|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
The Dunks

Madera, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know that this forum is primarily for cooking, but I thot since most of you like to eat, just like I do, well....

We are planning a trip to the Tuscon/Benson/Tombstone area in April. I would really like to hear of any great eating spots in that region. I checked out Guy's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, but nothing. So I am turning to you!

Thanks a bunch!

The Dunks - Terry and Steve
'05 Endeavor - The Oasis
'10 Jeep Liberty
In God We Trust

tandkj

Full timer

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll turn this around and tell you where not to eat and that's anywhere in Tombstone. It's a tourist site and the food reflects the trade. If you go to old Tuscon, the movie location, try the BBQ there. Not bad but not great. In Tuscon, don't know becasue we ate in the MH after sight seeing.

Tis another fine day to serve in and for the glory of the Corps. Every day is a holiday and every meal a feast.
08 Camelot Custom build
07 Ranger Toad
One Golden Retriever at the Rainbow Bridge and a new one traveling with us.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poco & Mama's is an authentic source of New Mexican style Mexican Food in Tucson. Our Southern NM style can not be beaten for Mexican food. IMO. Lots of real NM Green Chile, often called Hatch Chile.

It looks like a dive, it is small, noisey, but the food is pretty good, almost as good as in NM, very close. It can be a little hot, like we like it in NM, just to warm you. Not TOOO HOT, just a little. The wait staff were good, they can tell you if it is very hot or not.

Macayo's Mexican Kitchen was pretty good, not NM style but good food, nice setting, etc.

La Parilla Suiza, with 3 locations, was very good, a Mexico City style menu, we ate at the one on Speedway.

Chipotle Mexican Grill was very good, a fast food style place, clean and large portions. We ate at:
Chipotle - Park Place Mall
5870 East Broadway Blvd.

Losbetos Mexican Food was pretty good, very good prices, with a drive through and walk-in too I believe. Large portions. Only ate there once, lot of food. A little greasy, good flavor. A very fast food style place.

For Chinese food in Tucson without frills & at a great price and very good IMHO, we have taken to The Hot Wok, Asian Bistro found at
Suite 101
7755 East Golf Links Road, Tucson.
We like the Pho as a matter of fact. They have a wide menu.

We have eaten at Great Wall Of China Restaurant once and found it good, maybe a little pricey for the amount of food given. A mom and pop type building, I remember, not far from the D-M Air Force Base main entrance at 2445 S Craycroft Road. Doesn't look great from the outside, but the food and service wasn't too bad at all. Reviews

For breakfast eating, The Good Egg is a neat place with several locations. On 5350 East Broadway Boulevard, 4775 East Grant Road, and 7189 East Speedway Boulevard. It is a chain, but can't tell by the food's taste. Good service. But only open in the mornings. Reviews

Never eaten in Bisbee, but this one sounds Up Class - Cafe Roka. But I have a hunch the Bisbee Grill would be a winner, and I bet you could get some green chile on you cheese burger there as well. If it looks like a looser, perhaps The Alley Cafe will do the trick. For some authentic Sonoran-style cuisine, Santiago's Mexican Restaurant might be the place. Good Luck! And let us know how it all went.

Just found this from the Amerind site, Triangle T Saloon at the Triangle T Guest Ranch near Dragoon, AZ; 60 miles east of Tucson in the foothills of the Dragoon Mountains "to experience Mesquite Barbeque fine spirits and more..."

[emoticon] Bon Appetit!

However, if you really want some good Mexican food and you are near Las Cruces, New Mexico , you will not be disappointed, IMHO. [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 02/05/10 06:04pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 03:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NOT FOOD RELATED, BUT.....The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. DesertMuseum
OldTucson

Saguaro National Park near Tucson is great to see. Two sections seperated by Tucson. East and West. Nat'l Park

East Side one can camp at Colossal Cave.

These are some things I'd like to see DeGrazia Gallery & Tucson Museum of Art & Tucson Botanical Gardens & Sabino Canyon & Pima Canyon at End of Magee Road in Oro Valley; Pima Canyon rivals Sabino Canyon in grandeur, and it just never gets as crowded. From the parking lot at the end of Magee Road, the trail takes you into a pristine high-desert canyon that seems to be hundreds of miles from any urban area. You're likely to see most of the birds common to the Sonoran Desert such as cardinals, rock wrens and band verdins, but the real treat for any hiker is to watch the silhouette of a golden eagle soaring above the cliffs; if you're really lucky, you might even spot some Bighorn Sheep high on the rocks above you. You can turn around anytime, or decide to continue the strenuous hike all the way up to Mt. Lemmon. Also Colossal Cave.

And other Things to Do in Tucson.

You mentioned Tombstone:
In the Bisbee/Tombstone Area, the town of Bisbee itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is a very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Tombstone was the site of a lot of wild west history, but is now very commercial. Neat Tour - Queen Mine

You could use Kartchner Caverns State Park - as base to see both Bisbee & Tombstone in a day trip. When we went to the area last, we stayed in a hotel off I-10 in Benson and did both as a day trip, then drove back to Las Cruces. It was my son-in-laws first time to see them.

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation ( Amerind Art Gallery is Neat ) a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. Amerind.Org Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area, drove to it but did not camp, a nice setting. Cochise Stronghold

Chiricahua National Monument by Willcox is great, been there will go back. Chiricahua NPS but if rigs are too long for the Nat'l Mon Campground in the Coronado National Forest above it you can desperse camp for free.

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

Happy Travels!

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you can find a good Green Chile Cheese Burger in Arizona, we have some goood ones in New Mexico.

One of the most talked about green chile (with an e, not chili) cheese burgers for years, is a "fried" on a grittle in San Antonio, NM at the Owl Bar.....Green Chile CheeseBurger.

This isn't health food, must be good tasting. But a little greasy for me.

I have now been hearing about another green chile cheeseburger in San Antonio, NM. The Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio. Not sure how it is cooked, my wife had one from the Owl many years ago. I have not had one. Her reviews on the cooking was "nothing special, and greesy".

Manny's Buckhorn......Buckhorn Green Chile

Still not health food, ditto on the greasy for me from the photos. I am sure they would be very good, many swear by them.

At home we use ground turkey patties grilled on the bar-bee. With pepper jack or swiss 2% cheese, of course.

But some good ones can be found in Las Cruces, even better that these. Ha! but for real. The Quest in Las Cruces. They did the Quest for the state as well and a couple of places were put on the state list from Las Cruces. Can't remember which ones. The Double-Eagle in Mesilla was one, and it sounds soooo good, even has chopped pecans on it. Just haven't taken the time to go try one. They are all good, even if not on the list, even the ones they will make you at Circle K stop and grabs with a Santa Fe Grill are pretty good. But it would be hard to mess up cheese burger with green chile on it. [emoticon]

* This post was last edited 02/05/10 05:32pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

The Dunks

Madera, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you guys! And we are definitely NOT looking for health food while we are on vacation, LOL, so these place will be perfect. And thank you also for the ideas of things to see. Very helpful! Thanks again.

bamcote

KsMeMoTn

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As DesertHawk mentioned-La Parilla Suiza in Tucson was outstanding Mexican food.

DH, DW, Tildie, Bella and
Molly the Maine Coon
Mina the rescue mutt

2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

eubank

bosque farms, nm

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The green chili cheeseburgers at Manny's Buckhorn Tavern are the ones that Bobby Flay challenged and lost to!

http://www.foodnetwork.co.uk/tv-shows/th........with-bobby-flay/green-chili-burgers.html

We ate over at the Owl Cafe in San Antonio. The place had an interesting atmosphere. The hamburgers were, well, not that spectacular.

BTW, if you're in San Antonio, you're really missing a lot by not visiting the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Preserve:

http://www.fws.gov/southwest/refuges/newmex/bosque/

[emoticon]
Lynn

DesertHawk wrote:

Maybe you can find a good Green Chile Cheese Burger in Arizona, we have some goood ones in New Mexico.

One of the most talked about green chile (with an e, not chili) cheese burgers for years, is a "fried" on a grittle in San Antonio, NM at the Owl Bar.....Green Chile CheeseBurger.

This isn't health food, must be good tasting. But a little greasy for me.

I have now been hearing about another green chile cheeseburger in San Antonio, NM. The Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio. Not sure how it is cooked, my wife had one from the Owl many years ago. I have not had one. Her reviews on the cooking was "nothing special, and greesy".

Manny's Buckhorn......Buckhorn Green Chile

Still not health food, ditto on the greasy for me from the photos. I am sure they would be very good, many swear by them.

At home we use ground turkey patties grilled on the bar-bee. With pepper jack or swiss 2% cheese, of course.

But some good ones can be found in Las Cruces, even better that these. Ha! but for real. The Quest in Las Cruces. They did the Quest for the state as well and a couple of places were put on the state list from Las Cruces. Can't remember which ones. The Double-Eagle in Mesilla was one, and it sounds soooo good, even has chopped pecans on it. Just haven't taken the time to go try one. They are all good, even if not on the list, even the ones they will make you at Circle K stop and grabs with a Santa Fe Grill are pretty good. But it would be hard to mess up cheese burger with green chile on it. [emoticon]

Pics and stuff at my Flickr pages

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I read the title of your post, I was shocked, as I thought you had captured my pet pig "Spots" and were planning on barbequeing him. [emoticon] Actually I wanted to second Old Tucson and the Sonoran Desert Museum. I enjoyed Old Tucson more after I got home as I watched old cowboy flicks and realized how many were filmed there. The Desert Museum lets you see the animals and reptiles that live in the desert that you're not likely to see while driving.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.