|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Colorado to Grand Canyon

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
twoplusoneequalsfive

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/10 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just booked our first trip in our new TT for the end of March/beginning of April at the south rim of the Grand Canyon for 3 nights. We are going s. on 25, then west on 40.

Any ideas of places to stop along the way? Looks like Bluewater Lake, NM or Grants is about halfway. A nice sidetrip might be Canyon de chelly? We won't have hookups at the GC so we are thinking this would be nice on the way there and back.

We have 3 full days to get there, and 2-3 days to get back so we can drive halfway and stay somewhere for 2 nights and really explore, or stop different places each night. It's hard for me to plan the best approach in advance since I have no idea how easy/hard it is to set up camp in the trailer vs. the tent we've been in. We have 3 kids so this of course will ultimately dictate how far we drive! This is going to be real trial by fire.

Thanks!

Penny

hotrod4x5

Southern Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/10 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Setting up your trailer should take no more than 30 mins once you get the hang of it, maybe an hour at first. I usually look at a map along my route and look for parks and other natural areas and then try and plan my stops based on what I see that looks interesting. Have fun!

Rodney Former Owner of: 2005 Laredo 29GS 2002 F250 V-10 Yamaha EF3000iSEB (and NOT a GS Member)

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/10 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should have a lot to see along the way. While at the Canyon or on the way to it, these are neat places to see as well. Not far from Flagstaff, Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and on the same looping hwy, Wupatki National Monument.
Sunset Crater & Wupatki and more Info Grand Canyon

Off of I-40 by Winslow, Arizona, Homolovi Ruins State PARK.

Canyon de Chelly by Chinle is great with a free campground and showers or at least I remember them having showers. Been there want to go again. Nat'l Park and Hubbell Trading Post NHS could be on the way to it.

Navajo National Monument is located at the end of State Highway 564 off of US Highway 160. We have not been to this one, but sounds very interesting. Two campgrounds, one open all year, somewhat isolated but no fees are charged. NPS Site - Visit
Navajo

Navajo NMon is on the way to Monument Valley, about 170 miles form Williams. Maybe 50 miles or so to Mon't Valley.

This was a neat place to camp and visit (have not been to in it many years), even with a museum near by all close to Gallup at Red Rock/Churchrock just off of I-40 east of town.

Blue Water Lake State Park, by Grants, west of Albu'que on I-40. Bluewater not a bad area, but more of a fishing site. But not at all bad for an overnight, even some hiking trails.

El Morro National Monument is neat to see & has a small campground; there is a private campgound near by as well. Near Grants or can be reached from Gallup. We went from Gallup to Zuni Pueblo then to El Morro (we lingered too long at the Pueblo and didn't get to hike the trial at El Morro, got there too late in the day; its a neat trail too, we had hiked it before). Of course one could go to it from Grants as well.
El Morro
Things to Do

It has a very small campground, but there is a private campground near by. Campground and RV Park The El Malpais Nat'l Conservation Area is also near featuring Grants Lava Flows.

Albuquerque has many neat and cool things to see there. As does Santa Fe both on I-25.

And between Grants and Albuquerque there is Acoma Publo which does have Tours. We have never stopped, however.

Bandelier National Monument would be a nice place to visit near Los Alamos and not far from Santa Fe. It was a pleasent campground when we stayed there. Bandelier
Campground

Santa Fe Camping *** Bernalillo City Campground North of Alb'que *** Storrie Lake State Park - Las Vegas

By Raton, Sugarite Canyon State Park and between Raton and Las Vegas, Fort Union Nat'l Monument, and out from Raton, Capulin Volcano Nat'l Mon't.
Sugarite Canyon
Capulin Volcano Nat'l Mon't

* This post was last edited 07/31/10 11:00pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Colorado to Grand Canyon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.