|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
geraldlanc

georgetown, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can someone recommend a campground for a month long stay in southern Utah to use as a base for exploring that part of the state?
Gerald

rv2go

Fulltime 15 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 09:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon] "Southern Utah" is a hugh area. If you have a month, I would probably break it up into 3 stops. Moab for the area around Arches. Then Ruby's Inn for the Bryce Canyon area. Then over to Springdale for Zion.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 09:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, a lot to see and a very large area as well. This is what I have in my Utah file:

When we wanted to see Bryce and Zion, we did the North side of the Grand Canyon before going to them; which is less crowded than the South. But we had to stay at a forest service camping area, campground was full in the park. Not a bad place and not far to the canyon. We had gone by Monument Valley on our way to the Canyon with a stop at Page which was so hot at night we had to go to a higher elevation, Grand Canyon. Cool there.

Check this What to see & do at Bryce, Clicky.

It seems, it might be easier to see Zion and Brice and any other of the Utah National parks, then to Monument Valley & Navajo National Monument, Canyon de Chelly in Arizona and maybe points East. [emoticon] Of course, The Moab Area has many national parks and a nice state park to see as well. Arches National Park - Canyonlands National Park & Dead Horse Point. We noticed this RV Park outside of Moab when we were in the area, but we had parked in one in Moab kind of down town area. Not sure of the name. They have many to choose from.

Here is a good Link to other Utah Sites.

We went to Fish Lake and Panguitch Lake because we had a canoe with us and wanted to use it. We made a day trip from Panguitch Lake to Zion via the Dixie Nat'l Forest & top part of Cedar Breaks National Monument because it was so hot in Zion (100 degrees or so)and in those days we did not have a generator for the A/C.
http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/dixi...nal_forest.html

http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/ceda...l_monument.html

We later went to and camped at Capital Reef Nat'l Park as well as Bridges Nat'l Monument. All very neat. And not too far on to
Mesa Verde Nat'l Park * Camping * Nearby Attractions

It wouldn't be tooo far of a trip from Monument Valley down into AZ to Navajo National Monument and/or Canyon de Chelly Nat'l Monument by Chinle, which are unique with a free campgrounds and showers. Been there want to go again. Nat'l Park

We drove by the turn off to Goosenecks State Park in Utah when we went to Mon't Valley. It seems like one to see. Goosenecks added info ** Primitive camping *** How Far To____

Navajo National Monument is located at the end of State Highway 564 off of US Highway 160. We have not been to this one, but sounds very interesting. Two campgrounds, one open all year, somewhat isolated but no fees are charged. Visit
Navajo

[emoticon] Of course, The Moab Area has many national parks and a nice state park to see as well. Arches National Park - Canyonlands National Park & Dead Horse Point. It really make you want to take a 4 wheel drive Jeep or something out and drive some of the trails you can see from the tops of bluffs or whatever on the way to Dead Horse and othe places in Canyonlands.

Moab is not far from Colorado Nat'l Monument which is really neat, with a campgound which is by Grand Junction. On the way from or toward Denver, Georgetown, CO has a Train Ride, my daughter & her husband rode it, seemed to have enjoyed it.

We liked the FLAMING GORGE National Recreation Area - dramatic red cliffs above a large artificial lake- over by Dutch John and Vernal, but this is in the Northeast UT.

Have a good trip, I'd like to go out there again myself. Happy Tavels!

* This post was last edited 08/26/10 10:22am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

pbar34

Altadena, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 09:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget about Lake Powell. We stay at Wahweap every year and love it.

Phil

2005 Cougar 275EFS
2007 Chevy CC, D/A LBZ

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to RV Parks, Nat'l Parks, State CGs and more.....
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

sparker1

St Petersburg, Fl, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/10 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, there are many areas that warrant some time. If you only want to stay in one place for a month, I would choose Kanab, Utah. From there you can make day trips to Bryce, Zion, Lake Powell, north rim and lots of other places. There are many hiking/photography opportunities from this base. I have spent weeks in the area without seeing it all. My photo gallery has some of it. The RV Corral in Kanab is a good park, nice folks running it.

Stan

2002 Monaco Windsor DP
2003 Honda Pilot

Travel photos at Photo Gallery

Eurocamper

Salt Lake City, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 12:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As has already been pointed out, "Southern Utah" encompasses a huge region. No single spot can serve as a base camp to see all, or even most of it.

I've tramped around that area for years and here's my opinion: Southwest Utah and Southeast Utah are distinct areas that will each require a different base camp. The obvious choice for SE Utah is Moab, with access to Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point, Not to mention the surrounding public lands that would merit National Park status if they were anywhere else.

Less obvious is a base camp for SW Utah. Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and the various State parks are more spread out. If it were me, I would find a place in or near Springdale (the gateway community outside of Zion). From there you can see most of the region with long day trips.

Then, when you're ready to move on to Moab, I would spend a night or two at Capitol Reef, which is situated about halfway between the two.

2008 Fleetwood Evolution E1
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Hemi
2007 Nissan Xterra 4x4
Ex 1997 Volkswagen Eurovan Camper

grizzly660fan

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get out to those areas often and would wholeheartedly agree with the advice given by eurocamper. have fun!

2012 Epic Voltage 3905
2013 High Output Dodge Cummins

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/10 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you've probably gathered by now, this is a big area and it's not joined by high speed interstate highways. You're better off moving several times rather than spending several hours every day just getting to your next park. BTW, pick your month carefully. While we've hit 100+ temps in Moab in May, we've seen three foot drifts at Cedar Breaks NM in late June.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.