RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Minimum air compressor size for winterizing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Minimum air compressor size for winterizing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
pbohart

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/09 08:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am hoping to find a DC air compressor big enough to blow all the air out of my lines in winter. I have a huge (75G?) air compressor at home - but it is enormous, the trailer is at a lot, and I want to see if I can engineer this process on-site.

There are several DC pumps out there that claim 100 PSI.....but they are small and appear designed for inflating car tires and water toys.

Anyone able to winterize with an air compressor that runs off DC power?

Thanks!!

2010 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel
2012 Jayco Eagle Super-Light 314BDS

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need anywhere near 100 psi to blow out the water lines. Don't set it higher than about 30psi until you know you have at least one tap open.

btd35

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 09:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't need pressure, you need volume. A car tire compressor with tank isn't nearly enough. I have a 20 gallon on wheels that I use. It works perfect. I would just tow it home, winterize, and tow it back. You'll be ahead in the long run. If you know you're not going to used it again when you come back from a trip, winterize it at home when you unload it, then take it back to the storage lot.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a car tire inflater will work. You really don't need much air volume.

I started with removing the water heater drain, then put it back, turn on the compressor, and open the cold water and hot water lines, let out the air. The water heater will get another gallon or so of water back into the tank. remember the outside shower if you have one.

If you don't want to put the water into the gray tank, then put it in a dishpan.

Fred.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/20/09 09:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A larger air flow rate is more important than a high pressure when blowing out the lines. A large air flow will entrain water that would otherwise remain and carry it along to the faucet or other drain point.

IMO blowing the water out of the lines does not completely avoid the risk of freezing, as some water may remain and migrate to a low point. The pink antifreeze is the best method.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450">

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/09 11:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

High pressure isn't what you need you need high VOLUME. Using 100 lb. pressure that puts out a couple of cubic feet a minute is worthless for the purpose.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Keith99RS

Suffield, CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto the above. You need something that will put out 30-40 psi for a long duration. Like wen you need to use a compressor to blow off dust. How much dust would you blow with a DC tire inflator? All you'd be able to do is pressurize the plumbing, not push anything out.

Smoke 05 Titan SE CC 4X4
K&N panel filter
PRG 2.5" Leveling kit
Bilstein front,Icon rear shocks
Powerstop slotted rotors
18" Wrangler AT/S LT's

2009 Fleetwood Prowler 2702BS
Primus Brake Controller
Reese DC w/ 1,000lb/10,000lb WD

Mikesr

Lebanon Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/21/09 04:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This size has served me well for a few years now. It even can inflate my TV tires.
[image]

Mike and Donna
2016 Chevy 2500HD
2017 Keystone Outback 325BH

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 04:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pbohart wrote:

I am hoping to find a DC air compressor big enough to blow all the air out of my lines in winter. I have a huge (75G?) air compressor at home - but it is enormous, the trailer is at a lot, and I want to see if I can engineer this process on-site.

There are several DC pumps out there that claim 100 PSI.....but they are small and appear designed for inflating car tires and water toys.

Anyone able to winterize with an air compressor that runs off DC power?

Thanks!!

IMHO the best thing is to forget the blowing out the lines and just use the RV antifreeze pumped thru the lines. Blowing the lines out will not get rid of the water in the pump or it's line that meets the main cold water line so that critical part of your water system needs to be protected and only by pumping antifreeze thru the pump will accomplish thatl You can address the city water inlet by manually opening the stop valve with the system open and unpressurized which is the one area that blowing out you lines does help in winterizing.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 12/21/09 04:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blow the lines with whatever you have then fill with pink. Guarantee that will work absolutely perfect.

BTW I've used everthing from a 12VDC car compressor to a small 1gallon oiless to my 20g twin cylinder to blow out the lines and it really doesn't matter. With the smaller units I just wait till it builds a little pressure then open the tap to blow out the water/air. Not a big deal at all but I highly recommend pink after your done. I live in Canada so not using it is really is not an option.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Minimum air compressor size for winterizing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.