|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Twin Lakes State Park near Leadville - very nice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/09 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just remembered going from Aspen to Leadville, and camping by Twin Lakes at a forest service campground. A very nice campground, beautiful Lakes, nice canoeing on them. Drove around in our dinghy to Leadville and had pizza at Pizza Hut. We'd driven over from Aspen, very neat drive up and over, extremely narrow at one point on the drive, one lane, it seems now. I remember a lot broken side mirrors by the rock which one had to squeeze around and tucking in the driver's side mirror. In a 22' C-Class MH towing a Geo Metro with a 16' Canoe on it's roof. Made it by without a scratch. Topped out well above tree-line getting over at the pass. Independence Pass very scenic. Very beautiful country. It just reminds me, we do not have to stray too far from home to see some beautiful country. At the time we were returning from a trip which took us up the west coast to Blaine at least at Birch Bay State Park, then over into Canada. To Jasper, Baniff, Watertown, back to US to Glacier, to Idaho to Rock Springs, WY by Flaming Gorge to Aspen. But after Twin Lakes, we got to Heron Lake in New Mexico, but not sure of the route. A neat trip in 1997, our first in the Couchmen. The campground near Aspen was along a river, lots of dense willows between the sites and to the river. Not much around in the way of public campings areas.

Twin Lakes Campgrounds: Dexter ** Lake View ** Parry Peak ** Twin Peaks ** White Star I believe we stayed at White Star.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass Pass
Independence
May Company & Leadville May/Leadville

[emoticon] Is the one lane pass around the "boulder" or RockFace on CO 82 up from Aspen still there, going to Independence Pass?

Edited to delete reference to Twin Lake State Park, not a state park but San Isabel National Forest Campgrounds. Thanks, DadD45 for pointing out the mistake.

* This post was last edited 09/29/09 10:48pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

dadd45

northeast NEBR USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/09 09:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure you wanted to post Twin Lakes campground in the state of VIRGINIA during your post on COLORADO??????

DadD45
2004 Cross Country Coachmen
2001 Wrangler behind
JUST HAVIN' FUN!!!

greenrvgreen

open road

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/09 09:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, many moon ago I lived in Aspen, just out of college. I spent 3 years there, skiing the winters and cycling Independence pass in the summer.

The spot you're talking about isn't 1 lane but actually 1 1/2 lanes, striped as if it were 2. There's a sign on the downhill lane saying you have to stop for the uphill traffic--definitely a pulse-quickener!

Of course, at that point in my life I felt I was invincible. We used to cycle up and over Independence pass and down to twin lakes, have lunch at that little store, and then ride back again. On the way back down the pass, for some reason we felt compelled to thread the needle between uphill and downhill traffic, in the very spot you're talking about. Everybody's going 10 mph so why not go 30 mph between them?

Thank you for the trip report, it brings back memories. I'm not sure how I would fit an 8-ft wide MH on that narrow section, particularly if one was coming the other way at the same time. But on a bicycle? Shoulder-width was plenty!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Twin Lakes State Park near Leadville - very nice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.