RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Generator Box?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generator Box?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cp100265

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/09 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went and purchused my Honda EUi2000 on everyones recomendations....so far I am very pleased ....as you all had said it runs everything but the A/C ON MY jAYFLIGHT 31bhs.....ok now that I hear it run under load it is VERY quiet...but not enough for my taste...I never want to take away from the experince of another...HAS anyone ever built a sound deading box for a generator...or have you ever seen one...I would like your help once again!!!!!

[emoticon]

janechucknicodemus

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/09 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen them home built, but you have to remember the ventilation and exhaust. It is not a hard thing to build I "well work in wood and metal" think.

If I were to make a cover ,,First do you set it on the ground? If so just make a box from 1/4-3/8 plywood with a handle 2" larger than the unit. That in it's self will take a lot of sound down.

If not make it 4" larger and glue in some fiber foam or solid insulation. The exhaust will be fun as you will have to fit the extension to the unit tightly I would point it down...fire danger?? Most likely...
Good luck in that one. When I run ours a 1000 I try to make it as far from others as possible. and during the day time we are usually out of sound line any way, and shut it off before happy hour [emoticon]
Cheers

windriderjr

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/09 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be very careful to make sure you are not voiding your warranty by putting your generator in a box. That said, I remember a thread about someone building a box for his generator about 3 years ago. It was not a cheap or simple project as you really need to have air moving through the box to cool the engine.

Your generator is plenty quiet. just use it only when it is allowed and you'll be fine.

DW and I in our Gulfstream Amerilite 21MB
Chevy Silverado 2500 HD - Duramax Diesel 6.6L - Allison Tranny

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area." - Major Mike Shearer - British Army - Basra, Iraq

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/09 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now this is a first.....out of all the post's and thread's there have been about Honda generators, I believe this is the first time Ive heard someone say ANYthing about its noise level under load. Lo and behold, Honda's do make some noise above a whisper.....Amasing![emoticon]

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Bonefish

Midland, TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/09 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Now this is a first.....out of all the post's and thread's there have been about Honda generators, I believe this is the first time Ive heard someone say ANYthing about its noise level under load. Lo and behold, Honda's do make some noise above a whisper.....Amasing![emoticon]

WHAT DID YOU SAY? I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'VE GOT THE GENERATOR GOING. [emoticon]

Parrothead Mike

SW Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/09 03:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I understand your concern about annoying other campers. I've occasionally had the same concerns, but I make it a point to never run my Honda at times anyone is trying to sleep. I only use my generator to charge my battery and occasionally to run my microwave. Thus, my gen usually runs in the morning (like mid-morning, not real early). The max time it runs on any given day is less than an hour, if that long.

Have you ever tried walking over to another campsite or out along the campground road and listened to how much "noise" you can really hear from your generator? You'd be surprised to find that it's not loud at all.

I've camped in the infield at Michigan Int'l Speedway and have had to listen to LOUD generators. A piece of cardboard or thin plywood can knock down the sound. I do keep a small piece of plywood (about 2'x3') in my camper and prop it up along side my generator to reduce the sound in around my campsite. I can certainly recognize the sound of real peace and quiet when I turn my "quiet" generator off though.

Don't get too carried away trying to build some sort of box for your Honda. It's really not necessary. But if you want to do something to quiet down the sound you can use some 1/4" plywood by taking a couple of pieces like I use (see above) and hinge them together so you can prop them around the generator, depending on which direction you are trying to quiet the noise. Also, by using hinges you can fold up the light weight plywood for easy storage.

2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/09 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I do. I start my generator and then walk until I can't hear it. If I reach the next campsite and can still hear it, I try to move the generator to another spot.

I'm afraid a box would block too much air and cause premature failure.

Most of the noise comes from the exhaust so you can try running a Z shaped bent tube from the generator exhaust pipe to a piece of conduit and channel the sound away from your camp.

As others have said, I've have never had a complaint about the noise from a Honda 2000. As long as you use it during acceptable generator hours the campers near you should be ok with it. Ask your neighbors if they mind, if they do then ask if there are times when they will be away so you can run it. Who knows maybe they've been afraid to run theirs.

They aren't loud, I run two in parallel and haven't had a complaint even at full load.

On the other hand, my Old 6500 watt Honda would cause the next door campers to head into their rigs.

cp100265

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/09 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

as far as being quiet this generator is really low noise even under ful load it is NOT silent!.....I hate the thought of annoying the quiet..(the real reason I went camping in the first place) and yes I know get a tent...those days are long gone..US Army made sure of that...LOL..I am going to try the hinge idea...if not work my way up...want to try "boondocking" but have to find a mid point for my wife...and little ones...again RV NET thank you...amazing the differant views on things...

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/09 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dealer told me even running it in the garden shed was not recommended by Honda.

bill h

hassayampa valley

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/09 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Search for posts by jauguston on this. He built a really good box for a little Honda.

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Generator Box?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.