|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
g1g

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 12:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen many post that it takes days or a week to see Yellowstone NP. What is there to do besides seeing & doing the obvious like gysers, animals, hiking & fishing

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 12:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, I was really disappointed. I couldn't find any fireworks displays, or Shakespeare plays in over a week. That is one of the greatest displays that Mother Nature has put together in the world. It may not be what you are looking for.

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 02:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Besides the things you mentioned ("seeing & doing the obvious like gysers, animals, hiking & fishing "), there are horse back rides, ranger led hikes & presentations, boat rides, shopping & eating out (even fancy lodge restaurants) if these interest you, but just seeing the sights along the roads will take a bit of time if you want to see them all.

We made our 3rd trip this summer, first one in 1986 and the second one was a year or two after the bad fire in early '90s maybe. So no experts here at all. The link below is a brief account of our trip last August. My back was hurting, therefore we did not do a lot of walking, nor did we stay very long. We are planning, LW, to go back next year anyway.

No golfing in the park if you are into it. Ha! But there are museums and displays. If into backcountry hiking, it would be a whole different world. Just the wildlife viewing can take a lot of time, if done correctly. Even incorrectly, like we do.

We did not visit alot of the things along the route between West Thumb & Canyon and did not go down south of West Thumb. We did not choose to leave by way of the Tetons, but plan on entering by them next year, LW.

It is a big place, lots to see. Too bad they had a fire again this fall. But it will recover.

Our Quick Visit To Yellowstone

Hope the above will help.

Things to Do

Boating

Horses & other stock

Fishing

On one trip we had our canoe, Luis Lake was nice to canoe on.

Canoeing

Canoe & Kayak School

The last two were just sites I found on the listing from NPS site. Can't say how good they are or not? Just examples of what one can do there.

Stores

Lodges

The Tetons are really a must see as well. Colter Bay Visitor Center & Indian Arts Museum is a must see there. Tetons
Special Programs
From June through September craft demonstrations and museum tours are offered, as well as other interpretive programs.
Exhibits
The Indian Arts Museum displays some of the David T. Vernon Collection, an impressive variety of American Indian artifacts donated by the Rockefeller family.

* This post was edited 10/20/09 02:31am by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

tiptoe tommy

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 02:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spend a day driving the Beartooth Highway out the NE entrance through the Lamar Valley. Spend another day at Mammoth Hot Springs and take a dip in the Boiling River. Spend a day at the Canyon and the middle of the park. Spend a day down by Yellowstone Lake. Spend a day in the geyser basin and swim in the Firehole River.

And if you come all that way and don't spend at least a couple of days in the Tetons you have missed the boat.

Family that loves to camp as often as we can! Two kids, 16 and 13

1999 Coleman SeaPine PUP
GO COUGS!

Retiredblade

Western, Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 04:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-uswest wrote:

Yeah, I was really disappointed. I couldn't find any fireworks displays, or Shakespeare plays in over a week. That is one of the greatest displays that Mother Nature has put together in the world. It may not be what you are looking for.

Mike

I agree Mike, it is great just to sit in your car and watch a large herd of Bison swim across a river, or see a bear with her cub. I could stay there a week with and mot miss neon lights, amusement parks, etc.
I took my 15 year old grand daughter to the Grand Canyon for the first time and we looked down into the canyon and I said, "what do you think?" she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing, like no big deal. Young people today have to be constantly entertained and on cell phone talking or texting, even while driving. I told her last month, I'll take you to Maine next summer, she always wanted to go, I said one condition, you leave that cell phone at home. Looks like she won't be going to Maine!

TallTeam

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 04:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The place is big.

It takes at least a day each to drive to the 4 or 5 different regions of the park.

We spent one day watching the wolves through spotting scopes in the Lamar Valley. I think we saw the largest falls that same day.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 05:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

g1g wrote:

I have seen many post that it takes days or a week to see Yellowstone NP. What is there to do besides seeing & doing the obvious like gysers, animals, hiking & fishing
Yup, Thats all there is (thank God). We spent 10 days there last June, & still didn't see it all, we only made a day trip to the Tetons, next time we will do it right.
Let's see, geysers, falls, rivers,animals, hiking fishing, just spending time in all Gods splendor, Yup thats all.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

huntram

Fulltiming in the RV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retiredblade wrote:

mike-uswest wrote:

Mike

I took my 15 year old grand daughter to the Grand Canyon for the first time and we looked down into the canyon and I said, "what do you think?" she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing, like no big deal. Young people today have to be constantly entertained and on cell phone talking or texting, even while driving.

I guess it's how you bring them up. My 18 year old son just hiked down the GC to the river with my best friend, spent the night and hiked back up. I have periphial Nueopothy in my feet so I can't hike that far.
They had a great time, and nobody shrugged their shoulders! [emoticon]
Of course we have been camping with our kids since they were babies.
Brian

Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.

mecreature

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope to find out.

spitfirepete

Great Outdoors RV resort

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We put 300 miles on the toad inside Yellowstone while we were there and did not see everything....The place is huge.

Peter and Linda
2011 Tiffin Phaeton
2007 Saturn Vue toad
Bichon and Cocker (spoiled puppies)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.