|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Last Chance Get Away of 2009, part4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/10 02:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chance Get away of 2009

Our original plan was to visit Yosmite National Park and explore the surrounding area, but due to the spreading fire we change our plans at the time. After much discussion and some Internet searching it was decided to go a couple of areas that we hadn’t ever been to and re-visit a couple of national parks we’ve been to before.

Grand Canyon North Rim
Part4
Day Two

September 29, 2009

Late last night local wildlife came around to bid us welcome with their sweet song of howls and yapping about the moon and forest, I laid there listening for awhile to their natural musical tune and as quickly as they came, they where gone. The morning brought a glorious blue filled sky with a briskly wind playing among the trees, what a great way to start today.
[image]
Video Blusterous Morning
Julie made a lite breakfast along with some of her black brew just made things better. Time to head back to the North Rim, aspens trees stood at attention at the edge of the road as we passed by them.
[image]
Video Corridor of Colours
Traveling back to the lodge area we decide to walk along the rim trail heading to Bright Angel Point. An easy walking path that has shown a lot of use.
[image]
[image]
Stopping our forward journey for a photo of us on the trail with a fantastic backdrop. The walkway out to Bright Angel Pt. was fairly busy this morning with a number of people shuffling out to the viewing area to gaze upon nature wonder.
[image]
[image]
Continuing on our trail walk took us around and back under the Lodge in search of a 600-year-old juniper, which we didn’t find. More people were gathering at the viewpoint that we were at yesterday, as we moved along the trail I was able to get a good photo our spot.
[image]
[image]
From here we walked backed to our TC and had our photo taken in front of the park sign.
[image]
We had planned on going out to the Cape Royal area and see Angel’s Window. The road out there gets on the narrow side as a fact there is a bind spot mirror on a 180-degree curve going up.
[image]
The wind had kicked up a lot, almost lost my hat on the Cape Royal trail. There’s a lot of information signage along this easy walking trail with descriptive detail of the local vegetation.
[image]
[image]
Before the trail splits we got a good look of Angel’s Window with people walking over it and the Colorado River could be seen below.
[image]
[image]
Which way to go, it’s all good seeing out here.
[image]
[image]
It was getting very blustery out here and time was burning so off to the Cape Royal side to what nature has to show us.
[image]
[image]
The sun was racing for the horizon, so that’s our clue to head back to Kaibab Forest. Along the way the deer were coming out for their evening diner of meadow grass.
[image]
The sun was making a fast retreat as clouds overhead were chasing after it leaving us a beautiful sunset.
[image]
For tomorrow we will dump our tanks back at the N. Rim campground and head for ???

Working on part5

* This post was edited 01/18/10 02:51am by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, C2, for the continued huge effort!

Into TR it will go...

Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos. Thanks for posting and reminding us of what an incredible place the Grand Canyon is.

Joe

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

Nemo667

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for writing about your trip Alex. [emoticon]

2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 08:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you see the strange squirrils when you were dumping your tanks at the north rim?

When we were there on opening day 2009 only about 1/4 of the campground had occupants late in the day... and a sign that said FULL!

We headed back to where we'd stayed in the woods the night before at Jacobs Lake.

There is absolutely no excuse for people to miss the boondocking experience when near the North Rim.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/10 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sleepy wrote:

Did you see the strange squirrels when you were dumping your tanks at the north rim?
Sleepy

We did see some Kaibab squirrels running around,Julie got a good photo of one of them, Squirrel under glass.

[image]

dpgerson

Pacifica, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice pictures. That ANgel's window is really something. I briefly considered heading up there on my current trip, but 8 degrees was a little too chilly.

By the way, I can't seem to get to your TC magazine account of the Amboy Crater. Something about not having the right security. Any suggestions?

2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/10 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dpgerson wrote:

Very nice pictures. That ANgel's window is really something. I briefly considered heading up there on my current trip, but 8 degrees was a little too chilly.

By the way, I can't seem to get to your TC magazine account of the Amboy Crater. Something about not having the right security. Any suggestions?

The Lodge area of the N.Rim closes down about Oct. 15, but the Kaibab Forest is always open, depending on snow fall. As far as the link to TC Magazine from my website, I don't know what has happen and have sent a e-mail to Gorgon of TC Magazine looking for a answer. We were on our way to the Grand Canyon Cavers in AZ, photos are posted in my Travelingman2 site

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/10 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really enjoyed your photos. You guys always look like you're having a good time!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

travelinglane

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/10 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great photos! Thanks for posting. Enjoy your trip.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Last Chance Get Away of 2009, part4
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.