|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sunforce Inverter question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Eric212

Western Mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/09 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I've been looking for a PSW inverter that'll put out around 1000W and came across this one: Sunforce Model # 11240 This seems like a pretty low price for a 1000 Watt PSW inverter, does anyone have one of these? Is it a screamin deal or just a cheap-o inverter? Or a little of both? I don't necessarily have to have the highest quality one out there, but I don't want one that's so cheap that it'll break after a year of minimal use either.

Thanks,
Eric

1999 Coachmen 115RD
1983 Chevrolet K30
Timbren SES, Stable Loads, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/09 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I were you I'd visit amazon and read the reviews. this unit has no mounting feet, annoying fan and not as clean power as you'd expect. Buyer beware..

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No knowledge of product quality. Check the specs though--they do their 110v outlets funny. Most inverters you can get the full watts from each 15amp outlet, but that one has two outlets that are limited to 500w each. Sunforce tech support replied to me confirming that.

They were selling these at Can Tire as "1,000 watt" inverters and I e-mailed Can Tire saying this was misleading, but never got an answer.

So if you want to run a 900 watt kettle with this "1,000 watt" inverter you can't.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Eric212

Western Mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 12:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

No knowledge of product quality. Check the specs though--they do their 110v outlets funny. Most inverters you can get the full watts from each 15amp outlet, but that one has two outlets that are limited to 500w each. Sunforce tech support replied to me confirming that.

They were selling these at Can Tire as "1,000 watt" inverters and I e-mailed Can Tire saying this was misleading, but never got an answer.

So if you want to run a 900 watt kettle with this "1,000 watt" inverter you can't.

Interesting, I never thought of that. I will be wiring this up so it powers all of the outlets in the camper... to get the full wattage could I just have power coming from both outlets (2 sets of wires) and connect them together before connecting to the house wiring? I don't have anything that will draw the full 1000W right now but I'd like to have that capability available.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understandiong is that each outlet has the 500w limit so you can plug a 500w appliance into each one for 1,000w limit on the whole supply. It has something to do with series or parallel of the outlets--can't remember the details.

I don't think you can blend them downstream as suggested. Isn't that like where guys want to make a 30amp out of two 15amp receptacles? Perhaps there is a way that somebody else can suggest.

If you already have it will they take it back? There's lots of other inverters out there. It seems they are coming down in price a bunch lately too. I wonder if there is something new coming out or if it is just an over-supply in the market.

2oldman

south

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric212 wrote:

to get the full wattage could I just have power coming from both outlets (2 sets of wires) and connect them together before connecting to the house wiring
Before trying anything like that I'd read the owner's manual. I have serious doubts that will work. You'd likely have to run some outlets on one branch and some on the other.

Eric212

Western Mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 03:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

If you already have it will they take it back? There's lots of other inverters out there. It seems they are coming down in price a bunch lately too.

I didn't buy it yet, I'm glad I asked about it here first because I'm not crazy about that 500W per outlet idea.

Can anyone suggest another PSW inverter at 1000W (or more) that would be in the less than $400 price range?

I did some more looking and found This One never heard of that brand though.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like this one

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3056

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 05:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr Wizard, that Tripplite is an great choice but it is MSW, the OP was asking about PSW. Many people are scared to death to run MSW but my experiences tell me most fears are un founded IF you buy a GOOD QUALITY MSW inverter built by a reputable manufacturer.

I have that same model of Tripplite inverter, extremely heavy duty, has no problem starting and running my 10 cu ft home fridge that I installed in my TT.

I would trust that inverter over any cheapy MSW or even no name PSWs.

OP depending on what you are planning to power that Tripplite will provide lots of power for many years. The only issues you will run into is if you are planning to power a microwave (tend to run slow), any heating pad or electric blanket with electronic temp controls.

Couple of things when considering high power inverters. You must plan out your setup so the inverter is as close to the batteries as possible without having them in the same compartment. The PV1250 is rated up to 3,000W surge, minimum fuse is 200-225A, this also requires very heavy gauge of wire. I used 1/0 extra flex wire and inverter is under 6ft of wire from the batteries. Don't plan to plug 1000W inverter into a cig lighter and expect it to work, in fact don't consider hooking it up to the 12V fuse panel, it must connect directly to the batteries..

Don't skimp on the 12V DC wire. I bought my 1/0 extra flex wire HERE which has the best price on this earth for this size of wire ($2.50/ft). (while you could use common building wire from Home Depot or Lowes, extra flex wire has very fine wire that flexes or bends easily which will make for easy installation)

By the way a better price on the PV1250 can be found HERE for $295

You can view my MY RV HINTS AND TIPS document for some pictures of my inverter and power setup.

OhioRVers

Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/09 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to DonRowe.com and check out his stock of PSW inverters. I just bought a Samlex 300 watt inverter from him. It appears that he has a sale price on an inverter each week.

I am happy with the buying experience and the inverter, a Samlex PST -30S-12A works great.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Sunforce Inverter question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.