|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Safe to Drive Into Progresso, MX

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 07:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never drive across, when living in Harlingen. Of the 3 cities to go to down there, Progresso was the better of them. The smallest as well. If you decide to drive over, be sure you do NOT take a firearm of any kind with you, do NOT even have a shot gun shell in the vehicle. If they check you and you have something, it will land you in jail post haste.

Kevin, Progresso is just across the Rio Grande, no need to drive over, small villege when I was there last. Many go down deep into Mexico, some without any problems, some pay in different ways. I have gone to Canada several times, whole different experence.

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/09 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite a few of the older residents of our park, some who have difficulty walking distances regularly drive into Progresso. They either park on the street or in a parking lot 1 block west of the main street. None has ever reported a problem. If walking is not an issue you can usually clear customs faster by walking the bridge than by driving.

nelson

Clio,Mi USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/09 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We where in Texas 5 years ago and walked across at Progresso. There had been problems with the drug cartels but the News says there had been no need to send the military into Progresso. Well I don't know what happened during the time we watched the news and the next day but we where only there about an hour when there was a Tank and a platoon of fully armed military men come down the main street through town. Whatever the reason I don't want to go some place where Heavily armed military is needed. It was a shame how many very young kids and school age kids are out peddling good to us tourists.

2002 Damon Challenger 348 Ford V10
Blue Ox Auto Stop and Aventa II Tow Bar
2001 Ford Sport Trac with Remco Driveshaft Disconnect

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our group of Singles went to Progresso every Tuesday last winter and intend to again this year. There was a multiple murder in my hometown of three hundred a couple of weeks ago. A town of three hundred in the middle of cornfields here in Central Illinois can be dangerous too.

5thwheeleroldman

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, something about Napoleonic laws. They throw you in jail until they sort things out. Guilty until proven innocent! I walk across to get my meds, etc. Know the time will come when I can't. Think you can buy insurance by the day?

MoRambler

Springfield, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go, we always walk over the bridge. It's just faster getting out, than sitting in a long line of cars waiting to clear customs.
I have ridden over with a friend that has difficulty walking, and they had no issues at all. HOWEVER, it's just the time element that is a major PITA if you drive over. If not for that, I wouldn't be afraid to drive to Progresso.

Larry & Ann
2002 19' Timberlodge TT
2013 Ford F150 5.0L V8 w/TT Pkg.

onehorsehitcher

Donna Tx

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/09 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personaly I don't ever go over. I have no need to. Years ago I drove over once and walked or took the bus a couple of times. Progresso seems to be as safe as any tourist town on either side. It is true the Federales were there for a few days but I didn't hear of any bother to the tourists. They did a bit of confiscating of local police weapons etc. Those people that help you park you car on the street are supposed to be local officers. Customery to tip them. You can get most everything except the booze and meds in any one of several flea markets around the valley. To each his own.

FedExMan

Weslaco, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/09 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just drove over yesterday to Progresso to get scripts and lunch[emoticon]
We had no difficulty whatsoever. We parked in front of the pharmacy and then we did lunch at the Arizona. I took my scooter and we also stopped at my favorite shop to get some Talavera planters. There are "lots" and they cost 2 bucks. The locals will want to wash your car for ya with windex [emoticon]. The fellow that showed us the spot wanted to wash the car, and he assisted hubby with my scooter. The car was fine on the street and I slipped the guy 2 bucks for his efforts assisting us. We love going over to Mexico and really enjoy the shopping and the food. Some folks are put off with the vendors but if you are polite they won't follow and badger you. Just my two cents.

Paul and Dennise Ziaja
2002 Damon Ultrasport
2007 Saturn Vue Toad

barnaclebill

Atlanta Michigan or towards the sun

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/09 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you walk instead of drive to Progresso do you take a little folding wheeled cart with you to tote back your puchases or don't you buy that much?

2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

elh0146

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lookinin wrote:

Can someone tell this Canuck why some folks are so leery of Mexico? ... a neighbour pulls his 40' DP and trailer full of car, Harley, etc. way down deep in the country.

That's an entirely different matter.

It's not so much that people are leery of going to Mexico, although some certainly are, as it is why spend the money for Mexican auto insurance when one can park on the U.S. side of the border and walk over? As someone else mention, unless you have a disability that doesn't allow you to walk (how about a wheel chair?), then IMO, it's easier and less expensive to park on this side of the border and walk over.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Safe to Drive Into Progresso, MX
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.