RV.Net Open Roads Forum: From Florida, Yellowstone or Yosemite?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> From Florida, Yellowstone or Yosemite?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
chompchomp

Port Orange, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry about that,Marv Hoag. We are in a 30' motorhome dragging a Jeep Wrangler (I've added that to my signature). We absolutely adore Dead Horse SP; in fact, that was the highlight of our trip west. The following is a picture of our crew back at DHP after a day of adventures in Lil Red.

[image]

We'll probably spend a week there.

It's looking more and more like Yellowstone. So Spitfire, are you saying from Florida, we should start for Utah and then work north? Are there any southeasterners out there who've linked destinations similar to ours into a successul route?

Thanks again for such valuable info everyone.

2008 Itasca Sunova 35J Motorhome
2003 Jeep Wrangler X Toad
1996 Key West 19CC Sportsman, 115 Yamaha

jimw606

Morehead, Ky.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in Yellowestone in August, and I am ready to go back. Spectacular place.
Thermopolis, Wind Canyon, Bighorn Mtns, Estes Park Co. Mt Rushmore etc.
We just didn't plan enough time. Jim

spitfirepete

Great Outdoors RV resort

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It depends on when you go....We wanted to get past Utah before the hot weather and we left in late May....

We went across I-10 to TX then to LBJ Ranch and George Bush Library then to AZ and visited Tombstone and Cottonwood/Sedona area then up to Lake Powell and across to Kanab Utah to visit Dogtown and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...then to Zion....I just cant wait to return to Utah, what amazing scenery.

Lots to see in all those places...go to bureau of tourism website for each state and they will send you maps and guides free.

Dont Miss RT 12 in Utah from Bryce to Torrey and Capitol Reef NP....great scenic drive and park.

Peter and Linda
2011 Tiffin Phaeton
2007 Saturn Vue toad
Bichon and Cocker (spoiled puppies)

dmatt

Ventura County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/09 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Yosemite a number of times and really love it there. There is so much to do and see each trip. I have never been to Yellowstone but it is on my bucket list.

Many have said that there is a difference in the water falls from spring to summer and let me tell you....THERE IS:

Yosemite Falls in mid-April
[image]

Same spot, only taken in August:
[image]

2018 F150 FX4, 3.5 EB, max tow
2019.5 Lance 2375
Madison-the loveable old lady of the dog clan
Riley-our rescued Black Lab
Scout-the new crazy Australian Shepherd puppy

Our camping photos

tiptoe tommy

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would head to Yellowstone given you are from Florida. Don't skip the Tetons just to the south. They are worth at least 2-3 days. Try Colter Bay RV and rent boats/kayaks at the Marina nearby.

Utah is hard to beat, but if you can find a way to squeeze at least three days in Glacier in you won't regret it. St. Mary's is a great home base.

Are you taking the kids in the photo? If so, make sure to swim in the Boiling River and Firehole Canyon in Yellowstone. Grant and Canyon are both great CG's with kids with amenities nearby. Drive the Wrangler over the Beartooth Highway on a day trip. And visit the Museum of the Rockies in nearby Bozeman.

Family that loves to camp as often as we can! Two kids, 16 and 13

1999 Coleman SeaPine PUP
GO COUGS!

sparker1

St Petersburg, Fl, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 06:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You've gotten great advice so far. I just want to emphasize the advice to visit Glacier NP. Yellowstone and Grand Tetons can be done in as little as a week, two weeks allows more time for hiking, etc. It's only one day to reach GNP, and you will love it. Be sure to see Two Medicine, Many Glacier and Waterton Lakes (in Canada, so check entry/re-entry requirements). The best hiking is on the east side, but there are good campgrounds on both sides.

There are many things to see along the way. We usually pick a route we haven't done lately, then ID all the things we want to see along the way. Even if it takes us out of the way, we try to see things that are new to us. We try to avoid the interstates unless we are in a hurry.

Stan

2002 Monaco Windsor DP
2003 Honda Pilot

Travel photos at Photo Gallery

Hjudge49

St. Augustine, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 09:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to add my 2 cents. We did the Yellowstone/Tetons in 2007, then South to all the places you went last summer. In 2008, we did the Custer/Cody/ Mt Rushmore/ badlands area on the way to Alaska. If I were you, I'd head North thru Atlanta, from there, go spend a couple of days in either Nashville or Memphis, depending on your music preference, then to St. Louis, Kansas City, Sioux Falls and turn west thru the Dakotas. I know the first few days are pretty boring, but once you get into the Dakotas, you can hit the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Sturgis, Lead and Speaarfish. Then Northwest to Cody and either go in the East entrance to Yellowstone (staying at Fishing Bridge Campground) or continue North into Montana, check out the Custer battleground, and go in the North entrance to the Park. If you like comfort, stay at Grizzly Campground in West Yellowstone (on of the nicest campgounds we've visited). Plan on spending several days on each side of the Park, more if you fly fish. Then go South to the Tetons and see Jackson. Colter Bay is a good place to base for that area, the campgrounds in Jackson are crowded and overpriced. A "don't miss" town is Dubois, about 60 miles East of the Tetons. The Dubois KOA is right on the Wind River. The last time we were there, our motor home was backed in within feet of the river and we could fish in our backyard, then sit around the campfire and listen to the river run past. I hope you enjoy this area as much as we did.

lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have had great advice and having been to both Yellowstone and Yosimite from Florida, I agree that Yellowstone is your best bet for the time of year and time allowed. In reponse to your request for information from folks from the southeast; We traveled from our home in NC, north of Atlanta, to the Four Corners area last May. We did the Grand Circle of parks and recreational areas in Arizona and Utah. Our traveling companions went on from Salt Lake City to Yellowstone. I like Hjude49's suggestions above, but you might want to consider going to the southwest first. It gets pretty hot in Mohab by June and there is still snow in Yellowstone. I will be happy to send you a pm with our itinerary if you think it would help. lizzie

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sparker1 wrote:

You've gotten great advice so far. I just want to emphasize the advice to visit Glacier NP. Yellowstone and Grand Tetons can be done in as little as a week, two weeks allows more time for hiking, etc. It's only one day to reach GNP, and you will love it. Be sure to see Two Medicine, Many Glacier and Waterton Lakes (in Canada, so check entry/re-entry requirements). The best hiking is on the east side, but there are good campgrounds on both sides.

There are many things to see along the way. We usually pick a route we haven't done lately, then ID all the things we want to see along the way. Even if it takes us out of the way, we try to see things that are new to us. We try to avoid the interstates unless we are in a hurry.

Stan is giving you good advice -- take a look at his Photo Album to see some of the things he is suggesting -- Great Pic's of a lot of great areas.

On a personal note, the San Juan's are our favorite in the Summer as the crowds are a lot less than the NP's -- to be able to get on the 4x4 trails are some of the best times we have ever had,

Enjoy your trip where ever you go -- not any wrong choices,

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/09 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yellowstone is far neater than Yosemite.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> From Florida, Yellowstone or Yosemite?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.