|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> The old girl is back - where to start

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 71  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
keith and sharon

Van Nuys, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 01:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks like in the first picture of the Master cylinder that that is your main master cylinder with one chamber empty, that is usually for either front or rear brakes. the later picture with the master cylinder on the vacuum booster looks to be for the tag, have you check the oil in the tag cylinder by removing the screw on top? but it looks like you need to check and bleed the main cylinder and see if you have any leaks at any of your non-tag wheels. Which line does the tag system "T" into, that one is probably your rear brakes and goes to one of the reservoirs on the main master cylinder.

2008 Tiffin Allegro 32BA
2009 F150 Platinum Super Crew
2008 Escape Hybrid (toad)
FMCA #F402618

SD00

Middletown, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, I was just looking at the top engine and noticed the fuel line to the carb from the fuel pump, It's written right on ot
NOT FOR FUEL, I WOULD CHANGE THAT. Also the small hose between the thermostat housing and waterpump, I've had that go, IT'S A tough one to replace.
Mickey

The Journey, either stopped or moving, by choice or circumstance, is the Joy of the challenge.
">">

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mchero wrote:

When Steve spoke of the distributor I recall the "good Ol Days" when I was at Automotive school. They had these real cool Sun distributor machines. Had a wheel that you would clamp the bottom (gear end) of the distributor to. Also had a clamp that would hold it secure. You would clip a lead to the points and fire it up. The wheel (with an arrow on it) would start spinning. Each time the points would open a strobe above the wheel would flash. If it was a distributor for a v-8 you would see 8 stationary arrows on the wheel. Around the outside of the wheel was gratuation marks, 360 of them (360 deg.)! One could looks at the marks & determins if ANY of the lobes (under points) where off. You could also measure the mechanical advance curve by varying the rpm of the wheel. You chould check for bad bushings (marks would vary between degree marks) You could even check the vaccuum advance using an adjustable vaccuum pump on the machine!
Man, if you could find one of these machines you can tell if a distributor was good or REALLY bad!
Actually, you can just connect up an oscilloscope and do the same thing.

IRV2

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/18/09 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good eyes SDOO

corgi-traveler

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, it's like deja vu reading this thread. We bought an 88 Bounder in Dec of 2007 and reading your restoration is like an instant replay of ours! Including sorting out all of the leaks and "wire soup" before we ever took her out, the ride on a wrecker on our maiden voyage, fuel rushing out of the tank faster than it was being pumped in, right down to the radiator recore. When we redid the radiator we replaced everything involved in the cooling system.. from the thermostat all the way back to the fan clutch and water pump. Did a new alternator while we were down there too, even though the old one was fine, it was never going to be that easy to get to again, and on a 20+ year old system, it's not if a part will fail, it's when. I've kept a log of everything we've replaced in the Bounder, both mechanical and cosmetic. Single spaced and size 12 font, the document is on its 3rd page!
After replacing the cooling system we got much better performance. Our old girl has been sidelined since April, no fault of hers, just that life got in the way of taking her anywhere. We're taking a simple little camping trip right after Christmas to shake her down again, then getting back to regular use in February. At some point we need professional service on the generator (choke linkage is missing and it runs way too rich), and I'd love to replace the carpet with Allure..love all those photos of yours!
Good luck on your never-ending journey.

Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Diva and Dexter, and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16

SD00

Middletown, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/09 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevelv wrote:

They pulled the tanks off the old 4 tube core and didn't find a lot of debris inside - so we decided to install a 5 tube core instead - makes it a little thicker but gives that extra 20% cooling capacity.

Installation was basically a reverse of the removal process but remembering to install the top transmission cooler before putting the radiator back in as it was completely inaccessible afterwards.

Couple points:
When I had to do radiator work a few years back,'02, I chose to replace the r=it. Finding one was a chore so I bought a 4 core step van one at Kragen's, $350 if I remember right, they're $450 now. I then had to move the fill opening, only difference between the two, and it bolted right in.
ALSO, seeing that you have the extra cooling capacity, I would consider eliminating the external cooler and use the built in one. My thought on improving air flow.
Mickey

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/09 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The road test! Going to be able to take her out Sunday Steve?

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Mike Hohnstein

Germantown, Wi

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several vacuum brake set ups for Q-jet. As long as cold starts lean out well and secondaries open clean, all good. Old carb had primary secondary, new is all on the secondary. I like vac advance controlled by intake signal. I find that backing off dist. past ping does the job fine.
I have used manual retard control in the past, Mallory I think. Just the ticket if you get some weak gas.

SD00

Middletown, ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
I'm trying a way to post pictures to see if it works. I'll remove the post, shortly after,if I can.

Didn't work.

* This post was last edited 12/26/09 07:55pm by SD00 *   View edit history

wareagle11949

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/09 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steve, Just curious as to what background you have that enables you to do so many different things. I am jealous [emoticon]

Jim

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 71  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> The old girl is back - where to start
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS