RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Generac Propane Generator Impact 36LP plus 2

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generac Propane Generator Impact 36LP plus 2

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Geterdone

Henrys Bend Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Lance 1121..2003 model year with a Generac Impact LP Generator model 36LP plus 2....when it runs it runs great....my concern is, I may let is go for a month between runs, and it is usually hard to start....meaning 20 attempts pushing the starter. I press the prime switch a couple of times (not sure how many is correct, couln't find in the book). I have the power to the camper off to let it warm up...so is there any maintenence that might improve the starting ability???...When it finally cranks over it runs great responding to power load as required.

thanks

steve

Steve and Patti, 2014 Ram Duelly, Longhorn Laramie, Lance 1172 solar,Genset, torklift super hitch, and tiedowns, Bodiak front hitch,Polar Kraft boat when trailered.

JohninSD

San Diego Ca USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same generator in a 2004 Lance. It's my understanding that the "Prime" button is only for the gasoline version of the generator and has no effect on the LP version. Mine starts fairly easily after sitting for a month - within ten seconds of pushing the button. Unless I'm at high altitude in the winter, then it might take 3 or 4 tries.

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you PM me your email address, I can send you the service manual(this is different than the owners manual) for that unit. I have the same generator and sometimes it takes a while for the gas to get down to the diaphram. There is also a bunch of other little quirks with this utit but my gen set works fine except at altatude where I have to change the metering orfice. You can also get the service manual in the files section of Lancecampersusa at yahoogroups.com. In order to get into the files section you have to join. When did you last change your spark plug?

On units with LP gas fuel system, the Fuel
Lockoff Solenoid (FS) will be turned on by closing
the Primer Switch.
CRANKING:
When the Start-Run-Stop Switch is held at "START",
the Wire 17 circuit from the A6060 circuit board is
connected to frame ground. Circuit board action then
initiates the following events:
1. Battery voltage is delivered to the Starter Contactor (SC) coil
via Wire 56.
a.The SC coil energizes and its contacts (SC)
close after a few seconds.
b. Closure of SC contacts deliver battery voltage to
the Starter Motor (SM1) via Wire 16. The engine
cranks.
2. Battery voltage is delivered to the Wire 14 circuit.
a.The Fuel Pump (FP) turns on.
b. Power is available to the Ignition Module (IM)
and ignition occurs.
c. Power is available to the Inverter Fan for operation.
3. A6060 circuit board action operates the automatic choke
through Wire 90.
The fuel lockoff solenoid is energized open by 12
volts DC power from the A6060 circuit board during
engine cranking. The solenoid can also be energized
open without cranking by actuating the fuel primer
switch on the generator panel

* This post was last edited 10/16/09 05:44pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohninSD wrote:

I have the same generator in a 2004 Lance. It's my understanding that the "Prime" button is only for the gasoline version of the generator and has no effect on the LP version. .

Wrong

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/09 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting that lance88, understanding what has to happen for the generator to start has helped me a lot. I actually have that manual myself, and had determined a few years ago by studying it that the "prime" button on the panel DOES do something, it just doesn't do what you would think a primer would. It DOES NOT prime the the engine with fuel. It only allows the LP gas to flow through to the big diaphragm on the right side of the engine.

That diaphragm is NOT a regulator. The LP gas is already regulated to the proper pressure by the regulator in your LP compartment. The purpose of the diaphragm is to only allow LP gas to flow to the engine when it it is sensing vacuum in the intake manifold. In other words, the gas will only flow to the engine when the engine is either cranking or running.

I also have the manual for that diaphragm around here somewhere, and from it I learned that it's adjustable, and that when it's properly adjusted it will open and allow the flow of gas when it senses "the slightest vacuum". I can't give you the exact spec's right now, but I do remember the manual using those exact words.

All that is to say that the diaphragm CAN be the cause of some of your starting difficulties. Finding someone with the skills and the patience to check it and adjust it may be another difficulty. It's pre-adjusted by the manufacturer, and I'm sure there are some on the Generac assembly line that know how to adjust them if they need to, but adjustments change over time. That's why there are adjustment points.

But let's assume everything is working correctly with your generator, both mechanically and electrically. You can still experience long crank-times if your generator has sat idle for several weeks, especially if the LP gas valves have been turned off. What I do that seems to consistently give good results is this:

1-Turn the LP gas valves on slowly. This is to prevent the excess-flow check valve that's built into the green Acme nut on the LP pigtails from going into flow-limiting mode when you first turn the gas on. If you listen carefully, you will hear the valve make two clicks; one when it first opens, another when the valve senses the back-pressure created when the LP system pressurizes.

2-Turn on a burner on the stove top, and hold a lighter to the burner until it lights. You will most likely note that the burner will take several seconds to light. Once it burns normally, turn it off.

3-Set your thermostat to "heat", and raise the setting until the furnace begins a start cycle. Once it lights and starts producing heat, turn it off.

The preceding steps were just to get your LP system turned on, purged, and ensure you have an adequate supply of gas.

4-There's a flare-nut on the end of the gas supply line to the generator, close to the fuel lock-off solenoid. This may create some controversy, but what I do next is crack that fitting loose, and allow the gas to hiss out of it for a while. Not too much, because you still don't want the excess flow check valve to go into flow limiting mode. If that happens, the generator WILL NOT run, because the flow will be reduced to 10 cfm or less. Not enough to even make a good flame on the stove. After it's hissed for a while, tighten it back up. Check for leaks with your soap solution that you always have on hand this stuff. [emoticon]

5-Next, press the prime button, just to make sure the lock off solenoid is opening. You should hear it click.

6-Now, press the start button and let it crank. If I remember, you can crank for as long as 30 seconds if you need to. Longer than you would crank a car, anyway. That's just the nature of LP fueled engines. If after a few attempts if it hasn't started, I reach behind the air filter and block the air intake hole on the backside. That seems to help sometimes.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/09 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

• Optimum gas pressure at the inlet to the fuel lockoff
solenoid and secondary regulator is 11 inches
of water column. Do NOT exceed 14 inches water
column. The secondary regulator is a GARRETSON® Model
KN. It is designed for simplicity and simple operation.
The regulator is suitable for use with low pressure
vaporized gaseous fuels where dependable starting is
a requirement. This is factory set and should not be messed with unless you can measure the vacuum. The regulator works by the piston downstroke creating a vacuum in the venturi which in turn allows the gas to be metered. Even though the solenoid has been opened by the prime switch, gas won't reach the carb util the engine is cranked. What you do to get the gas flowing is good.
The engine is very sensative to pressure. Mine won't run at over 8000 ft unless I change the metering orfice in the carb. At about 6000 ft starting is a bit more difficult. I have a hard time changing the metering orfice in the carb because of fumble fingers and the cramped space. Cranking for 30 seconds won't hurt. What I do though is crank for 15 rest for 10 hit the prime again just to make sure, then the next crank, it usually fires right up. The after about 20 seconds if warm up the electronics kick in and power comes up. Subsequent starts and stops are usually made from the monitor panel inside and no prep or prime is necessary. With any generator, propane or gasoline, it is good to run them for a while each month and to change the oil every 50 hours.
If the regulator quits working replace it. It is a relatively cheap part.

Geterdone

Henrys Bend Pa.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of this information...Just to clarify...I had latest long time to start after having run generator 1 week earlier, and the gas has been on running furnace etc (camping in W.Pa...in cold climate). I have the owners manual and believe I have a note here that the service manual is available at guardian's web site...
I changed the oil, filter(tg 4967fram), 30wt oil, spark plug 12yc, cleaned air filter (hard to find new one???), in Mar 09 at 52 hrs. My camper is an 2003 but previous 2 owners never used it??? so when I bought it in summer of 07 the 03 truck had only 12000 miles on it and camper was seldom used.

Is there a place that stocks this air filter...and should I put thinner oil in it...we usually head to florida for the winter and there it worked just fine every day.....

It now has 57.2 hours on it.

steve at slenglis@hotmail.com

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not sure but the diaphram in the regulator may age in time and become brittle. I know you can buy repair kits for 25 and a new regulator for 50. The coil in the FC can also get weak but I doubt that this is the reason.
I will send U the service manual by email. My camper is also a 2003 and starting has taken a bit longer as the camper ages but still works. The service manual has a ton of information.
look at 7.2.3 for chart. The
078601 ELEMENT AIR FILTER is listed at about 15.00 at one online dealer. It may be cheaper but you need to do a fram search

exercise is good to move sticky joints [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 10/17/09 10:00am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

BillS

Mount Pleasant, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a Generac Impac 36LP Plus II in my '03 Lance 1121. It takes little less than a minute of cranking time (watching a clock) to start it after setting idle for a while. It does not have a primer button, only a "Fuel Pump" labeled inoperative rubber button in the place of a switch.

I use 10W-30 oil in it since I've had problems with the low oil pressure switch when cranking in cold weather when I used 30W oil. No shut down problems since changing to 10W-30. There are several places on line that sell engine oil filters, air filters, and other maintenance items for Generac generators.

Bill

'03 Lance 1121
'03 Dodge 3500 Diesel Dually

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 11:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same generator. After a very high number of hours running I wore out the starter motor... the bearing in went bad...

I had the generator pulled, the starter replaced, the valves adjusted (required maintence) and the generator reinstalled... by Johnnie Walker RV in Las Vegas.

The certified technition then used a manometer to measure the propane coming through the regulator at the tank... it was not regulating properly... he adjusted it to the correct number if inches.

Wow, better than new.

If I haven't run the generator for a few weeks I still turn on the kitchen stove eye to pull the freshest propane out of the tank into the piping to give the generator the best possible conditions for starting.

BTW... the prime button does work with the propane.

note: Our friend, Jim Allen (ex service manager at Lance MFG) was national rep for generac before Lance.. He is available for answers if we get stuck even though he is now boss over the UAV facility (Preditors/Reapers/Advengers) in Calif that my wife and I visited in May.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Generac Propane Generator Impact 36LP plus 2
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS