|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ctpres

Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two questions for planning next trip. No kids and no time restrictions
1. Best time of year going east to west and
2. Must see's along the way

A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

geraldlanc

georgetown, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed Tombstone, AZ and the Chiricahua National Monument.
Gerald

mmccwill

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in Gilbert (Phoenix area)Az. & March or April are the best months for I10 travel -- I40 would be another thing -- Much higher elevation, so more likely cold weather -- There are many things on I10 that we natives take for granted, so I will leave that ans. to someone else -- Bill Willard

Rocky2

Ventura, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/09 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Starting at the Texas border, I would stop in Las Cruces, NM and venture out to Fort Selden. General Arthur MacArthur commanded while his son Douglas grew up. The fort has a fine little museum.

Next, in Deming, NM there is Rock Hound State Park for anyone who like digging in the dirt. There is an Escapee Park in town.

Near Wilcox, Arizona there is Chiricahua National Monument with really interesting rock formations and good birding. Sandhill cranes are nearby if you are there at the right time of year. Also in the area is Cochise's Strong Hold.

I would spend a fair amount of time in the Tucson area. Old Tucson, Desert Sonora Museum (really a zoo), Tombstone, Saguaro National Park, Madera Canyon near Green Valley for birding. Just too much to mention.

NevadaJim

Minden Nevada U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/09 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like that trip in mid. to late September to the end of October. That time of year it is still short weather but not in the 100's. Things to see not already mentioned starting in San Antonio,River Walk,missions,Alamo just to name a few. Fredericksburg nice German town and Nimitz Museum,in the same area LBJ Ranch,Lady Bird,s wild flower park. Just off I-10 Caverns of Sonora,historic Fort Stockton,Balmorhea springs,Fort Davis,McDonald observatory,New Mexico Las Cruces old town La Mesilla,Lordsburg Shakespeare Ghost Town Arizona Kartchner Caves in Benson and at least a week around Tucson. Places we have stayed this route Texas Alamo Fiesta in Boerne for San Antonio,Fredericksburg RV Park,Junction KOA, the old KOA Fort Stockton-no longer a KOA-Van Horn KOA,New Mexico Las Cruces Hacienda Lordsburg KOA,Butterfield Benson,Voyager Tucson. Have fun

JimandJerry@charter.net

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/09 10:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

March, April, May and June would be nice months for cool weather, mainly sunny. However, at times after the Pacific Fronts began to roll through, it can be a little to very windy and at time dusty. Advise to keep an eye on the weather maps and NM Road Conditions, be able to hole up if one is going to blow through the area you are in or going to be in the next day or so. To see the sights along the west coast of California, it is better to get there before their schools are out in mid-June. But they can get some pretty cool temps in June at times. Years always vary of course.

Not sure if you are wanting Texas sites, but here goes:
Texas Hill Country

TX, NM, AZ Attractions, etc.

Perhaps a nice side trip off I-10 would be good. White Sands National Monument & Carsbad Caverns ** Cloudcroft & Ruidoso Areas Plus much of NM
Possible Side Trips off I-10

Here are some RV Parks in Las Cruces about an hour east from Deming.

Hacienda RV Resort and Siesta RV Park easiest to get to, just of I-10 exit 140.

Las Cruces KOA and Sunny Acres RV Park off I-10 exit 135. KOA on the mesa over looking the Mesilla Valley, Sunny Acres in the Valley.

Los Angeles Area

San Diego Beach Camping

Los Angeles to San Francisco

Of Course, Sept, Oct and Nov would be nice as well. July and August would be a little warm at times, but can be nice as well. As you get into West Texas into New Mexico the nights cool off very nice due to higher elevations.

*** Yuma to Tucson to Wilcox/Bisbee ***

* This post was last edited 03/15/10 07:04pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have no 'visit this' comments, but be aware on I-10 in Texas and Az, sometimes a pretty good distance between fuel stations. And when you approach a cross-over that you think has gas, a lot of them don't -- So keep one eye on the gage and if you think you "might have enough", fill-up anyway.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Musicman

Wenatchee, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/09 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Kartchner Caverns near Benson, AZ are well worth a stop. The park has a campground also. LOOK HERE

Musicman
FMCA #F333309
'97 Winnebago Vectra
'01 Blazer LT

Barbielab

Texas and California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/09 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not do this trip in June - August unless you are ok with really hot weather. April and May would be nice unless you are planning on spending time at the end on the California coast in which case late May, June and often into July it can be foggy and cool along the coast. Mid September through mid November might be your best bet as it cools off in the deserts and is beautiful and clear along the coast.

You have some great suggestions on stops to which I would add a couple days in the Houston area to see NASA and whichever museums interest you as there are many outstanding ones. One other site, check out forbidden-gardens.com, if you are in Houston Friday - Sunday is a little advertised, very interesting stop if you have any interst in Chineese history ,in particular the tera cotta soldiers. Enjoy!

Barb

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/09 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't seen anyone recommend going Nov-Feb. Is there a reason? They don't have snow that far south, do they?[emoticon]

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.