|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 trip, Conclusion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

May 2009 Trip
A Cross Country Journey
California to South Carolina and back
Homeward Bound
Part7, conclusion

May26, 2009

6:00 AM, reddish under belly of the clouds gave away the coming of the sun racing over the distance horizon, which soon send its beams of light slicing through those very red-faced clouds into morning cotton balls.
[image]
[image]
Except for a few getting to work early riser, there was only a couple walking their two little dogs. Julie was busy cooking breakfast and it is usual best to be out of the way, coffee was ready and a cup was being handed to me with a cheerier “good morning.” I usually need some coffee to get the blood flowing in me. Breakfast was a simple affair of grits, eggs and hash brows with another cup of hot coffee.
We were headed back to Albuquerque as our end of the day at Dave’s house with an intended stop in Roswell to check up on some strange sights we heard about. Getting out of town we would have wade through the muck of road construction.
[image]
My Julie spotted a crop duster plane making it’s turns over the main hiway.
[image]
Once cleared of Carlsbad it was very open road as far as one could see.
[image]
Brantley Lake State Park is easy to see from Hiway285 as we cruised on by.
[image]
Passing through the town of Artesia Julie took this photo of a corner statue (as best she could) displaying a cowboy hustling cattle down some unknown trail.
[image]
We didn’t stop for anything in Artesia and were in open road territory in short order. Roswell came along quickly and billboard signs showing off greeted us.
[image]
Along with billboards some old farming equipment was lined up in front of the fairgrounds.
[image][image]
Our destination was the visitor center some were on Main Street, as we traveled deeper into UFO territory we passed by the famous UFO Museum and Research Center, a featured subject on the radio program Coast to Coast.
[image]
Well in all my looking around like some tourist I missed the visitor center and had to turn around. Parking here is an easy affair with the lot almost empty. Eager to get some of the local low down, I approached the glass doors and what do my eyes see but an opaque figure coming my way. As I got closer this mystery figure became more define, I could see it was wearing a wolf shirt, shorts and holding a camera, by this time I was at the door and the ghostly figure vanished from sight. I wonder if anyone would believe me?
[image]
The host at Roswell Center was very helpful with information we were seeking and importunely we are too early in the year for the famous UFO parade held here. Not all was lost, for they had some unexpected visitor from out of town and we were introduced to them, Erie and Earnest.
[image]
They invited us to see their new movie about an earthling with a “thing” for Moon pies and his search for the ultimate pie.
[image]
We couldn’t take them up on their offer, but some how that earthling looked familiar. On the way out the door and in front of the building we ran into another surprise. We now know what happen to R2D2 after all the Star Wars movies ended; he got a job with the Postal Service.
[image]
Back on the road again, for very little to see but open range and some cattle. Clines Corner was about 85 miles away.
[image]
Arriving in the little township of Vaughn, it was lunchtime. Pulling into open dirt parking at the fuel station. The day has been going very well with good weather, white fluffy clouds above with a beautiful blue sky.
[image]
Across the hiway from us is a spit and polish chrome retro style restaurant; Vaughn sports several motels and a couple of RV parks.
[image]
There is no doubt about a lot of open range along hiway285, Clines Corners was coming up fast and the billboard sign were prove of that.
[image]
We did stop, looked and scratched our heads in wonder about this place. Without any questions a tour trap with gas, a gift shop were you can by all the cheesy stuff you want? It did have one high light, the wooden Indian in front.
[image]
Hopping back on the I-40 it was a fast run to Albuquerque and a fuel stop at the Flying J before stopping at Dave’s house. It would be a 45-minute wait to get propane and I decided to get on the way out of town tomorrow. Finally at Dave’s house, Julie hadn’t seen Dave in awhile. We all had agreed to eat out and in the Old Town at the Church Café; this would give Julie a chance to see some of Albuquerque’s Old Town.
[image]
[image]
May27, 2009

This morning we would be traveling back to Kingman, Az., making a stop at my parent home. Dave had coffee ready for us; we wanted to get a early start, saying our good-byes this beautiful morning.
[image]
Once again headed west on the I-40, passing by a old bridge that has become a tourist attraction for those following Route66.
[image]
Once in Grants we had breakfast at Grants Café on Old Route66 (40B), the food was very good.
[image]
Crusing through Grants on Rout66 passing one of the several sites along this road, we drove all the way through Grants till we reach the I-40.
[image]
Back on the never-ending interstate (seem like it), having to wade through more road construction to get to the Arizona state line, some dark clouds were floating near by giving off a little sprinkle on us at the rest area.
[image]
My Julie yelling at me that we better get going if we’re to make Kingman.
[image]
Pushing on into Arizona we ran into a little red dust storm.
[image]
Video Arizona Dust Storm
We did make Kingman before dark and to my parent’s house only to find out that they won’t be back from Los Wages for another couple of days. Well, if that isn’t a stick in the eye, only one thing to do go eat dinner and head back on the road to some quiet place.
We settle in along the National Trails Hiway (route66) back in California and slept till the sun woke us up.
[image]
From here I drove us back to Amboy Crater where breakfast would be severed in a peaceful area.
[image]
After eating and doing the dishes we headed home for the escape of everyday life has come to an end again. I thank all who have followed our travels and may your road be smooth with wondrous sights.
[image]

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/09 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex,

You folks sure put on some miles. I've enjoyed looking over your shoulder as you made the trip... Thanks for letting us in on it.

P.S. Quote: "From here I drove us back to Amboy Crater where breakfast would be severed in a peaceful area" Severed from what!?!? (just kidding - spell check wouldn't have helped you with that one!)

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great fun traveling with you-thanks for sharing. Marie

Matho

New Mexico Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 10:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for putting in so much time showing your extensive trips.

I found them fun. The back roads are more interesting.

2015 Chevy 3500 SRW 4X4 6.0 CC SB Big Wig 2016 Northstar Laredo SC Off Road

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/09 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex...I missed this. Hope all went well for you guys on this trip. Thanks for a great report. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

cougar88nw

Prescott Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/09 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Enjoyed your pictures of my old stomping grounds. Lived in Georgia, South Carolina and camped in most most of the South Eastern states you visited. Will be going back to SC this Christmas to visit with family and friends...wish I could pull the TT but time won't permit it. Take care c.traveler2.

Mark

Pilot---Mark ">, Co Pilot (boss)Nancy">
Children:
Alyssa ">, Corey ">, Matthew">, Kaylyn ">

Dogs: Shih-Tzu's(other children)
Max , Shelby, Twiggles

TT 2001 Sunnybrook 2708 SLE
TV 2004 Ford Super Duty F-250 Diesel 6.0
Yamaha EF3000iSE/Honda EU2000i

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/09 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Renting that Uhaul trailer must have cost you a small fortune, unless you told them it was all "In-Town" usage [emoticon].

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

nycsteve

NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/09 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the trip report. I always enjoy reading your stuff, the video additions are cool.
With that dust storm, if it got any worse do you think you would have needed to pull over, not so much visibility concerns, but what about pulling all that dust into the engine?
Steve

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> May 2009 trip, Conclusion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.