|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Need Help Planning Trip Out West From Alabama

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
LittleJimmy

Rogersville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to go West Mid May and will be traveling from No AL. We have decide thus far that we will take I10 across. The only reservations that I have made is in Tapo Canyon Park in LA in June, thanks to someone on here that recommended it. We will be there the 2,3,4 of June for granddaughters graduation in LA. We drive apprx 300 to 500 mi per day and would like to have any recommendations that you could give us on things to see and places to stay and eat. We will be driving a 40 ft MH pulling a tow plus my sister and BIL will be pulling a large fifth wheel. We are going to make a sightseeing trip out of this also and want to drive the CA and OR coast and go across and come back down through Utah. Any recommendations you could give us would be greatly appreciated. We had thought we wanted to go to Yellowstone but decided it was to much to cram in one trip. Thank you so much in advance for your help

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope the daily distance is more on the 300 mile side but that's just me.
Suggest you get Mountain Directory West to list the steep and curvy roads in eleven western states.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

JTMO

Novato, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much time?

Cedar Creek 27LRLS 7359 dry with extensive options/7700+ loaded.
2003 Expedition 5.4 FX4 with factory Tow 3.73 Bilstein shocks. GCVWR 14500, Tow rating with no cargo 8650
Equalizer Hitch, Prodigy, Barker Electric jack. Coachnet ERS
Rallies=14
My travel albums

LittleJimmy

Rogersville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6 to 8 weeks

lizbard

Nacogdoches, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/10 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call 1-800-8888-TEX and request the Texas Travel book, map (with coordinates in the book that go with the map), Camping guide for Texas, Guides for State and Federal parks. There is so much to see and do across IH 10 in Texas.

At 300 miles per day, it will take you approximately 3-4 days to get across Texas, especially if you stop and check out different things.

On the West side of Houston on IH-10 is a Bass Pro Shop. IH-10 will take you thru San Antonio or if you follow the map, you can find other ways to get around it.

Kerrville has some nice RV parks and a Cowboy Artist Museum.

In Sonoroa, you have to get off the highway and go into town to see a large statue of Paizano Pete, he is a large Roadrunner.

Look thru the guide book because it all depends on what you are interested in. There are cities with lots of antiques, west of San Antonio (I think it is off of IH 10) is Bracketville where John Wayne built a replica of the Alamo and they filmed the movie Alamo. I understand there is a RV park out there. There is all kinds of history sites. More than enough to please everyone.

Welcome to Texas, come explore. If you find there is too much to see in Texas to go further west, we won't mind. Texas is a big state.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/10 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sound like you can have a very nice trip, a lot of things and places to see and do for sure, esp. out in the southwest. May and June would be nice months for cool weather, mainly sunny. However, at times after the Pacific Fronts began to roll through in April, it can be a little to very windy and at time dusty. Advise to keep an eye on the weather maps and NM Road Conditions, be able to hole up if one is going to blow through the area you are in or going to be in the next day or so. To see the sights along the west coast of California, it is better to get there before their schools are out in mid-June. But they can get some pretty cool temps in June at times. Years always vary of course. But this year has been very wet and cool out on the west coast. Be sure to bring some warm clothes and layers are always good out here, take off some as it gets warming in the day. SoCal calls it June Gloom, foggy over casted and cool.

Texas Hill Country ****** Big Bend & Southwest Texas & Beyond

TX, NM, AZ Attractions, etc. **** Tucson, Bisbee & Dragoon, AZ Eats

Perhaps a nice side trip off I-10 would be good.
White Sands National Monument & Carsbad Caverns ** Cloudcroft & Ruidoso Areas Plus much of NM

Possible Side Trips off I-10

Los Angeles Area

San Diego Beach Camping

Los Angeles to San Francisco **** Half Moon Bay & BART **** Pacific Northwest

Idaho **** Wyoming State Parks with Lakes **** Clear Lake, Iowa

To see Brice and Zion, we did the North side of the Grand Canyon, which is less crowded than the South. But we had to stay at a forest service camping area, campground was full in the park. Not a bad place and not far to the canyon. We had gone by Monument Valley on our way to the Canyon with a stop at Page which was so hot at night we had to go to a higher elevation, Grand Canyon. Cool there. But in Sept, no hot weather to worry about. Maybe cold at times instead.

If coming from Oregon, it might be easier to see Zion and Brice then the Canyon, then to Monument Valley & Navajo National Monument, Canyon de Chelly and maybe points East. [emoticon]

Here is a good Link to other Utah Sites. We went to Fish Lake and Panguitch Lake and to Capital Reef Nat'l Park as well as Bridges Nat'l Monument. All very neat. And not too far on to
Mesa Verde Nat'l Park * Camping * Nearby Attractions

A trip over to see Monument Valley from Grand Canyon (208 miles from Williams to Mon't Valley). Also Canyon de Chelly by Chinle is great with a free campground and showers. Been there want to go again. Nat'l Park

Navajo National Monument is located at the end of State Highway 564 off of US Highway 160. We have not been to this one, but sounds very interesting. Two campgrounds, one open all year, somewhat isolated but no fees are charged. NPS Site - Visit
Navajo

[emoticon] Of course, The Moab Area has many national parks and a nice state park to see as well. Arches National Park - Canyonlands National Park & Dead Horse Point.

Moab is not far from Colorado Nat'l Monument which is really neat, with a campgound which is by Grand Junction. On the way toward Denver, Georgetown, CO has a Train Ride, my daughter & her husband rode it, seemed to have enjoyed it.

We did go up CO 82 (I-70, Exit 116 - Glenwood Springs) to Aspen one summer, just to see where the Billionaires play.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground Maybe too small of sites for your rigs.
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass
Independence

Wow! So much to see, so little time and soo many miles. [emoticon] What to see? What route or routes? What fun putting the trip together! [emoticon] Too bad you don't have 6 months.

* This post was last edited 02/05/10 11:58pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/10 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ouch! You are very ambitious with your planning. IMHO you are best to travel US101 from North to South. That way you get to see the sites far better along the coast. Lacking the ability to do that, plan on at least two weeks on US101 or it will simply turn into a marathon drive to get there. Your last stop on the Oregon coast should be Ft Stevens State Park, then take US30 east picking up I5 at Longview WA and take that south toward Portland. From there you have several choices to Salt Lake City area, I84, US26 or US20 are all choices depending on what you are interested in. Once you get that part nailed down a bit, come back and ask for some more help for this part of the trip.

LindaAnn

Columbus MS

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/10 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We, too, are planning a spring trip West. We're going to the area of Devils Tower, Mount Rushmore, the Badlands, then to Yellowstone. From there to the north Oregon coast, follow the coast down to the Redwoods in California, then head back. We're allowing about the same amount of time you are.

You have already received lots of good info, as I did when I requested help on our trip. A number of people advised us to do the Oregon coast from North to South because of the pulloffs and scenery. That made good sense!

We do not have our plans totally complete, so I will be interested in reading some of the replies you receive.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/10 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have done the drive both ways, First time from the North, Second from the South, a little easier to turn onto the turn offs from the North but not so bad from the South, just have to be more alert, but got to be very alert on the drive any way. We used both 101 and Hwy 1, often same road in spots, but wanted to drive the coastal route, best sights there IMO.

LittleJimmy

Rogersville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/10 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of you for your help. Lots of good information and links. We would like to drive the coast No to So but due to commitment in LA it will have to be So to No. What about 101. I am a little concerned as my sister keeps asking is it like "The Blue Ridge Parkway" Will we be safe in big rigs. I imagine there are places we could get off. We also would like to see Crater Lake and drive the OR Gorge and then most likely will drive over to Pocatello, Idaho to see a friend and then head south to Utah. Want to go to Salt Lake City and see Zion and Bryce and Grand Canyon. I know this is a lot for this trip and may not can do it all.. Keep the post coming and thank you for helping us plan a trip pf our life time.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Need Help Planning Trip Out West From Alabama
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS