|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Best states for boondocking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/10 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aloha Utah wrote:

chuckster11 wrote:

75% of the land in Idaho is pubic land and most of those acres are scenic.

That pubic land is pretty fertile too. Gets hairy sometimes out there in the bush, though. [emoticon]

Yeah, you can doze a lot of sage brush out here if you want to but I try to keep it restricted to the gravel or the jeep trails--at least for the high desert. Actually, you have all those "Bull Canyon 8mi" signs around here and you really don't have to go "8mi" to get into some pleasant boondocking--might be a mile, or two miles, etc.

mtnman1989

Collettsville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/10 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never been to Idaho?
Are the roads steep like Colorado or pretty easy and RV friendly roads?
mtnman

chuckster11

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/10 01:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtnman1989 wrote:

Never been to Idaho?
Are the roads steep like Colorado or pretty easy and RV friendly roads?
mtnman

Hard to compare the two states--Colorado has a larger population, more paved roads, and more mountain ranges. In the areas I have been in both states, there are many more highways in Colorado with longer pulls--especially the interstates. Nothing in Idaho matches I-70 in Colorado--I-15 and I-84/86 really don't have high passes to traverse. I would say most paved roads in Idaho are suitable for RV's. This is not to say you won't get into some grades here, you will but nothing like Colorado where you go from drainage to drainage across the State.

Others, more experienced with Colorado highways, might disagree. One thing is certain, the roads are less crowded in Idaho and that makes it, to my mind, much more RV friendly.

monakayk

CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk wrote:

New Mexico and Arizona for sure, lots of BLM Land and Nat'l Forests. Some with neat campgrounds as well as dispearsed or boondocking areas.

Carson National Forest Northern New Mexico - Toas/Chama
Cibola National Forest Central NM - Scatter Around: Grants, Mountainair, Datal, Albu'que
Gila National Forest Southwest NM - Silver City
Kiowa National Grassland Northeast Corner of NM - Clayton
Lincoln National Forest Southeast NM - Cloudcroft, Ruidoso, Capitan/Lincoln and Carlsbad Areas
Rita Blanca National Grassland Texas
Santa Fe National Forest Northeast Santa Fe to Las Vegas

Abiquiu Lake -US Army Corps of Engineers campground, we have driven by but not stopped, they say it has excellent facilities surrounded by red sandstone cliffs and mesas of "O´Keefe Country." Campground
Area
Echo Amphitheater - Natural rock formation is nearby with a campground as well. Close to Ghost Ranch & the Ghost Ranch Piedra Lumbre Education and Visitor Center, located on U.S. Highway 84 just one mile north of the main Ghost Ranch entrance, has exhibits and a gift shop. A very nice museum in "O´Keefe Country." Ghost Ranch also has camping.

BLM campgrounds are often very nice as well.
Valley of Fires Recreation Area & BLM Campground is an excellent campground. Fires
rated

The Three Rivers Petroglyph Site & BLM Campground 3Rivers

Datil Well BLM Campground Well

Aguirre Spring BLM Campground -LasCruces

Kilbourne Hole Area *** Kilbourne *** BLM site info Caution: This Area is near the Mexican Border, may have illegals and drug runners around. Not ideal of overnighting.

There are many Nat'l Forests in NM and AZ such as The Lincoln National Forest - from personal experience, the camping around Cloudcroft is very good. We have mainly used the campgrounds or dispersed camping area by the Silver, Apache & Saddle Campgrounds on the Hwy going to Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation on NM 244. Sacramento Ranger District. Lincoln

Deerhead was being updated when we were there early this summer.

Bluff Springs & Rim Trail- This popular dispersed area has a small waterfall, with springs located 200 yards above. Access to T113 (Willie White) can be found here. There are some bike trails in the area as well & motorcycles ones as well. Other trails Rails to Trails and Camping and Ruidoso Trails and Trail listings

[emoticon] [emoticon]There are several areas listed in this POST some in the Lincoln Nat'l and some in the Gila Nat'l Forest, both with plenty of boondocking/despersed sites.

I have not been to Mescalero Sands. I can not find a link stating how far the drive is from the HWY.

Also a birding area in the spring. A video from Mescalero Sands - White Sands - El Paso Area Sandhills.

City of Rocks State Park is neat as well. City of Rocks

Ruidoso & Cloudcroft areas

Arizona

Tucson Mountain Park and Gilbert Ray Campground Camping and Catalina State Park sits at the base of the majestic Santa Catalina Mountains. StatePark

Snider Hill - Free Boondocking and Free Campsites

Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Chiricahua NPS but if rigs are too long for the Nat'l Mon Campground in the Coronado National Forest above it you can desperse camp for free.

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument by Ajo off of I-8 has camping but is out in the outback for sure. Never been there. OrganPipe Also in the area Why BLM Free Boondocking *** AZ BLM web page.

This might be a nice area, but I have never been there. Patagonia Lake State Park access is from State Route 82 between Patagonia and Nogales.

Ramsey Canyon Preserve is located within the Upper San Pedro River Basin in southeastern Arizona, but again this is one on my to do list. Camping & More Camping

List of other places in the area.

Such as Carr Canyon Road is 7 miles south of the Fry Blvd./Hwy 92 intersection on the east side of Sierra Vista; it is 2.3 miles from Hwy 92 to the Carr House, 8.5 miles to the campgrounds. Ordinary passenger cars can negotiate the upper stretches of Carr Canyon Road, but high clearance is helpful. Warning: Large RVs and vehicles pulling trailers may not be able to negotiate the tight curves on this narrow mountain road! However, the campgrounds and upper part of the road are usually closed in winter due to heavy snow and ice in the higher elevations.

There are many others, but this should let you see what is out this way.

GREAT info...thanks for taking the time to share it with us!

HAPPY CAMPING!!
Mona K

Our Ford Explorer & Jayco Jay-Feather Hybrid Travel Trailer and Camping Photos--CLICK HERE!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Best states for boondocking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.