RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Four Corners in 2010

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ned wrote:

Rather than Meteor Crater, I'd head northeast of Flagstaff to Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument and Bonito (Coconino Nat'l Forest) Campground. Beautiful volcanic area with nice, spacious camping, hot and cold water and flush restrooms.
This is another good suggestion IMHO.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, in that area, see Wapiti Ruins.

Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

docfitch

Pinon Hills, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is why I like to plan well in advance. I appreciate all of the great ideas. I guess there are places to add and probably shorten our stay in Mesa Verde. We plan to take at least 3 weeks so there won't be a problem adjusting and adding to the trip. Keep the ideas coming. Thanks, Ken

2003 Dodge 2500 Quadcab Hemi, 5 sp. auto.,3.73 with Firestone airbags
1993 Elkhorn 9TS Camper
1982 CJ5 occasional toad

Remember ... no matter where you go, there you are!

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/09 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I remember Mesa Verde, there were two main long branches to the road and I was there only one day and only went down one of them. I think from the campground if you stay there you can take a tour down each of them on a day, so I think 4 days is excessive unless you have ulterior motives.
I hate to DeJaVualloveragain, but depending on what you want to see/do in monument valley passing thru will show you "some" of the formations and watch two old John Wayne Oaters and you sill see enough of the rest. [emoticon]
two nights in chaco canyon will give you one whole day to explore that but I just went in and out in one day and saw plenty.
bumpy

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/09 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpy is correct about "seeing" Chaco on a quick in and out. If you are hikers, I suggest that you take a hike to Palo Alto as well as seeing the sights from the road. One spring we were at the Great Kiva at sunrise during Spring Equinox. The sun rose through the doorway and iluminated the niche in the wall that marks the event.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

docfitch

Pinon Hills, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/09 01:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all of the advice. I am making changes as I read. Ken

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/09 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At Grand Canyon, We have always stayed in campgrounds out of the park. We found the park on south side by Flagstaff is close enough to Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument with camping nearby where we have stayed to see the area. There is no camping in the monument.

However, Bonito Campground , operated by the US Forest Service, is located across from the visitor center at Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument which is on the loop road which goes by the Homolovi Ruins. Edit: No, make that Wupatki National Monument.[emoticon] This campground is generally open from late May through mid-October. There are no hook-ups. There are nice campgrounds on the north side at the park and if full in the Nat'l Forest just before getting into the park. We stayed outside the park when there in summer and park cg was full. While at the Canyon or on the way to it, these are neat places to see as well. Not far from Flagstaff, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and on the same looping hwy, Wupatki National Monument.
Sunset Crater & Wupatki

Off of I-40 by Winslow, Arizona, Homolovi Ruins State PARK.

On I-40 Take exit 257 for AZ-87 toward Second Mesa 0.4 mi; Turn left at AZ-87/I-40 Bus/E Second St (signs for AZ-87/Second Mesa)
Continue to follow AZ-87 1.5 mi; Turn left at Honani Rd.

Dispersed Camping Grand Canyon Area

* This post was edited 05/02/10 11:09am by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

mosseater

Dillsburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/09 01:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When stopping at four corners, make sure your on-board facilities are up to snuff. You don't want to venture into the jiffy-john forest. And park up-wind! Been there, didn't lose anything there that I need to go back for.

"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/09 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4runnerguy wrote:

Between Mesa Verde and Black Canyon the Gunnison lies some of the best scenery in the lower 48. I think I'd forgo a couple of nights at Mesa Verde to explore the area around Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride. There are two main routes to head north, and with your rig, I'd definitely recommend US 550. There are some good boondocking locations around Silverton. We often spend a week in and around Silverton every year. You can bring your CJ or rent a jeep there to explore miles of amazing backcountry.

Lauren wrote:

I would forgo 3 of the nights in Mesa Verde and spend at least one day at Monument Valley and items 4runnerguy mentions. You can't really see much of MV driving on the highway.

4runnerguy wrote:

Ned wrote:

Rather than Meteor Crater, I'd head northeast of Flagstaff to Sunset Crater Nat'l Monument and Bonito (Coconino Nat'l Forest) Campground. Beautiful volcanic area with nice, spacious camping, hot and cold water and flush restrooms.
This is another good suggestion IMHO.

Monument Valley is a must ā€“ San Juanā€™s and the 4x4 trails are/have been the highlight on every trip to the areas.

Follow the advice given by most of the posters and your trip will not only be fun but memorable.

These two live in Colorado and Lauren drives the route a couple times a year, so this advice comes from a wealth of experience from travels in the areas. Sounds like a great trip, might just see if you could squeeze in Antelope Canyon, just out side Page ā€“ would also give you a good day on Lake Powell.

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

AGBAT

Tierra Encantada

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/09 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While in Albu. Drop the trailer and drive up to Tent Rocks (near Cochiti Lake) then continue up into the Jemez past Valle Grande to Bandalier Nat Monument then back down through Los Alamos and Santa Fe to Albu. It is a nice 4-5 hr drive depending on how long you spend at Bandalier.

Near Winslow, AZ is Homolovi Ruins State Park that makes a good stop and sightseeing. It has hook-ups and pull through spaces for about the same price as the commercial parks in Winslow.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.