|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Downsizing to Lightweight Trailer

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
GBlack

Evansville, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/09 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for the info! I did think of two more questions:

1) Other than popups, do any other trailers "fold down" to fit under a 7 foot garage door (22 ft long x 8 ft wide stall)? Although I like the idea of hard sides, I assume they precludes trailers from folding down to fit in a standard height garage door.

2) I found out that if I order the Toyota "Tow Prep" package along with the "Trailer Hitch and Wiring Harness" accessory, that I will only get a 4-pin connector and no brake controller. Do all lightweight trailers have brakes? If so, I'm guessing I'll need to modify to a 7-pin connector and add a brake controller.

Thanks!

gregrc75

Fairhaven, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/09 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=GBlack]

1) Other than popups, do any other trailers "fold down" to fit under a 7 foot garage door
Quote:

Yes, try Trailmanor and HiLo

Greg and J
Ben - Yellow Lab. Charley - Red Lab
2018 Keystone Bullet Premier 30RIPR
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL 5.0

tr4

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/09 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GBlack wrote:

Thanks again for the info! I did think of two more questions:

2) I found out that if I order the Toyota "Tow Prep" package along with the "Trailer Hitch and Wiring Harness" accessory, that I will only get a 4-pin connector and no brake controller. Do all lightweight trailers have brakes? If so, I'm guessing I'll need to modify to a 7-pin connector and add a brake controller.

Thanks!

there are no factory brake controllers. You will have to run some new wires to make up the other connectors in a 7 pin.
brakes will depend on the model

BigPackFan

Endicott, NY USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/09 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gregrc75 wrote:

GBlack wrote:

1) Other than popups, do any other trailers "fold down" to fit under a 7 foot garage door
Yes, try Trailmanor and HiLo
Also, A-liner/Chalet trailers (hard side, A frames).

BPF
Searching for the right RV
2007 GMC Envoy

stpauligirlmn

St. Paul

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/09 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, don't feel too badly about making a mistake. I bought a pop-up when I really wanted a hardside trailer. Even though the pop-up was cheaper, I just wasn't content. I went out and bought a hardside the very next camping season.

Second, I would also suggest buying the vehicle with the highest tow rating. Some folks say that you only want to tow 80% of your towing capacity. 80% of 3500 = 2,800 lbs. That is pretty limiting for a hard side travel trailer.

Finally, I suggest that you look at many different trailers. It would be a shame to make the same mistake twice. Do you really want canvas and all the work of a pop-up? If so, perfect! Do you really want a bathroom with a black tank, or would you be content with a porta-potty or cassette toilet?

You might consider making a list of "wants" (I wanted A/C, but could live without it) and "needs" (I needed a furnace for Minnesota camping). Then look at as many trailers as you can that are WITHIN both your towing capacity and your budget.

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect trailer for you!

Tom Trostel

Arlington, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/09 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a few hard-sided trailers have been made that fit into a standard garage. But, mine was made in 1973 and I don't know of any that are currently made.

Compact Jr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Downsizing to Lightweight Trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.