RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Little Missouri National Grassland - Roosevelt National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Little Missouri National Grassland - Roosevelt National Park

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/10 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not know if I should post this here or under nation parks

I have a 33 foot travel trailer. I can dry camp with electricity about 10 days. Without electricity I am limited to about 5 days.

I think that Buffalo Gap Campground is the only campground with water.

I could not find any with electricity

I do not understand the difference in the two parks.

How or where do you suggest I spend a few days??

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/10 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are in the same area, much of T. Roosevelt could be surrounded by the Grasslands and the Grasslands seperates the two units of Roosevelt. The Little Missouri National Grassland is part of the Forest Service whereas the other is part of the National Park Service. Two different entities. "Little Missouri National Grassland covers a large expanse of land that includes grassland and badlands. Contained within the National Grassland is Theodore Roosevelt National Park, one of North Dakotas most popular attractions. The Little Missouri National Grasslands are habitat for a wide range of wildlife, including elk, coyotes, deer, big horn sheep, prairie dogs, and more. Visitors can do a driving tour through the area or try some of the hiking trails."

On the western side of North Dakota, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is very worthwhile to see. The colorful Little Missouri River Badlands provides the scenic backdrop to the park & home to a variety of prairie plants and animals including bison, prairie dogs, pronghorn, elk, mule deer and wild feral horses. The South Unit entrance is in Medora, ND. Medora is accessible via Interstate 94 Exits 24 and 27 in North Dakota. Medora is 133 miles west of Bismarck, ND and 27 miles east of the Montana state line. The Painted Canyon Visitor Center is located 7 miles east of Medora on I-94 at Exit 32. Camping

Cottonwood Campground - South Unit Cottonwood and Review
Juniper Campground - North Unit Juniper and Review
Things to do

T. Roosevelt - North Unit

[image]
Juniper Campground

[image]
North Unit Traffic Jam

[image]
North Unit Bison by the day use area

I have not camped or seen much of the Grasslands except from the hwy drive by it. However, I did stop to see a campground just south of the entrance to the North Unit T. Roosevelt where my son has overnighted a time or two. It is off the hwy and is a small campground ( Summit Campground and Picnic Area ), free I believe. Buffalo Gap Campground Review by Medora, I believe my son has stayed there as well.
[image] Grasslands CG

Both Units are neat and somewhat alike but also very different. South Unit has more roads to travel to view a little more varied landscape and to see animals. It is off the interstate and has more visitors as well. North Unit has a shorter road to explore (perhaps smaller in size as well) but much of the road must be new by now. Working on it last summer. One may see many Bison at both, we did at each, visited twice at South Unit. Both last summer.

You should find a site at the campgrounds within the park, North & South. No hookups, I believe. But much too neat not to miss staying within the park, IMHO.

Other North Dakota Sites/CG

* This post was last edited 02/01/10 09:56pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

jim1632

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/10 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't miss touring around Medora, which was sort of the center of the cattle ranching in the late 1800s. The French aristocrat's "cabin" was particularly interesting.

We only spend a few days in that area so hookups were not a problem.

This is an open range area, although this park seems to be much more concerned about buffalo wandering into the campground than does Yellowstone. At Yellowstone, the buffalo can be grazing 10 feet from you. At TR I recall signs saying that campers should leave the area if a buffalo arrives. Nice if the National Parks would decide on one policy to handle things.

loggenrock

New Hampshire

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We really enjoyed spending a good chunk of a day touring around the wildlife loop road in the North unit, I believe, in TRNP. LOTS of wildlife - pretty much had it all to ourselves - certainly worth a visit! ST

Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had never thought of going there, after reading your responses I think we will stop on our way home from Yellowstone, thank you.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Little Missouri National Grassland - Roosevelt National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.