|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> San Antonio visit: looking for a recommendation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Texas Roadrunner

San Antonio, Tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/10 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveler's World and the KOA are probably the two parks closest to downtown. Since we live in SA, have not stayed in either one, or any of the others, for that matter. Traveler's World is south of downtown and the KOA is east of downtown. Neither of these is in the best part of town, but have never read of anyone having any problems. Admiralty and Blazing Star are both about 25-30 minutes, depending on traffic, from downtown and due west of there.

A fun place to visit that no one has mentioned is the King William area. There are many old stately homes to visit there. You can have a great breakfast at The Guenther House and tour the home. Next door is the Pioneer Flour Mill, which they owned. The Steves home is another great one to visit. This area is just south of downtown. El Mirador is a good Mexican restaurant in that area. On the river, be sure to visit Boudro's, Cajun name but southwestern cuisine, for the most part. It has been voted the best restaurant on the river for several years now. If you are of a mind, and want to visit a really nice bar with outstanding food, try Zinc which is on Presa St. and adjacent to the street entrance to Boudro's. They have a great burger, DH says it is addictive! Am sure you plan to visit the Alamo, hopefully you can get a tour, am not sure what they are offering now. Two other missions worth visiting are San Jose and Concepcion. Be sure to check out the acequia that connects all the missions and was their water source. The Spanish Governor's Palace is also great to visit, although no governor's ever lived there. I recently toured San Fernando Cathedral and really enjoyed seeing the restoration and renovation project completed. There is much history here. Market Square is fun and there are two good Mexican restaurants there. One is La Margarita and the other is Mi Tierra. Both are owned by the same family, a little touristy, but still good. The Mexican shrimp cocktail at La Margarita is really good! You will enjoy a ride on one of the river barges and you can learn a good deal. We really have a great zoo and the Japanese Tea Garden there has been recently renovated, haven't been, but have been told that it is nice. Near the zoo is the Witte Museum, beautiful grounds and a good museum. The McNay Art Museum is really worth a visit. It is housed in an old home and has some great pieces, as does the San Antonio Museum of Art. The Botannical Gardens are great to visit and they have a wonderful little cafe for lunch.

Fredericksburg is about an hour and 10 minutes NW of San Antonio and well worth a visit. DesertHawk touched on many of the activities there. The Nimitz Museum, Admiral Nimitz of WWII fame, is from Fredericksburg. It has very recently been redone and will take a good deal of time to get through. Friends toured it last weekend and said it was great. For good German food, try the Auslander, for more upscale food, the Navajo Grille is really good. You might want to spend a night or two there. There are several good parks there, our favorite is the KOA, but Lady Bird is also good. I love to shop there as well as in Boerne, another small town 30 minutes NW of SA. Boerne is on I10 and Fredericksburg is about 20 minutes off I10.

PM me if I can be of further help, there are lots more restaurants to recommend, but am not sure where you will be or what your preferences are. DH just retired last June and I know how special our inaugural trip was, we logged about 16,ooo miles last summer and fall! Almost forgot, the San Antonio Express News has a magazine called "The Weekender" that comes out with the paper on Friday. It lists what is going on all over the city for that weekend, and has some ongoing activities. Enjoy you visit and Welcome to San Antonio, in advance!

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/10 11:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from 5th wheels to RV Parks, Nat'l Parks, State CGs and more...
Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/10 03:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One recommendation I would make is don't take a 40+ footer downtown....I won't tell you how I know.....[emoticon]....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

proffsionl

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/10 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are frequent visitors to SA. If we are taking the kids to Sea World, etc., then we usually will stay at Blazing Star RV Park (five minutes from Sea World). If we are going to be doing more on the Riverwalk or going to the SA zoo, we will stay at Traveler's World (they will give you the route to take to get to their location...do NOT trust your GPS due to a bad railroad crossing that will high-side your trailer).

Both are nice parks.

Kevin Taylor
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab 4x4 CTD
2009 Open Range 399BHS
Sidewinder/5th Airborne combo, Reese 18K Select Plus Hitch
Austin, Texas

fire-escape

Sorrento, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/10 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're presently at Alamo Siesta in Boerne and don't recommend it as it is worn out, half empty and service fees are high. However, there is so much to see in the region I would recommend staying at any park within forty miles of where you want to be a tourist. The RV park reviews site is the place to find a park.

Ray & Cece

Sanford, ME/Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/10 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is where we stay, it's just outside San Antonio in the hill country. [emoticon]

Texas 281 RV Park

2007 HitchHiker DA 32LKTG
Full-time Class of 2005

slarsen

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/10 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skipt/Norine: I thought I was clear. It looks like the best option, but never having been in Texas, I was looking to see if anyone had better information about somewhere even better. And so far, the advice has been outstanding, better than I could have even hoped for.

Scott

afrescopXx

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/10 09:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We live 2 miles from Blazing Star RV resort and took our brand new 5ver there so we could hook up and show the family and friends. Blazing Star is very nice as is Admiralty. Blazing Star is located on Loop 1604 and is close to many restaurants. Both parks are spotless and well staffed. Both are located within two minutes of Sea World.

If you are military affliated (active or retired) there are two good FamCamps, one at Lackland AFB, the other at Fort Sam Houston.

lizbard

Nacogdoches, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/10 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For military who want to stay more in the country, Ft Sam Houston and one of the AFB have Famcamps at Canyon Lake.

If you want to see the Alamo that was used in the John Wayne movie and other movies, it is in Bracketville. I think I remember seeing it has a RV park nearby.

Also, check in the paper on Friday or Saturday to see if there are any farmers markets if you want fresh produce.

Skip and Norine

Fulltiming since Oct 2006

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/10 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slarsen wrote:

I found the Admiralty RV Resort on the internet, and it looks OK. Does anyone have a better suggestion, given that I am looking for somewhere clean, neat and attractive?

Clarification, please.

I'm reading the above excerpt from your post as saying that you do not believe that Admiralty RV Resort is "clean, neat and attractive".

Is that correct?

I ask for two reasons:

1) I had intended to post pictures of our stay there for you, but am not inclined to waste my time or yours if you have already decided against staying there, and

2) the tone of the above excerpt implies (at least to me, anyway) that appearances (i.e., image) are important to you. If that interpretation is correct, please know that your choices in campgrounds and RV parks will be severely limited and state and national parks will be out of the question. Thus, your affinity for image may well culminate in your missing a large portion of the RV experience.

Traveling our country and seeing the sights, enjoying fun-filled days and campfire nights
See our travel pics
The rig: 2006 SportsCoach Cross Country SE
The toad: 2006 Saturn Vue
The Captain: Skip
The Co-Captain: Norine
Furry passengers: Penny & Biscuit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> San Antonio visit: looking for a recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.