|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> New beds in the "B"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobwalter

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/09 04:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently purchased a 1997 Coach House with the electric couch/bed in the back. The couch was very comfortable for sitting. Shortly after getting it we went on an overnight shakedown. Everything worked well and we think we will love traveling in it. All was good until it was time for bed. We extended the couch and made the bed. We wnt to bed and all was good until the first trip to the bathroom. I was in the back and had to crawl over my DW. As many of you have probably found out, the older you get the more night time trips are needed. We discovered that the sleeping arrangements weren't going to work. I just am not good at climbing over.

I decided to remove the electric couch (which I now need to sell) and install two beds on each side in it's place. I removed all the wheel well covering, and the water heater covering. I lost two drawers on each side but was able to install one on each side under the beds. The net loss was one drawer on each side but I have a plan to gain four more drawers in another location. (I will document when I do that project.)

I framed out the rear with 1X3 lumber and I was able to use some of the removed material to keep the wood color the same as the rest of the coach. I have as much under bed storage with the new configuration as I did with the couch.

I ordered foam from the internet and made matresses/cushions. I tried my hand at upholstering (first time ever) (I learned to sew) and I think they came out well. I, as well as my DW are very satisfied with the outcome.

[image]
I started with a standard electric couch/bed.

[image]
Framed out beds.

[image]
You can see the drawers under the beds.

[image]
Upholstery completed. Project complete. Now we can sleep. Also comfortable seating.

[image]
Still a lot of storage underneath and accessible from the back door.

I am happy with the results and it looks factory made. It will make our "B" much more comfortable for the two of us.

Lynda & Bob ..N8DUV
2000 Safari Trek
sunny Sebastian, Florida

NW22

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/09 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice job.

radio man 7.262

terre haute in u.s.a.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/09 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks very,very good. Bob [emoticon]

Bob and Jane
2006 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser Sprinter
(name of sprinter "OMEGA", means the last one )

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/09 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent. I like the idea of twin beds as well.

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/09 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice job! I am in the process of doing a similar thing to our 07 Roadtrek 190P. Our power couch made a "C" shaped bed, and wasn't all that uncomfortable, but it ate up way too much of the storage area. I am shooting for a totally clear area from the rear doors to the bolster cabinets (where the center of the bed will end). The bolster covers will hinge up, like the stock setup, and the front 1/2 of the bed will do the same, for access to the storage area under the bed.

It looks like your van is pretty straight across the back, by the doors, while our Chevy is quite curved. We want to use the doors for the backrest (looks like you did too), so it appears the back of the bed will also need to curve. Makes the reinforcing needed to go without a center leg a bit tougher. It looks like you used an angle iron and trim board? We have a pretty low clearance in that area, so I am going to try to move the support structure to above the platform, if possible. How much height do you have under the trim board in the rear?

I hope ours turns out as nice as yours did!

juliev

SE Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/09 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did a great job!

Julie

bobwalter

Treasure Coast of Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/09 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Booster,
Mine is pretty straight across the back. Be careful of the headroom while sitting against the back doors. Mine curves in towards the front. I used 1X3 for all the framing except across the back. There I used a 2X4 on edge and added a 1 1/4 aluminum angle. I don't think the angle was necessary, but I had it. I haven't measured it but I have somewhere around 18" under the back. I can measure if you need it. My bed platforms do not hinge. They are fastened down with just a couple of screws for service access. (Water heater, water pump, etc) I can access (from the back)approx. 5 feet on both sides and 27" in the center. Room for folding chairs, chaise lounge, jack, tools, screen room, and more. If you need other pictures or measurements, let me know.

gmctoyman

Lake Livingston, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/09 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice work ! The power sofa in my LTV has crapped out again, as soon as I get time it's coming OUT !

Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/09 06:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 18", you are a bunch higher, and lots more space, than we have. Wish we had that much height. We were at about 12" with the power couch, and will get to about 14 1/4 with the platform. Headroom isn't much of an issue for us, as it is pretty flat in the ceiling above the seating area. We will have about 4' wide by just under 5' of clear area underneath.

Coalminer UG

Nakusp BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/09 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice Job.

Ches

Served In Canadian Army 1PPCLI

Retired Underground Coal Miner (Gen Foreman)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> New beds in the "B"
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.