|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bike rack for front of TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/09 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

$500.00 is a lot of money but not compared to a conventional rack, some sort of hitch receiver and welding.
Jbarca's rack looks great but again he has at least $500.00 invested in materials and labor.
Unless you are capable of making your own I highly recommend the Topopprails rack. You won't be disappointed.

Hi Lantley,

Thanks for the good words. Actually yours and another forum members rig was what inspired me. So double thanks.

Now to the cost. Well, the Swagman rack was like $120 that I bought several years ago after the top hanging one I had had issues on the rear of the TT. The Swagman then moved to the front of the Suburban and then to the front of the new camper once the Burb found a new home.

The rest of the out of pocket, about $20. For me that is. Weld rod, bolts and paint. The metal was left overs that I had laying around. Now the time. Well that is priceless!!! The TT is my hobby and doing these kind of building mod’s is extremely therapeutic. If you took this to a welder to fab up, well it could be 3/4 to a days worth of time. And in that case, time and material could be in the 300 to $400 range. So your estimate is sound, just not for me who on the TT, works for free….

swebber wrote:

Good job there JBarca !!!

flguppie wrote:

Wow, great job JBarca (John). I think it may be more fabricating than I can pull off. I wish I had your skills.

I may have to go the toprail route since they do look good and several of you have them and think they are well made. Thanks Lantley for the pics too. If someone has another solution, I'm still all ears. :-)

FLGuppie (Gary)

Steve and Gary, thanks for your kind works too.

Gary, there is another option for a PU truck. Pending if you have a cap or not and what type Tono cover. I had a camping buddy make a double rack out of wood that went on the top of the bed. Goes left to right just behind the cab. His tono allowed him to still get to the stack holes. It cost him I think in the ~ $100 or less range for the pressure treated 2 x 4’s and hardware. I would of went that route as well but my tono tilts and has no exposed stake holes..

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

mbutts

Farmington MI, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/09 12:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your budget doesn't allow for the Dahon folding bikes (really nice bikes, BTW), you can get cheapies here for about $100:

RV Toy Outlet

Mike Butts
DW+DD+DS+Poodles
2017 Forest River Forester 3011DS (first MH!)
Previously 1999 Coleman Santa Fe pop-up, 2007 Kodiak 23SS hybrid, 2013 Sunset Trail 29SS travel trailer

RVbikers

Red Hill, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/09 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jbarca, tell us about those downspouts.

Keep true to the vision living in your head.
Jim & Evelyn
2015 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7L
2016 Prime Time Spartan 1242X
2012 Street Glide (his)
2004 Fatboy (hers)

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/09 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVbikers wrote:

Jbarca, tell us about those downspouts.

Ah you picked up on them. [emoticon] Follow these 3 links. A little off topic in this bike rack post

T2499 Gutter Down Spouts - One Approach

T310SR Gutter Down Spouts

Black Streaks

daleybread

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/09 10:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think I'd ever buy a Top Pop rack... I've written their customer service several times and have never received a response. If they don't respond to a sales inquiry, how do you think they'd respond to an email after the sale?

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/09 06:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daleybread wrote:

I don't think I'd ever buy a Top Pop rack... I've written their customer service several times and have never received a response. If they don't respond to a sales inquiry, how do you think they'd respond to an email after the sale?

While I agree they are a seemingly a one man show. I received 2 E-mails today. One from the forum notifying me of a new post to this thread and one from Toppoprails responding to my inquiry for a 3 to 4 bike extension. I purchased my rack 3 years ago!

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

daleybread

Orange County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/09 08:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to hear I might have been the only one. That is what is so good about these forums, they can change your mind about things for the better or worse. Looks like a great product. And I'd be glad to buy from a one man show.

LAdams

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/09 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another fine article John [emoticon] ... John is a personal friend of mine and I consider him to be the "mechanic's mechanic"... We usually get together at least once a year and he always has a few surprises to show us [emoticon]

I've seen his bike rack previously and it's typical "Barca" [emoticon] ... Keep up the great work John... Can you give me a hint as to what the "surprise" will be for next year [emoticon]

Les

2000 Ford F-250SD, XLT, 4X4 Off Road, SuperCab
w/ 6.8L (415 C.I.) V-10/3:73LS/4R100
Banks Power Pack w/Trans Command & OttoMind
Sold Trailer - not RV'ing at this point in time

HUNTER THERMOSTAT INSTALL

HOME MADE WHEEL CHOCKS

JBarca

Radnor, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/09 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LAdams wrote:

Another fine article John [emoticon] ... John is a personal friend of mine and I consider him to be the "mechanic's mechanic"... We usually get together at least once a year and he always has a few surprises to show us [emoticon]

I've seen his bike rack previously and it's typical "Barca" [emoticon] ... Keep up the great work John... Can you give me a hint as to what the "surprise" will be for next year [emoticon]

Les

Gee Les, Thanks[emoticon]

Now what we might have or figured out to be installed for the next time we meet. H'mm here are 3 big ones in the works. A lot of little ones too.

A. An overhaul on the kitchen cabinets and entertainment center to offer more counter top space and how to deal with the new digi TV.

B. My Monroe shocks finally mounted dealing with the enclosed tanks compartment.

C. Maybe the rest of the story on where the 10% min. tongue weight rule came from.... [emoticon]

lc-12

MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/09 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have the TopPop Rail and it is worth every penny! And I have had excellent service from the company. Yes, they are in Canada, and yes, it is sometimes hard to get in touch with them, but the product is worth these minor hassles!!!
No more wear and tear with the bikes bouncing around, and they are always visible.
Take it from one that has lost both bikes and rack (from a well known rack company!). Buy the best you can afford and "never look back"!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Bike rack for front of TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.