RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Campgrounds in Alamogordo, White Sands, NM region?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Campgrounds in Alamogordo, White Sands, NM region?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White Sands Community, Evergreen, Road Runner are all in Alamogordo. White Sands National Monument is West of Alamogordo. Alamogordo is closer to WSNM than other place North or South of Alamogordo.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three Rivers Petroglyphs BLM site, http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/recreation/las_cruces/three_rivers.html, is in the area but maybe too far for your daily class, but you should definitely visit. They have two great RV sites with water and electricity.

teknomad

Land of Enchantment

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

imgoin4it wrote:

White Sands Community, Evergreen, Road Runner are all in Alamogordo. White Sands National Monument is West of Alamogordo. Alamogordo is closer to WSNM than other place North or South of Alamogordo.

Sorry, I'm confused since I don't know the region and don't yet have good maps for reference.

Which RV place is closest to White Sands?

Intrepida

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.” – James Michener

TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice campground (not too expensive and very friendly)at N32 57.820 W105 58.623 Edgington RV Park Hwy 54/70 at mile marker 71 Alamogordo. 505-434-2643, If you ask maybe he will lend you a "sled" to slide on the white sand. Look for the windwill. No pool, but you can look and see it the wind is blowing at WS and decied to go or not.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

teknomad

Land of Enchantment

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Very nice campground (not too expensive and very friendly)at N32 57.820 W105 58.623 Edgington RV Park Hwy 54/70 at mile marker 71 Alamogordo. 505-434-2643, If you ask maybe he will lend you a "sled" to slide on the white sand. Look for the windwill. No pool, but you can look and see it the wind is blowing at WS and decied to go or not.

No pool, no problem. I had a pool for years and wouldn't want another. [emoticon]

dicknellen

Fallon Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/09 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

White sands is in town. If you go to rvparkreviews.com you can pull up maps.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The closest Campground would be the FamCamp at Holloman Air Force Base. But you need to have some kind of Milatary ID to get to use it or have someone sponsor you. Authorized Users: Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV. DoD/NAF Civilians. Off US 70 If you fit any of the slots on the user list, it is close, but not the best in scenery.

Oliver Lee State Park may be a little farther from White Sands Nat'l Monument than some of the private parks, but I believe I'd pick it. White Sands had this on their site, "The closest public campgrounds are Oliver Lee State Park, about 24 miles southeast, and Aguirre Springs Recreation Area, about 39 miles southwest." Aguirre Springs They do have a hike to camp site at the Monument, Camping in the Sands.

Too far to drive but a very nice place is Valley of Fires Recreation Area & BLM Campground. I believe I like it better than Oliver Lee State Park. It has been revamped recently, it seemed when we stopped there last year. Very neat area with the Lava Field, nice sites, new shower building. AAA had it under rated in last years Camping Guide. Fires
Camping
If you are near it on your way to or from, it would be neat.

The Three Rivers Petroglyph Site is between Alamo & Valley of Fires. Petroglyphs

Alamogordo Things:
NM Space Museum
White Sands
Alameda Park and Zoo
Toy Train Museum and Train Ride
List of Campgrounds

Neat place north of Alamo: Valley of Fires BLM Area

As for Cloudcroft, I do not believe it has snowed up there yet this year. The Aspen should be in color by now. But most of the campgrounds may be closing or are closed. Cloudcroft is a really neat area. But it is not a fast drive down to Alamogordo, due to steep & winding road. Alamogordo is near White Sands Nat'l Monument as well as White Sands Missile Range. Cloudcroft is very near Sunspot as well. Visitors Welcome.

Lincoln National Forest - from personal experience, the camping around Cloudcroft is very good. We have mainly used the campgrounds or dispersed camping area by the Silver, Apache & Saddle Campgrounds on the Hwy going to Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation on NM 244. Sacramento Ranger District Lincoln National Forest.

We have also stayed at or near Bluff Springs - This popular dispersed area has a small waterfall, with springs located 200 yards above. Access to T113 (Willie White) can be found here. There are some bike trails in the area as well & motorcycles ones as well. Other trails Rails to Trails and Camping and Ruidoso Trails and Trail listings

If you happen to go to Carlsbad to see the Caverns. Sitting Bull Falls is really neat with a small cave behind the falls with formations. Also the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens State Park Zoo is neat. Beside the main tour of the Caverns, we liked the Slaughter Canyon Cave Tour. Ranger-guided tours of Slaughter Canyon Cave take you into an underground wilderness without electricity, paved walkways, or modern conveniences. In this wild cave, darkness is broken only by the flashlights and headlamps of rangers and tour members. I believe I would stay at Brantley State Park to base to see the area by Carlsbad. Or if you are near the Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park:
Pine Springs Campground (Elevation 5,822')Located just off U.S. Highway 62/180 near the Headquarters Visitor Center, Pine Springs is a simple, desert camping area situated at the base of the mountain.

* This post was last edited 03/30/10 10:52pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe White Sands National Monument is 13 miles from Alamoogrdo. It is about 3 miles from one end of Alamogordo to the other. Of all three of the parks mentoned in town, Evergreen and Road Runner are maybe one mile farther away from WSNM than the WS Community park. Once you get in a vehicle heading for your destination you will never know any difference in the diatance or amount of time to get there. In other words call them all the same. Now once you arrive at WSNM the Loop drive is several more miles from the entrance of the Monument. I want to say 8 miles, but cannot remember if that is out to the loop or out and back.

sparker1

St Petersburg, Fl, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/09 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently stayed in Boot Hill and enjoyed it. Have also stayed at White Sands RV Community, but prefer Boot Hill.

Stan

2002 Monaco Windsor DP
2003 Honda Pilot

Travel photos at Photo Gallery

teknomad

Land of Enchantment

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/09 03:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, very much everyone. I'll have to start checking all of these out. [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Campgrounds in Alamogordo, White Sands, NM region?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.