|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> a month in Colorado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all,

My cousin is getting married near Winter Park June 13th. I'd like to take the month to travel to places I haven't been in CO. I thought taking the month of June would make sense, but then the wedding is right in the middle of the trip. I'd like to visit the San Juans and other spots west and south. Starting in May seems to early for the mountain. I have a 22' class C. Doing mid-June to Mid July is a possibility.

What do you folks think? I'd be traveling alone with my cat.

Thanks.

* This post was edited 02/04/10 07:02pm by an administrator/moderator *

Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

Land Yacht CDR

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live in Durango Colorado (Southwest corner) Durango has the narrow gage train that goes fron Durango to Siliverton and is the most beautiful and breath taking trip you will ever have. July is not to early to visit. Great camping too!!!!

The Land Yacht "It's Never too Late"
www.loricole.com
USN (Ret) LDO
"Fair winds and following Seas"
Lori, Steve & Maya
2010 Jayco Embark

Land Yacht CDR

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost forgot, do not let your cat outside alone, a cat or small dog is food to all the other animals in the MTNs.

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 06:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will depend upon the weather both this winter and next spring. Some years there is little snow left by mid May but most years it is there in large quantity. In addition, snow storms in May are quite common in the high mountains in May. The snow-pack is below normal this year so if there is a warm spring you might do OK, but should the snow increase or the spring be a cool one you may have great difficulty with campgrounds, particularly those in the parks and forests.

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Land Yacht CDR ,

Do you mean July is not to early to visit or May?

Yes I'd be very careful with my cat; she's be on a leash with harness if outside.

Diane

Land Yacht CDR

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry the end of May or begining of June is fine. If your wanting to hike into the mtns you may be a little early but still very nice and green and lots to see. The train is runing all the way up to Silverton and the drive thru the mts is fantastic!

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/10 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I guess I'm trying to avoid is having the wedding right in the middle of my travels. Seems to really interupt the flow. I like to stay somewhere based on how I like it rather than on a set itinerary.

Thanks Land Yacht CDR for the train recommendation; I've heard of it and the ride sounds spectacular.

Diane

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/10 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] May, if not too cold & this winter has been a little non-normal so it it hard to predict, could be less busy than July. But again there are many neat places in the San Juans which would not be extremely high elevations, such as Mesa Verde and Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Parks, therefore less likely to be extremely cold or snowy.

There is another neat Train Ride which crosses the Colorado/New Mexico border, which to me seems a neater ride than the Silverton trip. IMHO.

Maybe you can find something of interest in this San Juans post.

Or these posts on Colorado:
Twin Lakes Campgrounds - Independance Pass - Aspen & Leadville Colorado **** Above Colorado Springs

Great Sand Dunes

Just in case you get down into "The Land of Enchantment":
Northern New Mexico

Santa Fe Attractions and Camping Suggestions

7 1/2 hrs, 388 miles by going up US 550 to Montrose to Grand Junction & I-70 to Exit 232 & US 40 to Winter Park. I believe they keep US 550 working all winter, should not have trouble in mid-June or even May. We have gone over it in June without a problem, 1986 it was. Ha! Ridgway State Park is on the down side of the Mts on way to Montrose and not far from Ouray which is a neat stop. Colorado Nat'l Monument is really neat, with a campgound which is by Grand Junction. I believe Georgetown has a Train Ride, my daughter & her husband rode it, seemed to have enjoyed it.

We did go up CO 82 (I-70, Exit 116 - Glenwood Springs) to Aspen one summer, just to see how the Billionaires live.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass
Independence

IMHO, One would not want to "speed" over the route from Durango to Ouray, toooo much to see and would want to stop for a photo op now and again. [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 07/06/10 04:56pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How long would it take me to get from, say, Durango to Winter Park?

Thanks for the links. Ideas are so great. I don't mind cooler weather but have not driven the MH in snow.

Diane

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 01:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My maping program, says 7 1/2 hrs, 388 miles by going up US 550 to Montrose to Grand Junction & I-70 to Exit 232 & US 40 to Winter Park. I believe they keep US 550 working all winter, should not have trouble in mid-June or even May. We have gone over it in June without a problem, 1986 it was. Ha! Ridgway State Park is on the down side of the Mts on way to Montrose and not far from Ouray which is a neat stop. Colorado Nat'l Monument is really neat, with a campgound which is by Grand Junction. I believe Georgetown has a Train Ride, my daughter & her husband rode it, seemed to have enjoyed it.

We did go up CO 82 (Exit 116 - Glenwood Springs) to Aspen one summer, just to see how the Billionaires live.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass
Independence

IMHO, One would not want to "speed" over the route from Durango to Ouray, toooo much to see and would want to stop for a photo op now and again. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 02/05/10 01:56pm by DesertHawk *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> a month in Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.