|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> a month in Colorado

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No question what you should do in my mind. To give you maximum flexibility during your travels, wedding first. Then go wherever, whenever. And enjoy!

pappaone

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVerDiane; there is so many intereesting things to see and do in colorful Colorado that if I was you I would do the wedding and then travel the state. That way you can take your time stop when you want and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

Rich

Rich & Jennie(mate of 59 yrs 6/6/59)
2017 Minnie Winnie 27Q
1 Grey Persian cat
1 German Shepard/Blue healer pup

RVerDiane

Madison, Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your input. I'm torn as I like less crowding. But I'm limited to about that 1 month and I want to make the most of it.

Diane
Madison, WI
'94 Horizon 21 1/2'
towing '04 Honda CRV

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/10 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVerDiane wrote:

Hi all,

My cousin is getting married near Winter Park June 13th. I'd like to take the month to travel to places I haven't been in CO. I thought taking the month of June would make sense, but then the wedding is right in the middle of the trip. I'd like to visit the San Juans and other spots west and south. Starting in May seems to early for the mountain. I have a 22' class C. Doing mid-June to Mid July is a possibility.

What do you folks think? I'd be traveling alone with my cat.

Thanks.

RV’er Diane,

Hard to argue with any of the suggestions – but Colorado has many great areas that can be explored in both early May and June or July – What would suit you better? It sounds as if the San Juan’s are highest on your list so if I were you I’d go to the Wedding then head out to explore South Western Colorado.

Shoot, Colorado has so many great places to explore, that I cannot image making a wrong choice, or for that matter even taking a wrong route, but I will insert my own personal thoughts. Coming from Madison I would make the effort to head to Loveland and take Rt 34 into Estes then over Trail Ridge to Grandby and Winter Park. After the wedding you can take Rt 40 to Berthoud Pass, or if you are not into the Hairpin turns, you could head back to Kremmling and take Rt 9 coming into Dillon and avoiding the Pass and the Tunnel, again catching a different but still beautiful drive.

Leaving Dillon, I would head to Leadville, Buena Vista area and spending some time either driving around many of the trails or maybe even Rt 82 to Aspen (a restricted 30+feet road) but one of the most beautiful drives that should not be missed, even more beautiful late in September when the Aspen change to Gold. After the drive in the Collegiate Peaks head west to Gunnison, maybe even seeing Crested Butte and the Black Canyon NP before heading over to Lake City or Ouray or Telluride then heading to Silverton and Durango, then on to Mesa Verde before heading back east. (hopefully you will find a way to take a 4X4 trip on some of the mining trails)

Leaving Durango on Rt 160 I would make every effort to side off to see Great Sand Dunes NP leaving GSDNP head up Rt 285 to Denver/Golden, from Golden head west on Rt6 to Peak to Peak drive ending up in Estes.

Now the trip has come full circle and you can head to back to Madison maybe catching the Black Hills on the way back.

BOL,

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/10 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does you cat know how to walk on a leash? Both of ours learned how and begged to be taken for walks but only when camping. The rest of the time they were indoor cats.

Cimriver

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/10 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think late June to Mid-July would your best choice for SW Colorado. Mid-July is close to peak for mountain wild flowers. The first part of June can be a little rainy, although that is generally a mid afternoon rain shower. Weather is much drier in July.

Gordon & Patti
2008 F-350, 6.4L. Power Stroke, CrewCab
2012 Dutchmen Komfort 3130FRL Fifth-Wheel

Be Safe!!!!!

Campbella

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/10 04:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with visiting during the height of the camping season, is getting a site. [emoticon]

Nothing more beautiful than Southern Colorado, But may I suggest a trip to Redstone! Redstone Colorado

It's magic there! And well worth a week long stay. From there you can easily see, Glenwood, Aspen (not top on my list, as I have lived there).

Redstone Campground

Easy walk/bike to town for a quick dinner by the beautiful crystal river (gold medal waters). Campground does not sit on the river. Above it!

I really should be the head Chamber of commerce mukey demuk cause I Love everything about Redstone.

While in the area, you could visit Rifle Falls which has a beautiful campground as well, but I am partial to Redstone. [emoticon] Not the campground, The town of Redstone! Rifle Falls

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> a month in Colorado
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.