|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JaBob

Roswell, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were there for a week this past August and I would say that's about right. The distances to travel was unexpected to me. You don't get in the care and travel 5 minutes to the next place. It's a big big park.

Bob

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have noted, in my opinion, a week is no where close to enough time to fully enjoy the park. Trust me when I say, Im not a Big hiker or fishermen, so even with these constraints, Id love to spend a month in the park. If you need constant "entertainment" and watching wildlife, gazing at beautiful scenery, viewing geyers and mudpots, swimming in thermal fed rivers and JUST plain having Fun in nature, your still in luck.......West Yellowstone has things to do to keep you busy and if you want some night life action, go down to Jackson Hole or go to a rodeo, play, horseback ride, chuckwagon Dinner etc etc.

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We were there for a week this past August and I would say that's about right. The distances to travel was unexpected to me. You don't get in the care and travel 5 minutes to the next place. It's a big big park.
I think this may answer the OP's question. I've spent more than a year of my life in the park (not all at once, but divided between 3 summers working there and a great many 1-week visits since) and still haven't done & seen everything. Being nature, things change all the time. Tons of wildlife to see, geysers, waterfalls, etc. Good list of activities provided by DesertHawk. Visit the Yellowstone section of nps.gov for ideas.

Be advised there is no TV reception in most of the park, and cellphones generally won't work either. One of the years-ago slogans of the park was "A World Apart," and that certainly applies. [emoticon] Enjoy!

JohnJ

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 08:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is only about six hours from home to West Yellowstone and we make the trek at least once a year. We ALWAYS find something new to do in the park. If you are interested in photography Yellowstone is probably the best wildlife and landscape photography source this side of Alaska. On top of that I never get tired of the gysers and the paint pots. I don't know how anyone could ever be disappointed in the park.

JohnJ
2001 Ford F350 PSD 4x4 Dually
1998 Coachmen Prospera 5th wheel

BaldyD1

Central Florida area

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

g1g, Plenty to do and see for as long as you may spend there because there are large areas with many sites in each area and wildlife abounds all around the park. Recommend at least a week; maybe 2 or 3.

Retiredblade, My wife visited the Grand Canyon when she was 13 and was not impressed except to say "big hole isn't it". She was extremely impressed with the canyon when we visited it 2 yrs ago. She could not believe that she wasn't impressed as a youngster. Believe that most (not all) youngsters do not have the breadth of comprehension for such spectactular sites; but, after growing into adulthood, the expanse of God's natural creations are much more appreciated.

Spelle checque seams to no werkin agen.

Speedy, Jackie & Dusty {Shih-Tzu/Maltese}
2006 Kountry Star KSDP 3912
2005 Saturn Vue (dinghy)

mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been there three times, over a week each, I am into watching the wildlife, and as has been said, it is always changing. We went there on our honeymoon and still had time for hiking and fishing.[emoticon] Was there the second and third week of September a few years ago, and with the Elk in rut, it was one of the greatest trips that I have ever taken.

Mike

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There for a week in 2005 was not long enough - will be going back after retirement and take our time.

On another note we had friends who said they saw it in "...3 or 4 hours...". Have no clue as to what they saw -- think they came in the North entrance and out the West. OhWell - Diff'rentStrokes float your boat.

TwilightOwl68

Central IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/09 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent 8 days this past summer exploring Yellowstone and GTNP. It wasn't enough time, but what we did do will leave us with wonderful memories for a lifetime. Our 14 and 11 year old kids were never bored.

Angie

Dh, ds (14), dd (11) and Max the Lab/Golden mix wonderdog
2006 Keystone Hornet 29 FBS
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel

Mike W

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we've finally hit it for you...it is a BIG place and it takes a while to get to thru the 4 quadrants of the park. Each is different so you will lose out if you do not try each. We did 8 days in 2007 and we saw a lot, but not enough.We were moving almost all the time. You need time to just sit and stay for a while too. You may be driving to a trail head for a hike and see something along the roadside you want to stop and watch. It could take 15 minutes it could take 2 hours. Someone above mentioned watching a herd of bison crossing a river. We came across just that very thing and sat and watched for more than an hour. Took like 200 pictures. Incredible site. Do the trail ride and Roosevelt Cookout.

1987 Executive Diplomat 35
Sad Days
Sold my baby
">

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/09 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And don't even bother to ask "is there wi-fi somewhere?" NO...it wasn't called Wonderland for nothing.

You can spend weeks, months, years maybe..everyone is different. Forty two days off in the park this summer and just scratched the surface. [emoticon] [emoticon]

Happy Trails ">
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.