|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Black Streaks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ginger200

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried every product recommended in this string with no luck. My streaks appeared to be baked on because previous owner never maintained the exterior. I tried Mean Green, purple power, windex, many varieties of black streak remover for Rv's (included the one from walmart mentioned here - it was a joke and my streaks laughed at it). I was just about to give up and think I was doomed to have a gorgeous TT on the inside but a mess on the outside.

But today I tried something I saw on another board. Dow Scrubbing Bubbles for the bathroom.
OH MY GOSH it worked!! You can't spray it on and expect streaks to melt away...admittedly you'll have to take a barely damp rag and rub, but they will come off!! Some of the other products mentioned may work for light problems, but if you have a bear of a problem with streaking like i did let me tell you there is hope! I follwed the cleaning with a good waxing to make subsequent cleanings much easier.

Good luck!!!

JD38

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/03 06:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful around decals. I had problems using Scrubbing Bubbles in that area as it appeared to eat into the coloring of the decal.

Joe and Phyllis
FourWinds Windsport, 35D
2003 Liberty
">

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most products that take black streaks off will also take off any wax or polish you used along with the black streaks. If you want to use something that takes them off and polishes at the same time try Finish First Polish.
Not only will it clean off the black streaks but next time you wash using their car wash product if there are any black streaks they'll wash right off. The same goes with bugs, tar, road film, and anything else. It also cleans those things off when you polish with it. The surface is extremely slick and slippery and feels like a non-stick surface after using it. It also cleans those things off while it polishes and you can polish the entire RV before even starting to wipe off the haze. The longer it stays on the finish the better it bonds to it.

Finish First is a synthetic polymer polish that has no abrasives and it's safe for decals and striping tape. It cleans with emulsifiers not abrasives and is the only polymer that actually bonds to the finish and becomes part of it. Unlike others that just sit on top of the finish.

If you're not completely satisfied with it you can send it back and get your money back so you've got nothing to loose and everything to gain includeing not having to do it very often because it lasts a very long time and the more you use it the better it gets.

I have no monetary interest in this company or it's products. I'm just an extremely satisfied customer and I never could say that about any car care product before I tried it.

Mike
2001 Lazy Daze 26.5MB

Bassman

Grand Junction, Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 08:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

richmondmj, Finish First is not the only polymer
available. Liquid Glass is a cross linked polymer
that will bond tenaciously to any finish that is
pre-cleaned first. I use their pre-cleaner then
at least two coats of Liquid Glass. It takes four
hours to cure and the removal instructions are 4/0
steel wool and mineral spirits. I use it in the
shower, glass, mirrors, fish finder and my eyeglasses. The more coats, the better protection.
Also contains UV inhibitors. The Vacationer got
two coats this weekend and maybe one more tomorrow
(if my arm will take it!).

Bassman
2004 Kountry Star 3706/330 CAT
Boat: 18' Tracker Tundra

CK

Htgn WV

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lysol tub and tile Cleaner (pump NOT airisol)

Works great!! Spray it on and wipe it with a DRY cloth(when the cloth gets soaked change to a new one)

Acerone

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/03 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liquid Glass at one time was the best polymer around then the own re-formulated it to cut down on the cost for the masses and it has never been the same sense. LG has a curing problem and anything small that lands on the finish while it's cures can get stuck in the finish. The guys who started Finish First use to work for Liquid Glass and re-formulated FF back to the original LG but made a lot of improvements along the way. LG is no longer a 100% pure Synthetic Polymer like FF. Straight from the guys at FF when I asked about the two products.

richmondmj

St. Cloud, Fl , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/03 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bassman
You're correct that Finish First isn't the only synthetic polymer polish. There are lots of them on the market but only a few really bond to the surface. With FF you don't have to pre-clean the surface so it's easier to use. They have a pre-cleaner but you only need to use it on really tough stains and problem areas that require additional cleaning. The pre-cleaner is full strength undiluted product. As Acerone has mentioned Liquid Glass is no longer the same formula as it was originally and FF is an improvement on that original formula. It's also easier to use because you don't need to pre-clean the whole vehicle first, just wash it using a non-alkaline wash but their wash is the best for that.

I use it on all the same things you mention and more like my counter tops, stove, etc. It can be used on any hard smooth surface painted or not and also has a very high UV protection.

nielsms

Sandy, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/03 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use DeSolvit it's found in the cholthes soap at Walmart. But don't get it on you decals!!!!

*This Message was edited on 14-Apr-03 03:50 PM by nielsms*

Shawn, Jeri, Megan and Taylor
'02 Winnebago Adventure 32V
'94 SeaRay 21'

BRIAN278

GONZLAES, LOUISIANA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/03 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.spraypower.com/index.html

This stuff is awesome.

BRIAN D & FAMILY
30Q HURRICANE 1999 V-10
DASCHAUND (RED) HEIDI

slick60

Smyrna, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/03 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have heard that some of the toilet bowl and tile cleaners work real well but you must rewax.
Good luck

Charles ">, Jean "> and Miss Kitty">
Covered Bridge Good Sams ">
2004 Winnegago Journey 39 ft 3 slides ">
2004 Grand Cherokee ">
Brake Buddy ">
Blue Ox Towing Package">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Black Streaks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.