|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Grand canyon trip planning

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rodtermaat

Lincoln

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/10 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son and I plan to travel to the Grand Canyon in early June. This is from Lincoln, NE. We plan to stay on the North Rim for a few days and visit cool places on the way there and back. All of the software has us on I80 to CO, and I70 into Utah, and I191 south to Arizona. This is all interstate and sound boring. Any suggestions from those with more experience? What are some resources to find places to camp? I am not asking for someone to do the work for me, but a few pointers would be appreciated. Thanks, rod

2008 F250
truck camper - not yet, but searching

* This post was edited 02/24/10 10:35pm by rodtermaat *

don't start off with an small truck - go big...

Bruce3404

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/10 10:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan to stay in the park, go online to the National Park Service website and make your reservations NOW (it may be too late). For CGs outside the park, a Google search will yield the other possibilities. As far as routing goes, I guess that depends on the amount of time you have. As you head down 191 in UT, don't miss Arches and Canyonlands NPs.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/10 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another possible route would be to do I-80, then take I-76 to Denver, then I-70 to Utah to US 89 then south to AZ. After your visit to GrandCanyon, follow US 89 on south to US 160 (to Monument Valley, etc) & on to Cortez, CO (Mesa Verde) to Durango & on to I-25. I-25 back to I-70 via US 24 at Colorado Springs; I-70 to US 83 north to North Platt (I-80) or use US 283 north to I-80.

There should be lots to see between NE & Grand Canyon for sure. Bryce and Zion are not far from the North Unit, Moab might be on your way there as well, Monument Valley not too far away. Maybe you can plan a route using some of the info in my files. North side of the Canyon which is less crowded than the South, we had to stay at a forest service camping area, campground was full in the park. Not a bad place and not far to the canyon.

From my files: Utah & Grand Canyon North and ** Southern Utah with Bryce and Zion plus many other sites out there.

Also not far from Moab, Colorado Nat'l Monument is really neat, with a campgound which is by Grand Junction off I-70.

Also closer to Denver off I-70, I believe Georgetown has a Train Ride, my daughter & her husband rode it, seemed to have enjoyed it.

We did go up CO 82 (I-70, Exit 116 - Glenwood Springs) to Aspen one summer, just to see how the Billionaires live.
Forest Service Campground near Aspen: Campground
Aspen the town where the Billionaires are buying out the Millionaires. Aspen
Independence Pass
Independence

In August 2007, we did a small family gathering above Colorado Springs off I-25. We enjoyed our trip to Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs area. We camped at South Meadows Campground of the Pike's Nat'l Forest just outside of Woodland Park a few miles. It was a very nice site, the Camp Hosts keep the place spotless. Drawbacks were the pit toilets but they were new and kept clean and no dump site exect down the road off a dirt road with a fee of $10. The $15 camping fee was nice. There are two other campgrounds in the area as well, also several private RV parks. We enjoyed Manitou Springs, Garden of the Gods, the Cheyenne Mt. Zoo and visiting with our son and his family. They also went to Cripple Creek and did the cog train ride to Pike's Peak and a day fishing. It was a neat area with even more things to see and do.

At North Platte, there is the Buffalo Bill State Historical Park and Scout's Rest Ranch. I saw a campground as we drove by the area on US 83, by the river. I believe it is a part of the state park. ???

We spend a few days at Cherry Creek State Park when we explored some of Denver's Attractions. We went to the Art Museum, the captial building, a down town area for only walking and a trolly Ped Mall, etc.

Added Edit: I finally found the "I191" route you mentioned. US 191 which goes by Moab. There would be routes off of it to see many of the Utah sites and some Azronia as well depending on which ones you take. The Colorado River and canyons sepertate many of them and it takes some driving time to get to one side to the other. I have heard Utah 12 Hwy has some very neat scenery and vistas off of it. I believe one could work out a route from US 191 to see Capital Reef Nat'l Park as well as Bridges Nat'l Monument. Using UT 95 from Blanding, UT & then Utah State Highway 24 at Hanksville will get you over by US 12 near Torrey, east of Fruita/Capital Reef. It would be a meandering route, but you would see alot of country. Depends on amount of time you have and amount of fuel you want to expend.

Perhaps some of these posts will help in finding camping sites as well as boondocking, etc:
Auxilary FreshWater Tank, Transfering Water & Solar ** Ways of Transfering Water ** Batteries Charged

Overnighting Reststops etc. ** Free & Low Cost Campgrounds ** RV Park Reviews

** Southern Utah

Have a good trip!

* This post was last edited 02/25/10 05:13pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 12:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rodtermaat , Don't worry about getting in park campsite at the north rim. For there is plenty of room in the next door Kaibab Forest, we payed a visited last Sept/Oct to this area. Forest Road22 is 4 miles outside of the main entrance of the North Rim.
[image]
Once at FR22 and FR462 you can head anywhere for camping,we found a long unused spot down FR766
[image]
You can use the dumps in the North Rim even if you don't camp there. A different place along the north rim is the Tweep/Toroweap area
This is a rustic area with no rail between you and the Grand Canyon.
[image]
This place sports one split level campground that has on site vaulted toilet,table and fire pit at each site(1st come 1st severed)
Our 1st site
[image]
Our 2nd site
[image]
Tuweep/Toroweap can be reached from 3 possible route:
Fredonia,AZ along Hwy 389 to CR109 and head south for 1 miles of graded dirt road.We exited Tuweep this way.
Colorado City,Az, take CR5 til you intersect CR109 to Tuweep,this is about 60 miles of traveling
St.George,Ut,this is the route we took in to Tuweep/Toroweep,this route take you through Mt. Trumbull area and along the way is Mt. Thrumbull School, a histortical stie.
[image]
[image]
There's a lot of stuff to see in the Moab area,Moab BLM Campgrounds,Scenic Byway Hwy12,we been this way as well.For more photos of these two areas go to my Travelingman2 site and if I can help out further just PM me or post a question here.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crossing that country is "boring" no matter which route.
bumpy

rodtermaat

Lincoln

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome, thanks. This will help a ton.

TwoMaineiacs

Near Freeport, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rodtermaat - Look at the top of the message list here in the Truck Camper section and go through the trip reports files. So many people have posted great places to see, camp and visit it would take years to follow their tracks. We use it often as a base to plan trips.

2011 Chalet Double Slide on a 2013 F-450 Diesel DRW
On the Road Again from Rural Maine
Our travel blog with photos

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/10 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some pictures from our 2009 trip report... nothing boring I hope. click here

We were traveling from south to north... after the north rim... Bryce Canyon, then Zion and further west.

Make sure that you check for opening day... it may be later in the year than you think... they get a lot of snow at the 9000 feet elevation.

Don't worry about campgrounds... free dispersed boondocking everywhere. You'll see where we stayed in the woods near jacobs Lake. Others with truck campers do the same (we even saw a MH and a tent in the woods at Jacobs Lake).

One full day is all that you need at the north rim... you see everything from "Bright Angle Point"

I did use the dump station at the fully reserved, partially filled campground at the north rim.

I hope that this helps... if you ask a question that i don't answer do the PM (private message) button... it will trigger my email... or just email me. I hope to be traveling myself.

Have fun

Sleepy

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

pjay9

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF you can do the train to the canyon, it is worth the time and cost. That is if you get on that side of course...include Bryce and Zion marvelous places to see. Capt PJ

2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/10 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

c.traveler2 wrote:

Our 1st site
[image]

Congratulation's on driving a hardside camper to Toroweap. Only the 2nd one I know of. Spectacular area.
[image]
Mine's a popup, obviously.

Cal

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Grand canyon trip planning
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.