TC looked spacious after a few of the house's rooms.

We're now camped near Independence, VA at a friend of one of our TC buddies. Their summer house camp is beside a roaring brook and in a grove of old maple and oak trees. Today has been down time with most of us reading, napping, and planning tonight's super. Last night Chef Mikeeee cooked pork loin, steaks, and fresh veggies on our host's big BBQ grill. Life just doesn't get much better.

We'll leave here Saturday with most of the pack heading north back to New England. We are going to cut up through West VA to visit some train museums and to go to a local "Road Kill Cookoff". Last year's winner was possum.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

s1214

Vt

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anne, I guess you must be looking forward to the 'Canadian Caravan' next year....

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful story, Anne!

Will you be visiting more of FLR's abodes (er, creations) ? Looking forward to updates from "roaring brook" !

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long peaceful day just walking around the beautiful woods and enjoying Bobby's camp. He built a suspension bridge over the brook which is always part of what you hear. Bobby and TinCanSailor go back many years and he graciously lets Tin's friends share this site.

[image]

We did have fun leveling the campers. Here's what we ended up with for Annie/Betsy's camper. No body can ever say TCers aren't creative. That's Bobby's "camp" behind the TC.

[image]

Tomorrow we women will head out to Chateau Morrisette to the winery there and maybe into Grayson to see local craftsmen. Guys will stay behind to clear some of the tree limbs on the small camp road leading in and do some deferred maintenance to the property. Unfortunately Saturday looms close where we once again head north.

petekerwien

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure like the photos!

AidenJ

Adirondacks, NY ,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all, glad to see your caravan is going well. Just can't believe you guys would turn down a chance to spend a night in our yard[emoticon] It's kinda on your way home. If your worried about time, I can hold reveille real early[emoticon]
Dick

2014 Dodge Ram 3500 CC, CTD, SRW
2010 NORTHERN-LITE 10-2 SPECIAL EDITION)
Libby, 2 yr Boxer/Hound mix learning to travel

CptnBG

Salem and Smith Mtn Lake, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Soon, you can stay overnight at Fallingwaters for a mere $1,195 a night. [emoticon] Fallingwaters.

Enjoy your time in VA. Independence is a beautiful area. Too bad the weather is yucky.

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 05:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weather might be a bit on the wet side but the company is warm. We just finished a BBQ dinner - Mikeee cooked ribs on the grill with all the usual side dishes. Lovely tin roof over three picnic tables right by the rushing stream. What can get better? We'll head over to Grayson State Park tomorrow for a bluegrass/crafts festival and then head north. House sitter said the leaves are turning and quite colorful this year so something to look forward to. Will be sad not to look in a mirror and see other TCs with us. But we do have the Salem Fall Rally to look forward to in less then three weeks.

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/09 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mikeee/Cathie, TincanSailor and Toni, friends Annie/Betsy and TwoMaineiaces (Joe and I) wandered on from the Carlisle rally for a week. We're currently in Pine Grove, PA hunkered down in pouring rain. It rained steadily from far southwestern VA to mid PA. For those of you who travel I-81 and know the 18 wheeler truck traffic, today has NOT been a fun travel day. Since some of the group must be back in MA by Monday, we've pressed on. Haven't looked at the weather for tomorrow but I think we're dragging these rain deluges withs us. Sorry!

Looking forward to seeing some of the TC gang again at Mikeee's Salem gathering in October.

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/09 10:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What fun you all are having! Who is on the caravan? Sorry that work is getting in the way, for me joining in on all these fun adventures!! Soon, soon I will be retired and carefree, haha! [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Wandering through PA and VA
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.