|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> going to NM need some help

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
ebshore

Md eastern shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/10 07:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planing on going to Carlsbad in about two weeks,looking for things to visit. What are some of the good campgrounds, is the weather bad at that time of year and are there any other things we should know. Thanks for any info.

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/10 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tell us what basic route you are taking and what kind of things are of interest to you.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

ebshore

Md eastern shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/10 08:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be coming into Texas on Route 20, plan on spend a little time in Fort Worth. Have been to this part of Texas before. Found much to do. Enjoy rodeos, Texas food & country anything. Have not been to El Paso area. Did Big Bend, hill country, San Antonio & a bit of Houston. That was not this time of year.Carlsbad was recommended for an area of interest. Want to head up to Monument Valley area but the weather may be an issue? Any info will be appreciated.

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/10 08:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anticipated weather for March 12:

Carlsbad: High of 74, wind SW 11 mph, cloudy

Albuquerque: Hi of 55, rain, wind SW at 5 mph

Cortez, CO: Hi of 48, snow / rain; Low 33, wind SW 9 mph

Looks like the farther you head NW, the less favorable the weather will be. But at least you will be on the road. Have fun.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

targaboat

sulphur springs, tx, usa

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/10 09:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are starting in Fort Worth and then to El Paso your two weeks are at an end. In between there is Waco, San Antonio, the hill country, and Big Bend Park along with lots of other sites. This year the weather sucks in NM. It would be better, not perfect, but better in south Texas. Next year go directly to Carlsbad and go from there.

Fly Boy

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/10 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Las Cruces Weather like the whole country has been a little colder than normal, not as fridged as it has back east. Now, let me see what I can find in my files. Normally we would have had 70 degree days but have not done so yet, some upper 60s, yes.

By Fort Worth area, Lake Mineral Wells State Park is on my to do list.

There is an interesting State Park, Balmorhea, just off I-10 to the east of the junction of I-20 & I-10 about 30 miles. Balmorhea State Park is located in the foothills of the Davis Mountains southwest of Balmorhea and nearby Davis Mountains State Park (along with the famous Big Bend Nat'l Park) are very nice places and one could spend a long time at each. Been to all except Davis, but it is nice areas, be sure to visit the old Fort Davis a nice place to see. Balmorhea
Big Bend Park maybe not great for a summer trip, but very neat in the fall, winter and spring.

Monahans Sandhills State Park is about a half-hour's drive west of Odessa on I-20 close to the meeting of I-10. A neat place, it seems, but I have never stopped. Sandhills

Going to Carlsbad to see the Caverns is a neat thing. Sitting Bull Falls is really neat with a small cave behind the falls with formations. Also the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens State Park Zoo is neat. Beside the main tour of the Caverns, we liked the Slaughter Canyon Cave Tour. Ranger-guided tours of Slaughter Canyon Cave take you into an underground wilderness without electricity, paved walkways, or modern conveniences. In this wild cave, darkness is broken only by the flashlights and headlamps of rangers and tour members. I believe I would stay at Brantley State Park to base to see the area by Carlsbad. Or if you are near the Guadalupe Mountains Nat'l Park:
Pine Springs Campground (Elevation 5,822')Located just off U.S. Highway 62/180 near the Headquarters Visitor Center, Pine Springs is a simple, desert camping area situated at the base of the mountain.

If wanting to see the White Sands Nat'l Park, it is neat, but does not take tooo long to see it, and no RV camping at it. The closest Campground would be the FamCamp at Holloman Air Force Base. But you need to have some kind of Milatary ID to get to use it or have someone sponsor you. Authorized Users: Active, National Guard, Reservists, Retired, 100% DAV. DoD/NAF Civilians. Off US 70 If you fit any of the slots on the user list, it is close, but not the best in scenery.

Oliver Lee State Park may be a little farther from White Sands Nat'l Monument than some of the private parks, but I believe I'd pick it. White Sands had this on their site, "The closest public campgrounds are Oliver Lee State Park, about 24 miles southeast, and Aguirre Springs Recreation Area, about 39 miles southwest." Aguirre Springs They do have a hike to camp site at the Monument, Camping in the Sands.

Not too far a drive and a very nice place is Valley of Fires Recreation Area & BLM Campground. I believe I like it better than Oliver Lee State Park. It has been revamped recently, it seemed when we stopped there last year. Very neat area with the Lava Field, nice sites, new shower building. AAA had it under rated in last years Camping Guide. Fires
Camping
If you are near it on your way to or from, it would be neat.

The Three Rivers Petroglyph Site is between Alamo & Valley of Fires. Petroglyphs

Alamogordo Things:
NM Space Museum
White Sands
Alameda Park and Zoo
Toy Train Museum and Train Ride
List of Campgrounds

As for Cloudcroft, it has been getting a lot of snowed up there this year. No camping up there, except maybe some private places. The hwy should not be a problem, to drive through the area. Cloudcroft is a really neat area. But it is not a fast drive down to Alamogordo, due to steep & winding road. Alamogordo is near White Sands Nat'l Monument as well as White Sands Missile Range. Cloudcroft is very near Sunspot as well. Visitors Welcome.

But there are other routes with many sites to see from Carlsbad as well. If going from Carlsbad as if to go to Cloudcroft, do not turn at Artesia, go to Roswell & take US 380 follow it to Carrizozo, you will be passing Billy the Kid Country & Lincoln (off the route some but connected to the Lincoln County War Fort Stanton) & Smokey Bear in Capitan, & the neat Valley of Fire BLM Campground. Then take US 54 to Alamogrodo if you want to see the White Sands.

West of Las Cruces:
City of Rocks State Park City is off I-10 from Deming, NM about 30 miles, but it would be a nice overnight area as well as a place to see and do.

Rockhound not a pretty site but if into rockhounding a neat place by Deming. But the Spring Canyon Recreation Area, a day-use area located across the valley in the foothills of the Florida Mountains and includes picnic sites and hiking trails, is very nice/scenic. Rockhound

Before Deming on I-10, Las Cruces Photo Tour.

Mesilla is near by as is Stahmann Farms and other pecan growers and Fort Selden State Monument and not too far is Cloudcroft and Alamogordo. Cloudcroft is near White Sands Nat'l Monument as well as White Sands Missile Range. Cloudcroft is very near Sunspot as well. Visitors Welcome.

For some good chile dishes: Here are some nice places to get Southern New Mexico Mexican Style Food in Las Cruces. Enchiladas are often flat New Mexico style, not rolled, but not always. I ask for whole beans, so much better if they have them than re-fried. Salsa can be really great, not so good...depending on the kick & the taste.

El Sombrero Patio Cafe El Sombrero
(575) 524-9911
363 S Espina St, Las Cruces, NM
very good maybe #1 for us
No problem with service
Good Salsa, great whole beans
not open on Sunday
Espina is just past a bowling alley both on the right. A long block past.

Nopalito Restaurant Nopalito
575-524-0003
310 S. Mesquite St.
Las Cruces, NM 88001
second to El Sombrero
Mesquite crosses Amador and Lohman
From the West: Turn Left off Lohman, From the East: Right off Amador, Mesquite is 4 or 5 Blocks past Espina &
El Sombrero.
Not open on Wednesdays.
Great Salsa, but no whole beans. Re-fires are good.

Nellie's Cafe Nellies
(575) 524-9982
1226 W Hadley Ave, Las Cruces, NM
many in town really like this one
it can be very hot as well
only breakfast & lunch

Si Senor Restaurant Si Senor
(575) 527-0817
1551 E Amador Ave, Las Cruces, NM
A chain but good food, mild to hot chile
It will be before you get to Solano a large intersection.
West: Left off Lohman just pass Solano
with the plates, you get sopias included
They now have a Si Senor Express at the corner of Lohman & Solano across from the Carl's Jr. as well.

Roberto's Mexican Food Roberto's **** Roberto's
(575) 523-1851
908 E Amador Ave, Las Cruces, NM
Can be very hot
Not open on Sunday
This is across the street and down a bit from El Sombrero Patio Cafe.
Roberto is the man who makes the largest enchalata in the world @ The Whole Enchilada Fiesta Whole.... Festival

All of these (Except Nellie's) are on or just off E Amador Ave and if you are getting off I-25 at (exit 3) Lohman Ave, Lohman Ave turns into E. Amador Ave as one travels west as it becomes a one way street. And traveling from the west, use exit 139 on I-10, Amador will turn into Lohman once it becomes a one way street.

If you are looking for things from New Mexico, plus things Mexico & South America, just to the west of Las Cruces is Historic Old Mesilla. If you are looking for Indian jewelry or other crafts, Mesilla may have better buys than up north, mostly the same stuff. Mesilla Exit 140, I-10.

Mesilla has a couple of restaurants, the Double Eagle ( Double-Eagle ) and La Posta ( La Posta ), both with more atmosphere than the ones I listed above. Not sure if the food is any better. Mesilla & Mesilla.com

Ghosts of Mesilla: Ghosts and Haunts
I had many high school students who working as bus-boys, etc claimed encounters with them there as well as a fellow teacher who told of working on sets at the Fountain Theater late at night. When the lights would all keep going off, a Hispanic member of the cast cursed the spirit out in Spanish and afterwards the lights did not turn off again. [emoticon]

As for El Paso, not a whole lot to do there, IMHO. Some museums of course, a tram ride, but not too good a time to go to Mexico with their problems over there. El Paso & Mexico - Plus For some reason, 18 wheelers have been wanting to flip over there in the past year or so a lot it seems to me. IMHO of course.

Not sure about Mon't Valley weather wise, but Perhaps you can find something in these to help:
Composite WestTX, NM, SouthAZ ** Tucson
Santa Fe's Attractions ** Albuquerque

Going from Ft Worth to Waco, San Antonio & Hill Country would be a huge loop out of the way to get to El Paso.

More about Routes, Sites - some a rehash but maybe something new as well.

If you want to spend time in El Paso, this may help: El Paso RV Parks

One can overnight in Las Cruces, NM using Wal-Mart, just of I-10 exit 140. Also RV parks at same exit. Hacienda RV Resort and the Siesta RV Park.

But there is a neat State Park about 16 miles north of Las Cruces as well. Leasburg Dam State Park near Las Cruces, nice desert camping above the Rio Grande if needing a different place to stay in the area. Fort Selden State Monument is just next door as well. Fort Selden History.

* This post was last edited 02/27/10 12:33am by DesertHawk *   View edit history

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

rayrbrooks

Blair, OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/10 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DesertHawk,
Thanks a bunch for the information. We are coming into Carlsbad the end of March from the Phoenix area. I was going to ask for some info, but you gave me more then I can handle.
Thanks

2012 F250 Lariat Diesel
2012 Keystone Alpine 3600
Ray, Kay, and Reba. Reba is a 2yr old Australian Shepard that is learning about traveling in an RV

wa0mqe

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/10 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the same thing you want to do last spring. Stay at Brantley State Park a few miles north of Carlsbad. It's reasonably priced and a nice park.

Bob Bowers
2006 Monaco Camelot PDQ 400ISL Cummins
Colorado Springs, CO

Wally PW

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/10 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My goodness, Desert Hawk, you are such a wealth of information. You spent a lot of time collecting/presenting information. I'm in Albuquerque and I didn't know half of what you said. You've given us lots of choices to look at when the snow clears.

Thanks.

Us: Frank and Betty, plus our Australian Shepherd, Thyme.
Rig: 2008 Itasca Latitude DP 37G (Cummins 6.7L/340HP, Allison 2500 trans)
Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/Brake Buddy

I've been in all 50 states, but only these in the MH:

mwallace61

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/10 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at Pecos River RV park in Carlsbad. It wasn't the best park, but it wasn't the worst either. If in the area again, I'd stay there again. Tons to do in the area....

Mike & Karen
ForrestGump the Wonder Dog
USA

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> going to NM need some help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.