RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: What is "RGV" and where is "the Valley"?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> What is "RGV" and where is "the Valley"?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a real question for me, I was born and raised there. But it seems some may not know the terminology. Therefore, here is tutorial on RGV and the Valley.

The "Valley" is a region in the farthest south "tip" of Texas, the Rio Grande Valley, sometimes called the Lower Rio Grande Valley or the Magic Valley. It is a Simi-Tropical area of citrus trees, vegetable & sugar cane fields, bird watching areas and RV Parks. And poinsettias, papayas, palm trees and bougainbilleas grow in yards.

The Lower Valley, Harlingen/Brownsville area is actually a Delta with South Padre Island keeping it from being washed away. Port Isabel and South Padre Island. and Point Isabel Lighthouse

Laguna Atascosa Nat'l Wildlife Refuge out from Rio Hondo. Refuge. The last time we were there on a Spring Break, we got to see a couple of alligators as well as birds. "Alligator Pond: Alligator watching has become very popular at the refuge. During wet years they seem to inhabit every pond. Alligator Pond, .25 miles south of Osprey Overlook, usually has a gator or two. Alligators can also sometimes be seen on the resaca on Lakeside Drive. Alligators can be dangerous; stay on the road and do not feed or disturb them. Keep a close eye on small children and pets."

Up the Valley by McAllen there is another REFUGE. I have always wanted to see it but have not. 'The Lower Rio Grande Valley National Wildlife Refuge is headquartered at the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center. It is located 7 miles south of Alamo, Texas, on FM 907 and 1/4 mile east on U.S. Highway 281.' I believe one will find it less humid in that part of the Valley as well than closer to the Gulf.

RGV Map

Where but down in this part of Texas could you see a Chachalaca in the USofA? Or parrots and many other birds.

More Texas Info

The lower Rio Grande Valley is a four-county area that forms the southernmost tip of Texas and includes Cameron, Hidaldo, Starr and Willacy Counties. These counties occupy almost 4,300 square miles and include the rapidly growing metropolitan areas of Rio Grande City, McAllen, Harlingen and Brownsville. Traditionally rich in agriculture, the Valley produces over forty crops, including aloe vera, citrus fruits, onions, sugarcane, cucumbers, sorghum, cotton and many others. Located along the United States-Mexico border, the region represents a distinct blend of Hispanic, Mexican, and Anglo-American cultures

The Valley is home to just over one million people; nearly 90 percent of the population is Hispanic. Farmworkers who migrate for agricultural work are a significant proportion of the region's seasonal flux as many residents spend the summer months in northern states, Mexico or other areas. In fact, the Valley is the permanent home of one of the largest concentrations of farmworkers in the United States; roughly one third of the Valley population depends on employment in agriculture. Other mobile residents include recent immigrants or United States residents who return to Mexico or other countries regularly. A smaller portion of the population includes "Winter Texans," or retirees from northern states who call Texas home during the winter months. In spite of these seasonal changes, a majority of the population lives in the Valley throughout the year.

That is pretty much what "the Valley" means to many people and most if not all Texans as well as Winter Texans or Snowbirds who winter in Texas. IMHO. What does it mean to y'all?

* This post was last edited 02/20/10 08:16pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

ginabas

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/09 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

That is pretty much what "the Valley" means to many people and most if not all Texans as well as Winter Texans or Snowbirds who winter in Texas. IMHO. What does it mean to y'all?

Crappy Weather...[emoticon] Sorry, couldn't resist...

marvmarcy

Polson, MT, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the great information. I had wondered what the draw was for snowbirds. If we get tired of Key West, we may try the RGV.

Marv

2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX450/1650, super 10sp w/GearMaster
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLRK (20K GVWR, tandem duals)
Piaggio MP3 400 scooter
RVing since 1979 - Fulltime since 2000 (mostly CO, MT, NC & Key West)
Retired USAF

Gemstone

Boydton, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"What does it mean to y'all?"....Mosquitos

'06 Elite Suites TK3, '95 KW T-600, '08 Softail Classic , '06 Softail Deuce

pawatt

Brainerd MN / Palmview TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the really good info.

McIrish

WC IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/09 03:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post..... thanks!

2008 Silverado Z71 crew cab
2009 Sunset Creek 267RL
Equal-i-zer
Champion

LarrynBarb

NE Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I for one appreciated the more indepth information.

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

05 Fleetwood Discovery, 39J
07 Ford Explorer, Sport Trac, 4 x 4
Blue Ox baseplate, Ready Brute Towbar w/built
in supplemental surge brake system
FMCA, Good Sam's, Golden Age Passport

Served Proudly US Army 1959 - 2006

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/09 04:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've wondered what the draw was and you've explained it very well. Thanks.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/09 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gemstone wrote:

"What does it mean to y'all?"....Mosquitos

Gemstone, When growing up down in the Valley, we didn't have much of a problem from mosquitos. Why you might ask? We lived out in the country on a farm and with all the crop "dusting" air craft and farm sprayers working to keep insects in check, a by product was to keep mosquitos in check. After moving to NM, my mom had some friends move onto the farm and park a mobile home. They had friends flying the crop dusters and if they had a little spray left over, they would fly over mom's place and spray it.

[emoticon] I know, how safe was all this. Not sure of what kind of poisons they may or may not be using down there. I feel lucky I was able to leave as early as I did. I am sure they are NOT using the powerful stuff they were back then.

Not sure of what kind of mosquito problem they might have, but Dallas isn't a very mosquito free area I am thinking. [emoticon]

The only time on South Padre I remember having a mosquito problem was when I took my wife to campout on the beach (Califonia girl). No tent, just cots on the sand. During the night the wind stopped blowing, never seen that at the beach. Mosquitos came out like crazy. We had to jump into my '65 Mustang and sleep in it, until the wind started blowing again. But that was 40 years ago.

* This post was edited 12/17/09 10:50am by DesertHawk *

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/09 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks I was wondering what it meant. if its warmer than northeast ohio, I[emoticon] like it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> What is "RGV" and where is "the Valley"?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.