|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/10 02:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

Quote:

the wife will only give me a month and a half for this trip sooo she will get to fly home and I will wander Mexico alone unless...

...unless I fly down, grab a chopper, and jump off at your locale; then the fun starts [emoticon][emoticon]

...the 1st ting we do will be to drive to a private beach at a small village I know (I'll get the police chief there {a buddy of mine} to watch the rig the entire time) directly on the Caribbean side of Honduras with not a single RV present, drink coconut water and rum, do some deep-sea fishing, and boondock (free) for 5 months [emoticon]

...my DW would kill me if she reads this!

Silver-

Ummmm, can you just fly to Denver and let me DRIVE you down there instead? [emoticon] I might get killed by MY wife too, but it'd perhaps be worth it. I'd need full internet access for work though - but I'm sure you've got everything I need, right?

And we wouldn't need maps, we could just let my truck lead the way......but it'd end up taking us to Chile if we weren't careful!

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/10 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

keep up the reports! thanks.

tcman

Aldergrove, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/10 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Mexico for me this year after all. My wife had to have an operation. Next year. I hope. I envy you.

2006 SnowBird 9'6
2005 Chev SRW

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/10 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

El Fuerte and the Copper Canyon.

An impressive statue at a large earthen dam near El Fuerte. I understand very large bass live here.

[image]

OK this is the lake where the bass live.
The spill way is cement the rest is earthen.

[image]

Copper Canyon if you ever get the chance TAKE IT!!
Our room at Divisadero. Second floor, third from left side.

[image]

Oh maybe you would like to see the view from our room.

[image]

El Chepe is the name of the Copper Canyon train, it's not cheap but its sure worth it....

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2015 RAM 1500 V6 8 speed
Regular cab short bed 2 wheel drive.
Leer 180 Topper

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/10 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Culiacan! (KOO-LEE-AH-KAHN)
Culiacan!
Culiacan!
My mouth just likes to say it!

What a city!

So many very friendly, helpful, and just plain sweet people we met there. The wife and I are developing a strong fondness for the Mexican people and the people of Culiacan typify the Mexicans we've met on our trip.

Culiacan is a big city over 950,000 people.
Agriculture drives the economy.
Tourism is almost unknown.
Yet Culiacan is a prosperous city!

The downtown Cathedral
[image]

Right across the street from the Cathedral is a Woolworth store where we had a Mexican food buffet for only 50 Pesos yum.

The river or long lake with a nice park on both sides.
The very nice walkway we used is on the right.
[image]

These kids stopped and asked us if they could pratice English.
When told my English wasn't too hot they all laughed.
[image]
Someone said the future of a country is in the hands of the youth.
If that's true then Mexico is in fine, bright, young hands....

Now if anyone thinks Mexico is just a poor third world country they need to go in and walk around this mall!!!!
One of the nicest Sears stores I've ever seen anchors one end of the mall. A very upscale Liverpool store anchors the other end.
That Liverpool store is more upscale than we can afford to shop in. And we’ve never even heard of them before.
[image]

Culiacan; Worth a visit and it's fun for your mouth to say!!!!!

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/10 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a view of our pad at Celestino RV Resort just north of Mazatlan. Wow we are sure enjoying some of these places. After a couple of nights it's easy to just stay and ignore my wandering instincts. Well not quite!
Celestino is right on the ocean. The beach is gravel but the walk to a sand beach is short and Celestino has a great sea side Patio area to watch stunning sunsets.

[image]

Mazatlan
400,000 people a swell beach, hotels, condos, great eats, shoping whats not to like? Too many gringos is about the only thing thats hard for me to take. Maybe it might be a little intersting when it's time for me to go home.

[image]

Now to get back tho the places we have come to love.
El Quelite a tiny ranching town just north of Mazatlan on the free road Mex 15. Notice the cactus growing on the roof I think birds must sow these seeds. Also check out the gaurd dog that didn't even bark at us!!! Now that's a good dog!

[image]

El Quelite's town Plaza

[image]

The church and plaza at Concordia a small town just East of Mazatlan.

[image]

Copala
Could you spend some time exploring these streets??
We could and did.

[image]

Then after our wanderings of Copala we just had to stop at Daniels for banana cream pie. I lost a little weight before this trip and I may have found it again in Mexico!
Talk of old Mexico Copala was founded about 1536 to mine silver.

[image]

Could a side street like this interest you it sure did us?

[image]

Well my sweety is getting ready to fly home Thursday. I may fall into a deep funk, but Mexico has lots to keep me interested..

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/10 08:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I received the following private message and think the good questions asked might be of intrest to others. So I'll answer them for all readers.

"Great pics and report! Hope to see more. What Internet provider are you using while down there?

Many which ever my current RV park uses. This one is very good at the Mar Rosa Trailer Park in Mazatlan. However it costs extra. 200 pesos for one week.

Do you use a cell phone?

Yes we bought a prepaid Telcel in Hermosillo. 359 pesos for the phone then we added 500 pesos for air time. We can use it from anywhere in Mexico. It takes about 15 pesos a min. to call the US. We used up our first 500 pesos the first weekend calling our three kids. Shorter calls from now on. We bought the phone in a large Telcel office and asked for help in English we were treated like royalty. The sweet gal we talked with set the phone to English for us. Also added the 500 pesos in call time. Now we can go into any OXXO store and add minutes just say recargo. They can do it all right at the cash register.

Our next big trip is to loop down through Mexico along the Sea of Cortez and take a ferry to Baja and all the way up to Vancouver in our TC.
Do you speak Spanish?

NO!!! But we have a Phrase book and the understading of many sweet Mexican people. When all else fails I just let them read the phrase out of the darn book. On the rare times I get the phrase right they start talking and I am lost!!!! Learning Spanish IS not a must but would sure be nice.

Seems that it would be a big help the way you are traveling, but on our trips to Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Matamoros (via Brownsville) we have managed with English; but feel we have missed a lot.

We sure agree..

We have never RV'd in Mexico; and, with the recent problems, we weren't sure we ever would. You seem pretty comfortable with your trip-are you familiar with Mexico?

No we have only been to some border towns plus 9 years ago we spent a week in Manzanillo. Loved it by the way.
RV parks provide much peace of mind. Many have fences with gates. The better half feels much safer than if we were boondocking.
We only drive during the day as well.

Thanks for any replies."

Thanks for the questions.

* This post was last edited 03/02/10 09:00pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Tope Gigo

Manzanillo, Mx

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/10 08:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you heard the Cuota is blocked with protests between Mazatlan & La Cruz (near Celestino)? They are talking about it in the Mexico section. However the Libre between Mazatlan & Culiacan is actually a pretty good road. The situation on Hwy 200 between Manzanillo & Zihuantenjo seems to be quiet for now. I drove it (in a car) a couple of days ago & there were military everywhere. They are stopping & searching everyone just north of Zihuantenejo around Tonones. Looking for drugs & guns. I saw them wave an RV through.

Scott_PDX

Portland oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/03/10 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really enjoying your trip report and pictures. You writing shows me that not only are you having a great trip, but you posses a great attitude as well. It's so nice to hear of what a positive trip you can have to Mexico, and what a wonderful country it can be. Some day I may have to make a trip like yours.

Hope you can get a "couple shot" with the camper in it before your DW flys home. Other than happy couples, I especially like pictures of your RV sites, and ones of your camper in these wonderful places.

Keep enjoying the trip and posting your adventures.

-= Scott

2001 F-350 Crew Cab: Air Rides, Bilsteins, MBRP
2017 Genesis Supreme 19ss Toy Hauler
Bunch of Motorcycles

turtletalk

NC

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we are "traveling" with you. Don't quit the reports just because you go solo!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.