RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: 2001 Lance 1161 slide out sag fix!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1161 slide out sag fix!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
paperclip

toledo oh

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/10 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image] Under slide with rotted wood removed

[image] Slide ran iside to access support rebuild

[image] Inner steel 2x2 angle installed and bottom section of new spacing wood installed

[image] Front angle welded connection to exsisting angle that jacks mount to

[image] rear support connection at back of slide out opening

[image] I wanted to make sure that both tie town points where mounted in this angle iron so an access was cut in the bottom of the propane storage area to drill holes and attach hardware

[image] more wood installed as you can see this wood has no structural value it is strictly installed to space out steel and aluminum angle to maintain original wall thickness

2001 Lance 1161 TC

1999 Ford F350 DRW

paperclip

toledo oh

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/10 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image] aluminum outer angle being installed. this angle was drilled and countersunk then through bolted to inner steel angle. This sandwiched the entire thing together. short of one bolt from the jack going through the aluminum, its strength is gained from the steel inner angle

[image] another outer angle install pic

[image] This is the front view. I was trying to maintain the same thickness as the orignal wood wall so the filon would go back on and look factory

[image] top view after everything was bolted together. I used an adhesive between each layer

[image]

[image] underside completed

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/10 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that you will post more pictures. Especially the skirt area.

This thread shows the amount of work and skill needed to repair the slide area of the camper.

I should be in the Truck Camper University.

sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

paperclip

toledo oh

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/10 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to take some completed photos, it turned out really great. I did gain some more seams where cuts where made in the filon. I used metal seam strips to cover the new seams and they look pretty good. The camper is in storage right now. When it comes out i will take more pics and post them. If anyone has any questions or would like specific pics let me know, I do have more. This was my first camper fix, I am in no way an expert with this stuff. I am a fabricator and did all this work myself. I was able to acquire the 2x2 steel angle as a left over from work. I was given the filon by a body shop guy my dad new that had done a fix on a motorhome. All in all I have just under 200 dollars in this fix and i would guess around 30 hours. But it was well worth the trouble, I saved thousands on this fix!!!

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/10 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a beautiful job... and you are correct... $3000 or more to do what you have done.

Congratulations

Sleepy

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/10 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A second on the TCU link. That's an awesome job......way better than new and it ought to last a long long time.

I'm curious, when you take the 'lip' off the slide room, the slide will actually go inside the camper that far? Do you have to take it off the track, or at least turn the motor to 'manual' and then just use the crank?

Great job!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/10 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW great and awesome Job ! Congratulations .

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/10 11:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope that with my 2005 1161...this issue had been addressed by Lance!!! You did a fine and expert job...much better than any fix-it place would have done and if they did do what you did...what would have been the charge...WOW!

Thx for posting and looking forward to seeing your finished pics. YES this needs to go to TCU. THX Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

paperclip

toledo oh

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/10 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

A second on the TCU link. That's an awesome job......way better than new and it ought to last a long long time.

I'm curious, when you take the 'lip' off the slide room, the slide will actually go inside the camper that far? Do you have to take it off the track, or at least turn the motor to 'manual' and then just use the crank?

Great job!

Once the trim stops are removed the slide can be ran in with the motor until the gears stop making contact with the slotted rails on the bottom of the slide. From there I went indside and put some small jack stands on the floor and pulled it in the rest of the way. FYI you do have to remove your thermostat and tv antenna handle for the slide to come in. I pulled it all the way in until it touched the fridge door. When it is time to pull it back out you just need to be sure that the gears catch at the same place on both notched rails or the slide will not make up correctly on both sides when ran in. The slide itself is suprisingly light, I was able to move it around easily bymyself.

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/10 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Small changes each year... our 2003 model 1161 has the TV antenna crank about 12" forward of the slide... over the bed. I'd still have to remove the thermostat... maybe.

Ours was redone by Lance at the factory... your way is stronger.

We were just part of the learning curve for slide rooms... I think the 2005 has the permanant fix.

You have shown us the way!

sleepy

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 2001 Lance 1161 slide out sag fix!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS