RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Reservation required ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Reservation required ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
chateljm

paris

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello everybody,
We are a french family planning to make a 3-4 weeks RV trip in California in July 2010. My question is about the necessity to make reservations. It seems clear that for the NP campground we will need to do it but between the NPs for the campgrounds of the NF for example is it really necessary to make reservations too ? Is it really necessary to plan our trip day by day because we have to make reservations ?
Please feel free to move my topic if I didn't post in the right forum.
JM

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the Forum
Having lived and camped in California I would certainly make reservations for most anywhere in July...especially in any of the resort-attraction areas.

I realize it's hard to plan an exact itinerary this far in advance, but California is a crowded and very popular RV destination, especially in the prime month of July.
Have a good trip and enjoy your visit to America.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

mtdew999

Backwoods, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowded and popular coupled with tax difficulties in the state and the possible closures of some parks should certainly be considered. You can take your chances and if you can't find any camp spots, you could just head north to Oregon and vacation there.

Sooner Schooner

On a Roll

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, welcome to the forum and welcome to the USA, hope you have fun. Reservations can be helpful, but check their cancellation policy. Personally, I do not like to make a reservation to a place that I am unfamiliar with especially if they have a "no refund"policy. If you get there and don't like it, I would not want to lose money. Check www.rvparkreviews.com for further information on a place that you may want to visit. Helpful information there.

2008 Damon Tuscany 4076 40' Diesel Pusher

JTMO

Novato, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite, must be made 6 months ahead of time. and, everyone else is also trying to get in by phone, and computer at the same time. July is tough.
There are places outside of Yosemite valley an hour or so.

Coastal, many private and state parks. Easier to get in, but again July is like August in Ste. Maxime or St. Tropez, everyone is there.

Everyone heads to the mountains and the coast to cool off and relax.

Northern CA Redwoods, easier, less people.
And, if you have never been to Southern Oregon, the state parks along the coast are awesome. Worth it if you are planning to see the Redwoods of NorCal anyways.

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most famous and most attractive National Parks are generally very crowded during July ... so, yes reservations if you want to camp there and see it ...

National Forests - not so much. I've been camping in this country for more than fifty years, and can't remember when I could not get in a national forest campground, unless a holiday weekend and one that is close-in to a larger city ... there is a difference in the forest CG and the park CG...

If I were doing it, I'd schedule and reserve the national park site, and then spend part of the time traveling - wherever and whenever - through the national forests and take what you find. Less structure then and the freedom to enjoy your travels, and 'discover'.

I lived and camped in California for over thirty-five years - and have been on the road this time over a year, mostly in national forest campgounds and never have been 'full' -- if you have specific Q's about an area, please feel free to PM me ... M44

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

chateljm

paris

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I knew it was the right place to post ! [emoticon]
Thank you guys for your answers and suggestions.
If I understand well California is "the place to be" in July particularly the NP (like Ste Maxime or St Tropez ?? Oh My God ! [emoticon] ). We don't have yet our complete trip in mind but we know already that we want to go to King's Canyon, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, then Lassen, Mt Shasta and go back south by the coast. I hope that between the big crowded place like Yosemite and Lake tahoe we will find some small peaceful campground. What do you think ?

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/09 04:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I welcome you as well.

If your mention of NP and NF are for National Parks and National Forests, then reservations will work.
However, at this time the State Parks in California are not accepting reservations.

Reservations will be mandatory if you expect to get any spot in Ca in July, even in private campgrounds. but sorry to say, peaceful accomodations in the summer will also be scarce.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/09 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chateljm wrote:

I knew it was the right place to post ! [emoticon]
Thank you guys for your answers and suggestions.
If I understand well California is "the place to be" in July particularly the NP (like Ste Maxime or St Tropez ?? Oh My God ! [emoticon] ). We don't have yet our complete trip in mind but we know already that we want to go to King's Canyon, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, then Lassen, Mt Shasta and go back south by the coast. I hope that between the big crowded place like Yosemite and Lake tahoe we will find some small peaceful campground. What do you think ?

places like Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Lake Tahoe will require reservations for July. People start in January, for reserving sites in Yosemite for July. Lassen and Shasta are less visited. some places will need reservations but some may not.
July is the busiest month for camping in California. the popular NP and State Parks along with anything on the coast are full before summer even starts.
by the way, if you are going to Yosemite and King's Canyon, you have to go to Sequoia NP. that's not to be missed and i live in Calif. and see redwoods all the time. there is nothing on earth like the Giant Sequoias.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

chateljm

paris

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would it be less crowded in August ?
The problem is that the flight is more expensive in August.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Reservation required ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS