|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Newbie sooo confused please help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
irishjule

Carlsbad, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought 2 INTERSTATE Marine/RV deep cycle SRM27 marine cranking batteries for my alpenlite laramie.
I believed that by driving my truck each day it would re-charge the Interstate camper batteries?
After reading some of the posts i am more confused than ever. I dont plan to boondock until i get the hang of all this and i plan to keep it pretty simple, I know i cant run the AC and microwave with just the interstates, but from the sounds of all the options people are using beyond the camper batteries i am wondering if i can even go for a day without 120 power.
Anyone just have the two camper batteries and hows that working for ya?
Thanks Irishjule the virgin newbie

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi irishjule,

With moderate use the batteries may last for 2 nights before hitting 50% state of charge. So you should be "good to go" for boondocking in that time frame.

Rate of recharging from the engine may be dependent on how thick the charging wire is.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TCcruzn

Santa Cruz, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 06:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 Interstate deep cycle, not marine, type 27 batteries rated at 85 amp hours each. I can go 2 days and nites winter camping, with the thermostat on at least 50 deg all of time, without charging. Nighttime temps are usually around 15deg. If the nights are warmer the batteries last longer. If the days are sunny my solar panel helps as well. In the summer the batteries will last a week easy. Winter camping is tough on batteries because the lights are on more and the furnace fan takes a lot of juice.
To best understand your 12v system I recommend installing the Trimetric battery monitor. It will take the mystery and guesswork out of boondocking.

2005 F250 4x4 CC SB V10,Rancho 9000,Tough Country winch bumper, 13500# Superwinch,Firestone airbags,Yaesu 2900
2008 Lance 830,200w AMsolar,BZ highvoltage controller
Yamaha EF2000
2012 Lund 1650 Rebel XL
1967 Honda Trail 90 (on the front bumper)

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/10 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went many years camping in a TT without a generator and seldom having electric hook-ups. And with just one battery. We would boondock for many more than two days. I did many things to keep the battery charged, if we were driving/towing the trailer every day or so, the drive would charge up the battery. If stationary, I often would hook up the trailer's electric cord to the pickup and run the pickup while we used the shower, mom, dad & two kids. Then I made my own extension cord to run from the pickup to the trailer battery, which would charge it better. Now with solar one can get a variety of solar chargers and maintainers which can help keep it going. Of course, a small generator can help keep them charged and be used to run the A/C, microwave and hair dryer as well now and again.

What seems to drain power a lot would be the waterpump and if the furnace is being used, it can drain it quickly.

I would think one of these would be good to keep them going longer. I have a smaller one, much like this which has keep our batter up.

We also use our 2000i Honda in the mornings when showering and using the micro and a hair dryer. And if in a hot area to run the A/C. And many have very large solar units on their rigs. You can also get a DC charging chord to use with the Honda which will charge a battery more quickly than using the one in the trailer or TC. To keep from having to run the gererator as long. DC Charging Cables

[image]
Honda working it's magic.

My son has two batteries and of course having two will give power for a longer time. He has been using a small 1000 generator to keep his batteries up and going.

* This post was last edited 08/28/10 12:45am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 volt side of life

I have two grp 31's . I run my honda 2000 for a hour or two each eve to bring the batts. back up . It will depend on your usage if you make it through a day and night or not.
Its the hidden things that sneak up your power bank ................
The fridge while running on gas will draw 12 v. power . depending on the fridge anywhere from .50mA to 1.5 amps.

furnace draw can be from 3.5 amps to 7 amps .

water pumps draw 5-7 amps.

The LCD/TV/DVD has a stand-by power draw .

The c02/propane detectors have a draw.

LED lights will save you power . Avg. LED light will use about .20 mA give or take . A regular 12 v. auto bulb will draw 1.25 amps or so .

Anything that has an LED light that tells you its on , is drawing power .
I have added in line toggle switches and pulled fuses on items to cut down power consumption when boondocking. I have a portable battery operated c02 detector that i use . I have changed to all LED's . It has made a huge difference .

All these items added together will kill your batts. in a few days of non use . Just put a multi-meter on your battery and check the draw when everything is off. When your boondocking you will need to charge them up somehow. Solar, genny or the less efficient way,running the truck .

good luck, i hope the info. helps . bob .

irishjule

Carlsbad, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/10 07:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all of you. The panic has started to subside As long as i can boondock for a couple days i will be fine. I am taking pianotuna's advice to get a heavy gage wire for my altenator to the battery's he says it will charge the battery's better. Also i am buying a trimetric battery monitor. It will give me an idea of how much i have left in them.
I am sure this won't be the last time you hear from me.
If your wondering why the panic, i am leaving in one week for a year on the road and i have never even camped in the truck camper yet!!!!!
Be WEll
irishjule

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/10 01:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One year on the road right off the bat. Great tease. Now you are obligated to post updates. North in the Summer, South in the Winter for best battery efficiency. Also, you'll enjoy wearing shorts outside a lot more often if you follow the seasons.
Best wishes for a fun and safe trip.
Care to post any planned highlights?

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

4*phun*2

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/10 04:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try boondocking in your drive way. You will find how long your batteries last and some of the things you may want to keep in the TC.

Glenn & Karen
'08 Chevy LT 3500 HD 4x4 CC LB DRW (nice hips)
'06 F350 4X4 Lariat CC LB DRW (nice hips) retired
'09 Victory Lane 38SRV Toy Hauler
'02 HD Road King FLHRCI KRUZN
'04 F150 XLT Super Crew
Our Toys

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Newbie sooo confused please help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.