RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Front end tear down.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front end tear down.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This post will be updated as I progress.

I have found the front end of my 2003 Lance 1010 rotted out and so will have to do a tear down rebuild and reseal. This post may help others as I tell you how I am progressing.

The first job was removing the mattress. I could not figure out how to remove until I folded it in half, front to back, turned it sidewalys, stood it up and pulled it out. Suggest one use a rope to keep it in folded position. Next was to remove the front window valance. This took a little time to find all the screws. After a bit of upside down searching I found two brackets at the top, held with 2 screws each and one screw on each side into the side cabinets. Be sure to remove the screws all the way to avoid scratching the vinyl side wall. Then there are 2 plastic clips at the bottom that must be snapped open to expose the screws. Finally the valance light must be unpluged which is a twist snap connection.

The headboard is held in place by 6 screws. Two are at the top on each end and the bottom is fastened at the corners. The speakers must be removed and I found that the speaker covers pop off by carefully using a flat blade screw driver.

Next the front window. My camper has both a storm window and a main front window. The storm window is held in place by 4 clips. To remove the screws one needs to have a square drive bit. The job is much easier with a good drill where the bits can be chucked as it makes the screw removal easier. After the storm window is removed from the inside the screws and a locking bezel are revealed. Again the square drive is needed to remove the 20 or so screws holding the bezel. After removal of the bezel the window simply pushes out. If working alone, suggest you only push out enough to grab it from the outside to keep the window from falling to the ground.

As I progress, I have been removing all of the old caulk from the camper top. So far I have worked from the back and am up to the point of removing the refrigerator vent cover. This will leave the Sat Dish, Solar Panel and front hatch for the final part of the caulk removal. Removval of the caulk is not an easy job, but with the help of naptha and my Rockwell Sonicrafter tool which eats the caulk like butter the most problem I have is stiff knees I removed the A/C and put a new gasket underneath and a new shroud. The gasket was $16.00 and the shroud was $133. which was a little more than I could have bought on line but did not have to worry about shipping cost and possible damage.

To remove the front Filon I will have to detach the front side trim, top annd bottom trim and running lights. In order to do this I will need to buy or construct 4 ft scaffolding to be able to reach the trim screws even though I have lowered the camper as low as it will go. If I decide to reconstruct the front without the window I will have to purchase 6 ft of Filon which comes 110 inches wide and cost 54.88 a running foot , Ouch. Lance tells me that the Filon is backed with cardboard which allows the Filon to be curled around the radius of the nose.

More to post after a while. I would post pix but don't know how

* This post was edited 02/20/10 10:25am by an administrator/moderator *

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 11:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pics will make this a lot more informative...
Just need to upload to a site-flicker-photbucket etc. then use the editor funtion ..
Good luck. I assume your doing this inside under cover?

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 11:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a 20' X 26' metal carport with 11 ft legs and sides that come down to 5 feet to keep the rain out and protect against sun. Since I live in Florida, I don't have to worry about snow (unless Al Gore and global warming is a lot of hooie). I plan on covering the open front end of the camper as I work with a tarp to keep the birds out when I am not working and at night. I have removed all the food to keep the racoons from tearing through the tarp. The camper is far enough under the carport to keep out any rain driven by wind and Hurricane season is some months away.

While removing caulking, I had a wild turkey gobbler walk right in front of the carport and never saw me [emoticon] so I have a built in stand when spring gobbler season comes around.

I will try to post Pictures as I progress.

Gary3

Windsor, ON

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those front windows caused a lot of grief ,I had a jayco camper with the window in the front it leaked on us in Florida in a heavy rain. Later that year we took it back to the factory and they removed the window for $500 it was worth it.

Gary  Lance  1191 solar Gen.

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lance88lover wrote:

..While removing caulking, I had a wild turkey gobbler walk right in front of the carport and never saw me [emoticon] so I have a built in stand when spring gobbler season comes around...

Thats funny..

As much as we like the added light, ambiance of the front window, does make the camper seem more open when curtains are open, If I had mine apart Id probably remove it. Cold/heat/sweat-potential for huge leaks, big expense though.

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/10 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not rich and so I will have to decide on keeping the existing filon and the window or replaceing it. yesterday, I removed the storm window and the front window and found the frame completely rotted so I shoved the window back in and will construct the frame subassembly before further tear down to keep the time that the camper is open. I will have to wait until I remove the filon though to use the existing radius blocks to make a pattern for new one's. Lance made a modification on later models to reinforce areas where there was some flex above the window. So when I go back with the frameing will add the modifications.

Lance provided me with the frame blue prints but unfortunitely they refer too radius blocks as "pattern", where all of the sticks have exact diminsions.
I will use a spread sheet to calculate what size frame work that I will need.
Most of the pieces are 1X2 (3/4 X 1 1/2) and 1X3 (3/4 X 2 1/2) and I have a table saw to rip down a few pieces that are odd ball.

Let my misfortune be a lesson to other TC enthusiest. leak test your camper at least once a year

Popkorn

Ft. Collins Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/10 03:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my sympathies to you. Sounds like this is one of those projects that just keep getting bigger and nastier and expensive as you go along. I'm going through a similar job on my Bigfoot - running wires for solar, bigger battery box, inverter. automatic transfer switch and circuit box. Almost wish I hadn't started.

Jerry Crawford

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Mike Tassinari

Peabody Mass..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/10 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Lance88lover,,,

I know what you are going through as i had the same problem.
here is the RV.Net link to the work did on my T/C.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/21675952.cfm

There are more pictures on page 10

I cannot stress enough to make sure you "dry-out" any and all effected wet areas first...

Keep us informed.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2002 Ford-4x4-Extended Cab-Dually-Lariet-Powerstroke Diesel--4.10 gears--Ranchero Adjustable Shocks-55 Gallon Extended Fuel Tank--4 Extra Main Leaf Springs-1 Extra Helper Spring..Independant Second Altinator(100AMP)to Charge MY Twin 275 AH. Deep Cycle Battery Bank tucked under the truck bed....

2001 Lance-11&1/2 Ft.-Model 1121/slide/out with all the Toys&2000 Watt Inverter

88lover

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/10 07:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replys. Today I started building the front frame. Since the subassembly is 93", it is a little difficult to clamp while glueing. Back to Home Depot to get some 3" decking screws. I am fortunite to also have a pole barn that I have set up some saw horses and a sheet of 4 X 8 ply for a work table and have set up my table saw, Chop Saw, and air compressor nearby.
I don't have enough clamps, so anybody attempting this repair should realize that when setting up their tools list. Also for getting up to the top seam on the camper, the tailgate of the truck is much easier to work from than a ladder.

I will get the camera hooked up to show some of the progress. It is slow

fast.5

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/10 07:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi: Is the floor damaged under the mattress?
Mike

2004 FORD F350 Supercrew 4x4 V10 Airlift incab controls 42" titan extension.
2007 LANCE 1131 Loaded, Air,Dicor,all weather packages Awning&Slide awning,2500lp Onan camp power,back up camera,dish
Fast.5 Reno Page http://community.webshots.com/user/fast5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Front end tear down.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS