RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where to spend Thanksgiving on the TX Gulf Coast?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Where to spend Thanksgiving on the TX Gulf Coast?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
brn2romethewest

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need some advice,

Get a four day weekend for Thanksgiving. Planing to head to the Corpus Christi area to spend some time with wife and kids (teenagers). Never been there before and I am looking for some tips, hints, locations to camp. Thought about trying to Boondock on the beach for a night or two. If we don't like it, we plan on moving to an RV park. Is the beach and RV parks crowded at Thanksgiving time?

2004 KZ Durango 275RK,
2006 Dodge RAM 3500 (Big Hips edition)

admiral0647

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might enjoy staying at Marina Beach RV Resort http://www.mbrvresort.com/ in Port Aransas, just north of Corpus Christi. We visited there this summer and the park was on out short list for a winter address.

Port Aransas is accessible from the mainland via free ferry.
Our Class A would fit the ferry no problem. There is also a land rout to Port Aransas from the north.

Port Aransas is a "tourist community" and the RV park is right in the heart of the activity. Many residents have golf carts and drive them right out on the beach. Golf cart rentals are also available in town. Being flat, bicycles would work well also.

On the other hand we did spend 5 days in Corpus Christi at Puerto del Sol RV Park. Though the staff was friendly, and its location is next to a public beach and local attractions, we were disappointed in the way the park was maintained. In fact while we were there there was evidence of a total lack of maintenance. If you want a park on the water then this is it, but I do not believe we will be staying there again.

Good luck and happy camping...

Jim

I started with nothing... and have most of it left.

Damon Challenger 377c
Toyota Yaris Dingy
Scottish Terrier

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/09 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Malquite Beach (inside the National Seashores Park) has a dump station and a paved parking lot if you're into dry camping. It's right on the beach. If you'd prefer parking on the sand you can also do that, just drive onto the beach (south of Malquite) and pick your spot. The first 5 miles south of Malquite are is excellent shape and can be driven without 4wd. The parking lot doesn't start filling up until Thanksgiving Day which is when some of the Snow Birds start pulling in. There's also open parking on the inland side. Parking at Malquite is about $8/nite plus the park entrance fee of about $12 for 7 days. There is wind surfing equipment available for rent on the inland side and surf fishing, beach combing, hiking, shell collecting, etc for fun activities. If you've got bicycles, motorcycles or 4wd you can trek 50 miles down the beach to the old shipwreck. Oh, there also a little store at Malquite if you've forgotten something. I've spent the last two Thanksgivings there and plan on going again this year. Have to find some of the "hamburger nuts" that washed up on shore from Brazil.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/09 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mustang Island or Padre Island Nat'l Seashore for sure, depending on how much boondocking you are wanting to do.

Some choices:

A nice area for sure. Rockport & Fulton Area on the Texas Gulf Coast close to Corpus Christi.

Goose Island State Park, surrounded by the St. Charles and Aransas Bays, is located north of Rockport & near Fulton in Aransas County. Nice area by the Gulf of Mexico. I want to do this one someday. We have driven by this area, but have not stayed here. It is one I have on my to do list. Goose Island

Mustang Island State Park with about 5 miles of beach on the Gulf of Mexico in Nueces County, south of Port Aransas. Fishing We liked this one for the beach. We spend several days here one summer. Mustang Island

Also near Corpus Christi & Mustang Island, Padre Island Nat'l Park could be also. Nat'l SeaShore

North of Rockport, Matagorda>>>Information>>>>>>Campgrounds

We enjoyed the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi. It was really neat. There is an old Navy Aircraft Carrier next to it as well, the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay. Enjoyed them both. Fish
USS Lex

Museums: South Texas Institute for the Arts *** Museums *** Free Entry Dates - Museums

We enjoyed getting a bunch of Shrimp from a Sea Food Market on the way to & from Padre Island. So fresh, so good. We just had to buy some crab boil and boiled them, one of my favorite ways to do them, just behind doing them on the BBQ grill. This one looks good in Rockport/Fulton Area and I can not remember the one on the way from Corpus to the Island, we got ours from on Causeway Blvd. Fish Markets in CC

We enjoyed the Texas Free Ferry from Port Aransas to Mustang Island or something like that. Ferry & Attractions

The Aransas National Wildlife Refuge might be neat to see as well, time allowing.

* This post was last edited 09/15/10 08:58am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

donawilcox

Taylor TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/09 12:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come Join my Brother his wife and my family. 2 fivers we will pull down on the beach at the national sea shore. no hook up but we have done this twice and only need genny to let kids watch tv at night. They also have a campground which we pulled into the last trip because tide came up to high. We do not go far down the beach. It is nice to sit in the RV and look out into the gulf and also being able to be at the RV while the kids are playing in the sand. of coarse it took us a long time to get the sand out of the RV. it was in the carpet on the stairs going up to the front and when driving it would slowly work out. There are some plus and minus. We have done this twice and ate Thansgiving dinner at Cracker Barrel both times. sure nice not fixing a big meal in the RV. We will be going down on Tuesday. Not sure if we will make it the entire way but may have to head back friday if son flag football team makes it to the championship game that Saturday. If you come out stop by and say hi. I have a cherokee fiver with a chevy durmax and my brother has a wildcat with a side entry toy hauler. If that is not your cup of tea there is a state park at mustang island and a number of Rv resort. What I have seen they are a parking lot in my opinion with dunes between you and the ocean.

have a good trip.

Don Wilcox
Taylor TX
2006 Duramax 4X4
2007 295 Cherokey by Forest River

Mike & Fran

West Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/09 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoy Pioneer RV on Mustang Island. It has beach access and close to town. We spent last thanksgiving there and had good time.Pool--Hot Tub--Next to golf course and you can drive on beach for miles. The state park is also there but didn't see much for kids to do.Oh!and don't forget lot's of good sea food!!

alicatg

ingleside on the bay texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/09 07:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanksgiving is a busy time. Your teenagers would enjoy Port Aransas. You may want to try I.B. Magee Beach Park, also known as Nuces County Park. Large sites, new showers and restrooms, elect and water hookups behind dunes or dry camp on beach. We take our bicycles and ride on beach or to town. Good fishing, watching marine traffic, and people on Aransas pass south jetty next to park. Horace Caldwell fishing pier on other side of park. Visitor center at U of Texas Marine Science Center behind park.

brn2romethewest

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/09 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well thanks for the tips. I most likely head down to National Sea Shore. Will try the area at the north end. Will definitely be a new adventure for us.Do they keep hours down there? If a drive down after work, i will get in late at night. Would want to get checked in or pay park entrance fee or what ever it is i need to pay. Thanks

Greg

donawilcox

Taylor TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

this time of the year we found they do not man the gate that much at least during the week. last time we were there every time we went out and back in no one was at the gate. We finally went in to the main office. on the rv sights there is a drop box you put it in. Are you going to stay at the camp sights or just on the beach. campsights do not have hook up either. Will say if the tide is as high as it was two years ago we will not go on the beach. We had to pull out quick on tuesday. About the time we hooked on and got in the truck a wave came up under the rv. But just have to watch the tides which were high the entire time we were there. Will be getting there myself on Wed morning or late tuesday night but not sure if we will pull out onto the beach in the dark. will be driving in from taylor.

Have fun.

donawilcox

Taylor TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/09 10:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

talked with my brother tonight and we may need to find an alternate destination. he said they are having red tides. I looked up on the national sea shore and this is what they have. Does any one know how long they are expected to last. We still have 3 weeks before we leave so I hope it will change.

here is what the national sea shore sight said

Red tide is in effect, so please contact the park at (361)949-8068 for more information before visiting.

Red Tide has been reported at the National Seashore and we ask park visitors to be cautious, especially children and visitors with breathing problems, as Red Tide can irritate the respiratory system, eyes and throat. Also, thousands of dead fish are decomposing and their bones and barbs (especially the Hard Head Catfish) can cause flat tires in vehicle traveling down island, and can also injure your foot if you are barefooted.

Red tide is a naturally occurring, higher-than-usual concentration of the microscopic algae Karenia brevis. The algae produce a toxin that affects the central nervous system of fish, so that they are paralyzed and cannot breathe. As a result, Red Tide blooms often result in dead fish washing up on the beach. When Red Tide algae reproduce in dense concentrations, or "blooms," they are sometimes visible as discolored patches of ocean water, often reddish in color. High concentrations of microscopic algae in the rough surf can cause the irritants to become suspended in the salt spray when the waves break. Red Tide affects people, and especially pets, which are near the seashore

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Where to spend Thanksgiving on the TX Gulf Coast?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.