|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> want to travel the southwest

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hamjam

clayton,nj

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Iam new to this forum some friends and I both have 36 foot fivers and we are thinking of taking a month to vacation in the southwest area could anyone give me advice on how to plan a route and some of the sights that are out there we want to stop at tomstone arizona

MSU74

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tombstone is a good start. Go north to Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches, Canyon Land, Bryce Canyon, Zion and Las Vegas to name a few. I'm sure others will expand this list. Enjoy your trip!

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the forum. That's a really broad question since there is so much to see and do. If you could specify the kind of activities you like such as hiking, biking, cultural, historical, natural wonders, museums (to name a few) and the states you primarily want to visit we can more than likely respond with more pertinent information.

elh0146

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, when do you plan on making this trip? If it's in the summer, just be aware that the Southwest will be extremely hot...110 degrees is not uncommon in some areas and even higher temperatures are possible. Winter would be a better time, but then some of the areas mentioned by MSU74 will be cold with the good possibility of snow.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps you can find something in these to help:
Composite WestTX, NM, SouthAZ ** Tucson Xtra ** NM & AZ Off Roading ** NewMexFood

NM-AZ-UT-Plus ** Southern NM to ShowLow AZ ** *City of Rocks*

Northern New Mexico Campgrounds ** New Mexico Public Camping ** White Sands Nat'l Monument - Alamogordo

San Juans' Attractions - Campgrounds ** Santa Fe's Attractions ** New Mexico Campgrounds & Attractions ** Albuquerque

Reviews Campgrounds near Tierra Amarilla-Chama ** Traveling NM & AZ ** Aguirre Spring BLM Campground -LasCruces

Trinity Site ** Arizona Places ** Camping by Lakes New Mexico ** Pancho Villa SP ** Valley of Fires BLM ** Datil Well BLM

Route ** City of Rocks ** Misc New Mex Camping ** Green Chile ** Fall Colors ** Tucson ** Kilbourne Hole

By Grand Canyon ** Camping Near Petrified Forest ** Sunset Crater & Bonito C.G. near Flagstaff ** Wintering NewMexico

Canyon de Chelly & Navajo Nat'l Mon't *** New Mexican Food ** Chaco Canyon ** GrandCanyon/MonumentValley/Etc

Misc Suggestions Camping ** Santa Fe Campgrounds ** COE Campgrounds in New Mexico ** RoadTours NewMexico

Nat'l Parks West ** American Southwest Places ** ShakeDown Scamp/YamahaXT250 ** Las Cruces Area** Almost NM

Cloudcroft Camping ** Composite NM,AZ,TX Sites ** Chaco Canyon Routes ** Mescalero Sands BLM ** I-20/I-10 to Picacho ***or TexasHill Country to GrandCanyon

You mentioned Tombstone:
In the Bisbee/Tombstone Area, the town of Bisbee itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is a very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Tombstone was the site of a lot of wild west history, but is now very commercial. Neat Tour - Queen Mine
You could use Kartchner Caverns State Park - as base to see both Bisbee & Tombstone in a day trip. When we went to the area last, we stayed in a hotel off I-10 in Benson and did both as a day trip, then drove back to Las Cruces. It was my son-in-laws first time to see them.

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation ( Amerind Art Gallery is Neat ) a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. Amerind.Org Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area, drove to it but did not camp, a nice setting. Cochise Stronghold

Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Chiricahua NPS but if rigs are too long for the Nat'l Mon Campground in the Coronado National Forest above it you can desperse camp for free.

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

As for being tooo hot to visit in the summer, New Mexico and Arizona have some Alpine areas which can be very mild to down right cold in the summer in the higher altitudes. Bring some warm clothes with you for the cool areas as well as the hot. NM will tend to be cooler in most places. Our 110 degrees will not be as bad as your 90 degrees due to the dryness of the heat. Another Re-Cap and Keeping Cool and Northern NM Camping

Twin Lakes State Park - Independance Pass - Aspen & Leadville Colorado ** Above Colorado Springs

AZ & NM - Out of the Way Places *** Flagstaff - Gallup - Grants- to Santa Fe

* This post was last edited 09/14/10 11:13am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

TexasH

Katy, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This Site has info on the National Parks of the Southwest. The National Parks are always a part of any trip we plan. To see a new part of our country, try planning your trip around several of the National Parks!

2002 Southwind 37U Ford F53 - V10
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

ArmySFCRet

Congress, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living only 1/2 hour from Tombstone, I can tell that it is quite interesting but really only a day or, at the most, two to see it all. The area has quite a bit to offer though. Bisbee is an old mining town 30 miles south of Tombstone with mine tours and plenty of shopping for antiques and art. The Chiracahua Monument is about 1 1/2 hour drive from Tombstone and offers some wonderful sights, an historic ranch, and plenty of hiking trails. The monument also has a campground but your rigs will be too big for that one. Max length is about 25'. Karchner caverns and Ft Huachuca are about 1/2 hour to 45 min to the West and are quite interesting stops. If you want more info on our area drop me a PM.

And.... Welcome aboard.[emoticon]

'04 Cross Country 35' w/300 Cummins
'14 Ford Escape on KarKaddy 460SS
'09 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew 5.7 Hemi MDS
'51 & '53 Hudson Hornets 308 6cyl w/TWIN H-POWER
&
5 lbs of BG the Yorkie
Members of:
Grand Canyon Chapter of Hudson Essex Terraplane Club Inc

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From another Post;

Busskipper wrote:

I’m jealous, sound’s like a great trip. How will you be going to Dallas? Have you thought about heading to Louisville and then down to Dallas, thru Nashville and Memphis, two great towns then the drive to Texas, while country it is a beautiful drive – saw more Hawks on that section of I-40 and I-30, it was awesome. In Dallas check on construction – can never remember a time when it was not a pain, check with your daughter for local directions, to avoid any issues.

We took Rt 287 up thru Amarillo, good 4 lane roads and gets you off the Interstates. Now once you get to the pan handle the vacation starts?

Think about a few of these;
Carlsbad –
Taos
Mesa Verde
Canyon deChelly
Monument Valley
Page – Antelope Canyon
Grand Canyon
Maybe the North Rim If the snow is not on the road it may be closed but still worth the drive.
Monu
ment Valley
Lake Powell
Zion
Bryce
Rt 12
I-15 and the Virgin River – beautiful Drive
Lake Meade
Then Vegas and on to California

IMHO this is the best time of year to visit the Southwest – No Heat and No Crowds – if you get lucky you might even catch an early snow.

Look thru Stan Parker photo Album – great reference on things to see and do –

http://www.pbase.com/sparker1/root%26view=tree

BOL,

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk back again: If you take the southern route from NJ via Nashville, Little Rock and Dallas, I would suggest taking US 285 off I-20 at Pecos, TX to Carlsbad, NM if wanting to see the Caverns. Monahans Sandhills State Park is just before Pecos if needing a place to camp in the area. Monahans Sandhills

If interested in Old West History, from Carlsbad you can go to Lincoln, NM; the site of the Lincoln County War/Billy the Kid and Capitan, site of Smokey Bear Memorial. From Capitan one could go to Valley of Fires BLM Area/Campground or to Ruidoso and if you would like to Cloudcroft area via Mescalero Apache Res. Either way you can then go via Alamogordo to Las Cruces & I-10 (of course you will be passing by White Sands Nat'l Monument on the way to Cruces from Alamo) and on west to Arizona. The Willcox area, then Benson area (gateway to Tombstone) and on to Tucson.

From Tucson, if wanting to see Grand Canyon, go via Phoenix to Flagstaff (I-17) then you can go to Monument Valley stopping first at Navajo Nat'l Monument then to Canon de Chelly. If wanting more in way of early Native American sites and in a out of the way place go by Chaco Canyon Northwestern New Mexico. If not or after Chaco, you have all of northern New Mexico to explore from there.
Roads to Chaco

If Chaco is too much to travel getting to it, Aztec, NM has an easy site to see some of their building techneques. Mesa Verda is not far from there with many neat cliff dwellings. Navajo Lake State Park is in the area with nice campgrounds. But Chama & Heron Lake State Park is a neat area & on the way to Taos and Santa Fe and Bandelier Nat'l Monument have cliff dwellings and other ruins as well.

IMHO, You can see the whole Southwest using only public campgrounds and be more a part of the area as well.

For a state park in the Las Cruces area, Leasburg would be the one with camping and Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Fort Selden History.

If you are looking for things New Mexico, just to the west of Las Cruces is Historic Old Mesilla. If you will be looking for Indian jewelry or other crafts, Mesilla may have better buys than up north, mostly the same stuff. Old Mesilla

Mesilla has a couple of restaurants, the Double Eagle ( DoubleEagle ) and La Posta ( La Posta ), both with more atmosphere than the ones I listed above. Not sure if the food is any better. Mesilla **** Mesilla were Billy the Kid was tried & convicted.

For really spooky, no just joking, but some do claim Ghost of Mesilla: Hauntings and More Ghosts I had many high school students who claimed encounters with them there as well as a fellow teacher who told of working on sets at the Fountain Theater late at night. When the lights would all keep going off, a Hispanic member of the cast cursed the spirit out in Spanish and afterwards the lights did not turn off again. ?

More listings of eating places.

* This post was last edited 10/16/09 02:57pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

Polishnurse

Schodack, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you going to be moving around, you might want to look at Passport America, its a RV group that gives 50% off at tons of camp grounds, you can go to there website, and check there locations. Note that allot of the camp grounds also have restrictions, as to the number of days, days of the week, time of the year. It cost about $50.00 to join. But I found I save much more. Good Luck and Happy RV'ing Bill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> want to travel the southwest
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.