RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Michigan's winter wonderland 2/5/2010 (pics & vids)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Michigan's winter wonderland 2/5/2010 (pics & vids)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Spott

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/10 09:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

February 5th 2010, it was a cold and snowy morning, luckily we had packed up the night before for our weekend away from home in Michigan’s winter wonderland.

[image]

We were on our way up north to a place called Lake City, Michigan, we had never been there before and were not sure what we would find. We were looking to find a snowmobile trail-head with suitable ambiance for boon-docking over the weekend, the first one was in the middle of town and surrounded by houses so we drove on. The next stop (that was recommended by a local) turned out to be a business that was open all weekend.

Here's one of the beautiful roads we found available to travel

[image]

[image]

[image]

Then we found a trail-head just north in Moorestown. It is right “on” the trail, as in, the sleds drove just ten feet from our TC as they went on their way. We saw as few as one and as many as twelve at a time, overall the area did not have a lot of traffic.

[image]

The entire weekend there was not another car or truck parked in the lot with us and at night it was actually dark, a very pleasant surprise (no city lights to keep us up).

We headed out in all directions the first day just to see what was around us, we had hoped to find a nice hill for tobogganing as well but were not able to find one nearby.

[image]

On the second day we went into Kalkaska to get lunch at a local pub and top off our gas tanks, the gas station had a good business going on.

[image]

Here are our breadcrumbs of the first part of the day. Approx. 35 miles one way.

[image]

On the way back we stopped along one of the rivers for some sightseeing.

[image]

[image]

Here we're taking a snack break on our private deck after a ride, it was fun to see the other sleds drive by us as we gave each other a friendly wave. (I just know they were envious as they looked at the TC parked for free)

[image]

On another ride we spotted a footpath into the woods so we stopped and wandered in to see where it led, we had gotten quite a ways in and I decided we should get back to our sleds that were parked on the side of the trail.

[image]

[image]

The weather outside was delightful, when we got up in the morning it was 10* and by mid-day it was averaging 30*.
The weather outside was also frightful, the nighttime lows…

[image]

We ran our honda 2000 at dinnertime to run the microwave and as long as it was out we let it run the electric heat, I don't carry extra gas for the honda, I just carry a siphon and take it out of the trucks tank. That is when I don't forget and leave it at home. [emoticon] [emoticon]

We did the groomed trails, fire roads and paths we found through the forest. We saw summer cottages and travel trailers that were snowed in. The trails were in average condition since they had not gotten much in recent snow and they had a very thick ice base since they had rain just a month ago. All in all it was a great trip.

Me - Kim - Spot
2006 F-350 4x4 DRW V10 - 2005 Northern Lite 10-2000CD

What's behind the name? Screen name that is.

past-MIdirector

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/10 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No deer? Looked like there were a lot of prints in the snow on the trails. From your GPS you look like you were pretty close to the National Guard Reservation. That's a beautiful area up there any time of the year.

danoren

Where ever I Camp

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 12:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post ,great adventure.
How did you keep yourself warm during the night?

F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website

LanceCamper845

Pocono Mountains, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/10 01:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce,

Do you just set your generator on the snowy ground or do you have some kind of rack for it?

2008 Ford F-250 Crew-Cab w/ Camper Package
6.8L V-10 / 5 Speed TorqShift / 4.10 Rear
Ride- Rites / Stable- Loads / TorkLift Tie Downs / Fast Guns
2011 Lance 830

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 02:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice, it seem that you had a lot a fun ! Thanks !

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 02:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like fun. What a pretty area.

junmy3

Middle Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost makes me want to move north when I retire. Just kidding. I did enjoy the pictures though.

Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/10 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great post!!! Thanks. I love snowmobiling too.

Seems strange to see short tracks. Our dealers don't even stock them anymore. If you want one they have to order one in. Of course when the long tracks first came out, they looked strange too!! [emoticon]

Do you use your water system in the winter or keep it winterized?

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Gman240

Potterville, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 05:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked like a great trip!! Sorry we couldn’t have gone with you. Seeing the videos really brings back some great memories. Our kids keep us busy on the weekends w/ sports and scouts so no snowmobiling for us. I still love the Michigan winters [emoticon]

Dean, Kim and the Kids
2005 Chevy Duramax 3500 dually. Air lift, Tork lift overloads
2008 Lance 1131 nicely loaded
Potterville, MI

rhode trip

Rhode Island

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/10 06:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a good time, Bruce. Thanks for posting!

2002 Dodge 3500 CTD/DRW/
2000 Northern Lite 10-2000cd

www.LapelPinPlanet.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Michigan's winter wonderland 2/5/2010 (pics & vids)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.