|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of states are going to require a motorcycle endorsement that you both will have to get if you both want to be operators. 49cc and lower may be exempt, I'm not sure. At any rate, if you haven't done so, I would strongly recommend a motorcycle safety course even if you end up with a small scooter.

I, like DesertHawk, carry a dual purpose Honda as I take it on game trails, fishing, etc.

As far as choosing a scooter, good luck!!! There are way too many choices!!! Since the last gas crunch scooter stores have opened up all over the place. I see scooters on the roads that I could not even to begin to pronounce their names!!!

Personally, if I were in the market for a scooter I would go to my local name brand dealer and buy something with a warranty and a with a shop that can back it up!! JMHO!!! [emoticon]

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

sonicsix

Jerry n' Cynthia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You take a gamble on a Chinese scooter. It may last, it may not... most likely it will not. Where will you get parts? Where will you get service? These are important issues to consider.

That being said, the wife and I ride 2 Honda Ruckus scooters. We take them everywhere with as they fit in the bed of our truck. We also ride them all over, last year we rode to all 67 counties in Alabama. This year we rode the length of the Gulf Islands National Seashore. And of course, we use them to ride around the parks we stay in.

You will be safe with a Honda or Yamaha scooter. Parts are readily available and there is a dealer/service center in just about every major city. Kymco scooters are of good quality but their dealer network is still small.

With the Ruckus, it's a rugged scooter, fat tires, looks good and rides very comfortably. Changing the oil is very easy as is the routine maintenance. If you have a basic tool set, you can do everything yourself like we do. With us, we get about 112 MPG and a top speed of 43 MPH. Average speed is about 37 MPH. Much more information is available on our web site at
http://rvroadtrip.us/scooternation/.

Helmet and license laws vary by state. Insurance regulations and tag laws vary as well. We carry full coverage on both scooters, each is less than $100 per year. We tag ours as Alabama requires it plus some parks will not let you ride them if they are not tagged. Also avoids being stopped in states that require tags but your home state does not. A motorcycle safety course is highly recommended if you are a new rider. Learning how to spot and avoid careless drivers and lane splitters is your biggest issue. Lane splitters are people who pass you on the left but are still in your lane when they do it.

Here's a few pics, more on our site if you are interested.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 10/31/09 07:19am by sonicsix *

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might be able to get parts for a Honda or a Yamaha but you better keep some Vaseline around. I have a 125 Yamaha Riva and parts are crazy expensive. Electric choke over $100, float valve $30, fuel petcock $70. Sure, used parts are on Ebay but they are used and questionable.

Kymco's are made in Taiwan, parts are readily available and they are good scooters.

Another interesting scooter is a Stella. Its a vintage Vespa made in India from Vespa tools. Parts are readily available and they are all steel, good qality units. Manual shift with a clutch.

If I was looking for a new scooter, I would look hard at a Stella.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

jspringator

Versailles, KY 40383

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been wanting to test ride a Sachs Madass 125. http://www.peirspeed.com/madass125.htm 209 pounds. Should be enough power for 2 in suburban traffic. No freeways though. You have to shift it though. I've got a Xingyua ITA 150, but it weighs 290 pounds and has 16 inch wheels, that make it a little tall for the front of the Excursion. If you choose Chinese, be sure and do the PDI suggested by the ScootDawg scooter forum. I replaced every hose, fuel filter, locktited all exhaust bolts (absolutely critical!), fender bolts and any other bolt I found that didn't have a little dab of red sealant on them. I removed plastic to get to the electrical connections. I squirted dielectric grease in each plastic connector, reassembled, and sealed with silicon. I adjusted the valves right off the bat. There are good instructions on u-tube. There are scooter shops all over the place, so I haven't had any trouble getting mine fixed, but I have done everything myself except when I had a front wheel bearing go out.

Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy!

We fulltime and carry a Yamaha Majesty 400 (scooter) with us to supplement our MDT. It parks easier and get better MPG than the MDT. We had a Honda Big Ruckus 250 but it was lacking the power for riding two up on a major highway so we up graded to the Majesty.

"Happy Trails"
chiefneon

Leo Benson

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you wnat something lighter but still offering some assist, consider a hybrid electric bicycle. I love mine. It does not require a drivers lic or special motor cycle license, the battery stores a good charge, and it's electric. I got mine at R Martin bikes in Austin TX, you can google their web site.

Vans

Orygun

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John M wrote:

We have a Piaggio scooter, made by the company that makes Vespa. It's a 150cc. With one of us on it, it will do 55 mph. With both of us (about 400 lbs) it tops out at more like 45, but is fine for around town.

A proper scooter. Vespa is the marquee name in scooters.

Vans
2008 2500 6.7 Laramie Mega Cab
2010 Komfort Trailblazer T262BSLE
6 Fords and 1 Dodge truck

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.