|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Winter in Texas

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sandybc

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

after a month in the Palm Springs area, we thought we would try Texas for about 6 weeks. Where would be a good place to stay?, we would like to go to the Gulf of Mexico area. Which route would be best via Arizona? Thanks in advance for any information.

Paw Paw Festus

Borger TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was going to winter on the Texas Gulf coast, I'd go to Port Aransas and stay at Pioneer RV. We just left there last week and We LOVED IT! We could live there forever.

mwallace61

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really enjoyed Bentsen Palms Village in Mission.

Mike & Karen
ForrestGump the Wonder Dog
USA

DraginRat

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, Rockport/Fulton are all great places to be. Get down here, find a place to stay short term, and look around. I am sure you will find a place to fall in love with..........and at a cost much less than most places in Florida, and many in Arizona.

Now then, the RGV is also nice I hear. Way too many people down there for our taste, but that is our problem, and many, many people love it down there, so it must have a lot to offer.

Whereever you go, I would be willing to bet that the local folk will treat you very well.

Good luck on what and where ever you choose.

Ken Gasabarri

oh, and try Raintree RV Park in Rockport. We have been staying here for 5 years and love it. This is an equal RVing park as we have 4 or 5 Canadian couples that stay here.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 05:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, via Arizona unless you want to go down into Mexico. Ha!
The quickest route would be to take I-10 all the way to San Antonio, TX then I-37 to Corpus Christi or at least towards it. Once in the area you can go up the coast or on down to the Lower Rio Grande Velley.

If you like to get off the interstates to travel, take US 90 at Van Horne to go the "river" route to the Lower Rio Grande Valley; take US 277 at Del Rio on to Carrizo Springs then US 83 the rest of the way via Laredo, Mission, etc.

Wintering/Snowbirding Southern New Mexico & Arizona. ** Varied Possible Areas in Texas to Winter

Getting to your winter spot, you might find some of these neat to see on the way there.
In Arizona:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseac........d/23291561/gotomsg/23291807.cfm#23291807

Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Chiricahua

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

In the Bisbee Area: The town itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Site of a lot of wild west history, but very commercial. Queen

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation Texas Canyon a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. http://www.amerind.org/
Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area. Stronghold

In the Tucson area: Saguaro National Park near Tucson is great to see. Two sections seperated by Tucson. East and West.
Saguaro

The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. Zoo
Old Tucson

In New Mexico:
City of Rocks State Park Rocks
City of Rocks Or Pancho Villa State Park Pancho

Texas State Parks are really nice: Parks
South Llano River State Park adjoins Walter Buck Wildlife Management Area, south of Junction is great as is Pedernales Falls State Park in Blanco County east of Johnson City. We have been to both. Llano
Falls
LBJ's Ranch is near Johnson City as well as a Texas State Wildflower Museum-like place, the Lyndon B. Johnson State Park and Historic Site is between JC and Fredericksburg (neat place to see as well), across the road from the LBJ Ranch a National Park now. LBJ Ranch
LBJ State Park
City
Nimitz

Balmorhea State Park is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park) are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Ft. Davis a nice place to see. Balmorhea

Goliad State Park is located by Goliad with a nice campground on the San Antonio River. (a lot of Texas History in this area, some from same time as the famous Alamo fight) Been to it and would go back.Goliad

* This post was last edited 10/17/09 05:57pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

rgriley

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/09 09:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We highly recommend Victoria Palms Resort in Donna Texas .

Ron Butler

Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. or points between.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's several more places I would suggest.

Drop down to I-8 and go south at Gila Bend on 85 into Ajo - 2 great Mexican resturants on the north end going into "town". Go on south and take in the Organ Pipe NP.

Come back north to Why - don't blink or you'll miss it - and take Highway 86 east into Tucson.

Along I - 10 east of Tucson I would recommend Butterfields RV Park at Benson - great observatory that you can take in at night on site. The 2 or 3 trains that roar through town at night are noisey however! Take a tour of Karchner Caverns - will need reservations.

I WOULD recommend Tombstone! Yes, very commercialized overall, but it is a western landmark. Go through the courthouse and the old newspaper office and you'll get the feeling of the real history. Boothill should be toured as well. The worlds largest rose tree is worth a visit as well.

We resign ourselves to I-10 to get into Texas. At Las Cruces, go south into LaMesa, but leave your rig at the visitors center. Streets are WAY to narrow for an RV, but a great little southwestern plaza town.

Into Texas, drop down into Big Bend NP, but make sure you have filled all tanks, fuel and water. The park is BIG!! If you don't want to get that far south into that part of Texas, stay on I-10 to Kent, then take 118 through the Davis Mts. to Fort Davis. Great drive and lots of history at Ft. Davis. Drop south to Alpine and take 90 east on into the RGV. On 90, take the loop into Langtry TX and Judge Roy Bean fame.

From Brownsville and the RGV, you have all of the gulf coast to enjoy with sunshine, white beaches and great seafood!!

Enjoy your trip.

[b]Ron & Carolyn Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ. [b][COLOR=#000066]GO HUSKIES[/COLOR][/b] [url=http://picasaweb.google.com/RonButler6][b]Our Trip Pictures[/b][/url] [url=http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/ronandcarolynstravels][b]Ron & Carolyns Travels[/b] [/url]

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

oh boy

winnipeg,manitoba,canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/09 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those two gave you a good idea of whats out there. Sadly, of all mentioned I disliked Tombstone the most. Just way way to commercialized. We stay at Ransom Rd in Aransass Pass. Free ferry rides over to the island and nice round trip into Corpus Christie. We will be there mid Nov to Dec before heading into the Valley. As stated both Victoria and Llano Grande Rv parks are nice but higher end but there are also a lot of parks in the Valley. Just type in any town along the valley highway and there will be a listing of the parks.
One week to flocking south...

Ian/Mary/Rusty
wire fox terror
03 Dodge Ram 3500,4x4,QC,
Line X,Hijacker 16K slider,
09 Titanium 32E37RSA

B W M

Princeton IN.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/09 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sandybc wrote:

after a month in the Palm Springs area, we thought we would try Texas for about 6 weeks. Where would be a good place to stay?, we would like to go to the Gulf of Mexico area. Which route would be best via Arizona? Thanks in advance for any information.

I 10 is a very good way to get to south TX. Donna TX has 4-6 camp grounds. There is a crossing to Mexico that is very nice close to Donna.It is a very clean place.

03-3500 laramie 4x4 6 speed 3.73 gear Jake brake triple piller isspro gauges 04-38ft fifth wheel Prowler AX-6 100gal in bed fuel tank volant air intake tool box Utra-Fab air deflector Tom Tom 720

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/09 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LaMesa is a different place, south of Las Cruces towards El Paso, RE: "At Las Cruces, go south into LaMesa, but leave your rig at the visitors center. Streets are WAY to narrow for an RV, but a great little southwestern plaza town." The one they ment is Mesilla, sometimes called La Mesilla or Old Mesilla.

La Mesa is "famous" for Chope's Restaurant and it's chilies rellenos, enchiladas, tamales, and tacos. I have been hearing about Chope's for years, but have not gone there. And La Mesa is on the way to Kilbourne Hole * BLM Site.

* This post was edited 10/18/09 02:28pm by DesertHawk *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Winter in Texas
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.