|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Christmas Camping in Florence Oregon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/10 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice trip report. I haven't been to either of those CGs and they looked great. Will have to try them the next time I get all the way ut West! Looks like a nice way to spend Christmas to me [emoticon]

jefff929

Pacific wonderland, wet side

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/10 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet!!

Our favorite time to camp is Winter, the crowds are killer [emoticon]

2001 Dodge 2500 QC, Diesel, Auto, 4x4 Shortbox, Stull running boards, 26.5' Sundance 5er

My Baby

Another NWBomber

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 01:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frugal Bungler wrote:

Wow...Nice business trip. I am hoping to get to the Oregon Coast this summer. I have never been. Trying to decide where to stay Florence, Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook. Only have a few days, I am an Elk and there are many other SP choices. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kelly

On this trip, I liked Waxmyrtle FS CG the best as it has trails and isn't too far from the beach. You can drive down the road a ways to the end and be right at the beach.
Honeyman SP is a nice CG but I haven't found much to do there. It's mostly an ATV launch pad. I like places where I can go hiking and have sights of interest.
Carl Washburn SP is North of Florence. We liked that because it is close to Haceta Head Lighthouse and Sealion Caves. It's good for a day of hiking the beach and great for pictures.
Nehalem Bay SP has the scenic overlook but it is a huge park with a lot of activity. It's easy to get to the beach but not a favorite place to stay.
Most of the CG's along the coast are generally nice and if you aren't satisfied with one, the next one should be within an hours drive.
A favorite is Fort Stevens SP at the mouth of the Columbia River. Lots of hiking, a military museum, the wreck of the Peter Iredale on the beach, and the town of Astoria to explore.
This isn't in Trip Reports but it covers the North half of Oregon.
Somewhere in the trip report system, I posted an earlier trip of Haceta Head, Carl Washburn SP and other places, but I can't find it.
There are several posts by others you can review in trip reports.
Generally, we were always able to find a camp spot at the CG's we went to but during the height of summer, you may want to plan ahead and make reservations.
You will have a great time wherever you stay.

* This post was last edited 01/02/10 01:56pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Frugal Bungler

San Joaquin Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I am really looking forward to this trip. I am pulling a smaller TT and can enjoy some of the older FS and SP's. Are there any somewhat dangerous stretches of highway to avoid along the OR/WA cosat?

Thanks, appreciate your photos and help.
Kelly

BrandonR

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 10:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you go to the Oregon coast in the winter you should either check ahead or be flexible, there's quite a few campgrounds that have seasonal closures due to the lack of customers in the winter.

Brandon Reed
Albany, OR

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/10 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice report...but next time get some pics of the boats! HNY! THX Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

fuelhauler

Southern Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good friends of ours got married on the stern wheeeler boat at Florence. It was a small wedding with just 5 of us couples crusing up the Siuslaw river. Afterwards we all rode our Harley's up to Yachats to the Adobe resort for food drink & acomidations. We have been to the Rhodedendron festival in Florence several times when the town is alive with bikers,car clubs, tourists & great parade on Sunday. Next time your down Jeff try the campgrond at Siltcoos lake a mile south of town. Camping right on the lake at Darlings Marina with elect. water, & cable & a bar across the street where you check in that makes great burgers.

2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

lanerd

Home in Ridgecrest CA for the winter.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/10 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frugal Bungler wrote:

Wow...Nice business trip. I am hoping to get to the Oregon Coast this summer. I have never been. Trying to decide where to stay Florence, Newport, Lincoln City, Tillamook. Only have a few days, I am an Elk and there are many other SP choices. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Kelly

Hi Kelly... Florence has two Elk rv parks, one in town and is pretty much basic stuff..nothing special except the Lodge is right there. They also have a very nice park just north of town that is off the highway and has full hookups including 50 amps. $15/night, if I remember correctly.

Newport has an extremely nice Lodge that looks out over the harbor and the bridge. They have rv spots, but not many and are basically part of the parking lot.

Up and down the Oregon coast, you'll find every kind of campground imaginable, from high end motor home only resorts to very basic campgrounds and everything inbetween.

Oregon has very nice state campgrounds from Ft. Stevens to Harris Beach. Almost all have at least power (30amps) and water...some even have dumps. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Unfortunately, with only a few days, your best bet would be to pick an area and spend your whole time there and save the others for another time.

Hope this helps

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Ya Camper Jeff,

Bout time we see another trip from you two. Nice to see uncrowded coastal campgrounds and someone with the moxie to use them, at Christmas no less. So you had to beat up the ol rib eye some huh. Was that your impersonation of Rocky Balboa? Thanks for tripping the coast fantastic there Jeff.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frugal Bungler wrote:

Hey thanks for the suggestions, I am really looking forward to this trip. I am pulling a smaller TT and can enjoy some of the older FS and SP's. Are there any somewhat dangerous stretches of highway to avoid along the OR/WA cosat?

Thanks, appreciate your photos and help.
Kelly

There are a few places to be careful and watch your speed. I find that if the sign says 30 or 40 mph, do it. They aren't kidding when they post a speed limit. There are some winding sections of road. Try to drive the three capes loop out of Tillamook. There is a nice CG out that way at the south end of the loop. Pay attention to no turn around signs for your TT if off the main road.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Christmas Camping in Florence Oregon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.