RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Flush Mount Electric Heater for Campers?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Flush Mount Electric Heater for Campers?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
fishfinder

Colorado, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just returned from an ice fishing & camping trip in Central CO. This time, I brought a portable electric heater and got a site with 110V. The electric heater held the camper at 55 degrees overnight on the 1000W setting, even though the outide temp was 11 degrees. We slept great because we never had to listen to the noisy propane heater cycle.

So, I'm now wondering, can I buy a flush mount electric heater to install so I can get the portable heater out of the limited floor space?

BTW, I've done a lot of insulating on this camper which has helped significanly. Also, I always keep one roof vent partially open at night.

fishfinder, Colorado
'08 Chevy K1500 Ext.Cab 5.3L/3.73
'03 Phoenix Pop-Up Truck Camper
'98 Four Winns 18' Fish & Ski Boat

Hook

Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dayton and Broan are a couple brand names off the top of my head, I sure there are more. When flush mounting on the wall they need several inches of space behind the wall. A source for them is Graingers, there are several of them located thru out Colorado.

I myself use a Wave 3, but it is not quite flush mounted.

Hook

Chevy 2500 4x4 CC D-Max/Allison
Summerwind 806
Winnebago 2014 30T
"Kik-n-but" 23' modified Atec, twin Yamaha 60's,
Hewes 20' Kenai River Special 50hp Yamaha,
Polaris RZR
27' Bayweld Offshore Boat, 300 HP,the "Bernie C"

Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/02/10 09:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed one similar to this one

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/02/10 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott beat me to it, but I was going to suggest a Cadet 1500W in-wall heater, but they're a tad harder to find than they used to be. Home Depot only carries the 1000 Watt/120 volt units nowadays.

Cadet Com-Pak CC151TW Wall Mount Fan Heater

Here's Netboy's electric heat project:
Adding Built-in Electric Heat

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/10 12:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spott wrote:

I installed one similar to this one

I looked at the picture of this heater, and it might be possible to mount this on something like the bathroom door, or a cabinet door. Then run the wiring inside to the channle that leads to the circuit breaker box, or a receptacle.

You might also be able to find a flush mount "Kickspace" heater, designed to go under a kitchen cabinet. They are recesed into the kickspace under the cabinet, and are only 4" tall. Some have 500 - 750 and 1,000 watt settings.

While that will not heat your camper enough in 11F weather, along with the portable one, you will be toastey warm. I don't know if they have an automatic thermostat though. You can buy a line voltage thermostat, rated at 120/240 volts for about $40, it fits into a single gang handybox.

I always have 3 heaters with me, so I can turn on the heat as required in different sections of the RV. With two heaters, and a 30 amp service, you would have been toasty warm. I can not sleep below about 60F.

Good Luck,

Fred.

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/10 12:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Perfectoe by Cadet is the one I installed and it is one of the best mods I've done. I installed it on the stair riser going up to the bath/bedroom. I wired in a dedicated circuit for it, so no worries and it runs all night long. We start the furnace to warm the cold trailer up, then turn it off and the Perfectoe maintains the temperature. I will tell you though that ice houses are insulated better than 99.9% of RVs!!

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/10 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are these units more durable than the portable heaters? I've found after 3 or 4 years of use the portables don't seem to get as hot or the fan gets very noisy. I'd hate to put in a built-in and it fail a few years later [emoticon]

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Zig

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/10 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have one,... but I like the flatness of one like this. Eco-heater 602 High-Efficiency Electric Panel Whole-Room Heater

Better to Zig then Zag!
Go To "MY PICTURES"
My other Pictures and add a Comment!

fishfinder

Colorado, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/10 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All,
Thanks for the great suggestions and links.

It looks like the Broan model #170 (1000W) is my favorite. The dimension are just right for available space that I have, and it has the thermostat built-in.

medic76

Washington, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/10 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a Broan 1500 watt model. Have used it in about a dozen ambulances over the years. The 1500 watt model is same physical size as 1000 watt, I think. The 1500 is actually 2--750 watt heat strips. I installed a switch and have 750 or 1500 whichever I want.
Also the portable heaters do get weak on output after a year or so but these don't.
Get the mounting kit as it controls the amount of cold air getting to the thermostat from the back.
Wayne

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Flush Mount Electric Heater for Campers?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS