RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Who's been to Chiricahua Natl. Monument???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who's been to Chiricahua Natl. Monument???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
palmwhit

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/02/10 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning a trip to Chiricahua Natl. Monument in S.E. Arizona. Whose been there and what can you tell me? Thanks.
Regards, palmwhit

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/02/10 10:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there twice, very neat area. If you like to hike some nice trails, the Rangers had a shuttle to take people up the the top of the park road, allowing them to hike back to the bottom.

Chiricahua National Monument is by Willcox: Chiricahua NPS but if rigs are too long for the Nat'l Mon Campground, in the Coronado National Forest above it you can desperse camp for free.

This would be Forest Rd 42 or the Pinery Canyon Road which also has at least one campground along the road. * Map ** Campground *** Camping Report *** Small Campgound But diesperse site seems to be much larger area, and closer to the Nat'l Park.

Close by Chiricahua Nat'l Mon there is the neat ruins of a fort, some hiking to get to it. Fort Bowie National Historic Site is worth the 3 mile round-trip walk for the best experience of Fort Bowie National Historic Site. If you physically can not walk the trail, please contact the visitor center staff at 520-847-2500 for directions to the alternate access. Fort

Near Wilcox is The Amerind Foundation ( Amerind Art Gallery is Neat ) a ethnological, anthropological, archaeological museum and art gallery with paintings by 20th century Anglo and Native American artists. We enjoyed the art gallery and the museum. A neat out of the way, hidden site in the boulders of Texas Canyon. The Amerind is located in Cochise County, one mile south of Interstate 10, only about an hour east of Tucson, between Benson and Willcox. It is easy to find - just look for Dragoon Road exit, #318, and head south until you see mile marker 1 on one side of the road and the Amerind entrance on the other. Amerind.Org Cochise Strong Hold is in the same area, drove to it but did not camp, a nice setting. Cochise Stronghold

Not too far away is the Bisbee/Tombstone Area, the town of Bisbee itself is neat to walk around in and we enjoyed the art galleries. The Queen Mine Tour was neat, we enjoyed it. Tombstone is a very tourist trap site, if you get my meaning. The old Court House was interesting. Tombstone was the site of a lot of wild west history, but is now very commercial. Neat Tour - Queen Mine

Not too far over by Benson is Kartchner Caverns State Park - All of these could be seen by using Chiricahua Nat'l Mon't or Kartchner as a base to see both Bisbee & Tombstone in a day trip. When we went to the area last, we stayed in a hotel off I-10 in Benson and did both Bisbee & Tombstone as a day trip, then drove back to Las Cruces. It was my son-in-laws first time to see them.

Willcox has a free place to overnight Stout's Cider Mill & AZ Vistor Center

Never eaten in Bisbee, but this one sounds Up Class - Cafe Roka. But I have a hunch the Bisbee Grill would be a winner, and I bet you could get some green chile on you cheese burger there as well. If it looks like a looser, perhaps The Alley Cafe will do the trick. For some authentic Sonoran-style cuisine, Santiago's Mexican Restaurant might be the place.

Just found this from the Amerind site, Triangle T Saloon at the Triangle T Guest Ranch near Dragoon, AZ; 60 miles east of Tucson in the foothills of the Dragoon Mountains "to experience Mesquite Barbeque fine spirits and more..."

I've seen ">n-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7TSHA_en&resnu........=15368976478862062783] Salsa Fiesta Mexican Restaurant from the Burger King in Willcox, but have not eaten there.

[emoticon] Bon Appetit!

* This post was edited 03/02/10 10:26pm by DesertHawk *

">DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do, don't miss the 8 mile walk through the "Heart of Rocks". It's an easy walk and will seem to go fast because of the sights you'll see. Take a camera!! It's the best hike in the Chiricahuas. There's a Punch and Judy show daily!
[image]

dpgerson

Pacifica, CA.

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been there. Very nice. I would stay on the eastern side near the town of Portal. A few miles east of there is a wonderful RV park called Rustys. This would give you a chance to explore the Peloncillos to the east. It gives you a central location to explore lots of hiking trails, ghost towns, etc. You can drive from here over the Chiracahuas to the national mon. It's a bit of rough drive, but it takes you through the heart of the mountains,

Here's a link to a recent trip report where I went through there. Mostly Peloncillos info as I only took one short hike in the Chiricahuas:

Peloncillos

2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 02:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! It's now on my list!

Bill

55nsew

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Bisbee the Bisbee Breakfast Club is well known and some of the most awesome food in the area for breakfast and lunch

Janis E Lasky

palmwhit

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/10 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey thanks for the information. It's always nice to have some insight from those who have gone before. We are planning on staying in the park campground for a couple of nights.
So long for now.

Testudo

Germantown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/10 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be advised that many Arizona State Parks are going to be closed in 2010 due to budget constraints. In some cases, specific activities will be curtailed and maybe campgrounds might be closed. See the Arizona State Parks website for a complete schedule of closings and dates so you can plan accordingly.

In the Southern Region of the State Park system (wherein lies Chiricahua National Monument): Tombestone Courthouse, Picacho Peak, Roper Lake, San Rafael Ranch, Sonoita Creek, and Tubac Presidio ...will all be closed at some time in 2010.

Testudo & Princesse Caribou
2012 FORD F-250 6.2L 4x4 EC SB SRW
2006 FORD F-250 5.4L manual trans (Sniff! Gone but not forgotten!)
2006 OUTFITTER SUPER-Caribou 6.5

palmwhit

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/10 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey just got back from a short exploratory trip, very interesting and will return in a few weeks. We woke up to a couple of inches of snow and had to wait for the road up to Sugarloaf mtn to be opened after plowing and cinders. We'll go back to hike when it's just a little warmer. We did find a "great" little BBQ joint right before crossing the railway tracks (on the right) as you head out of Wilcox towards Chiricahua National Monument. Next trip we'll spend a few more days. By the way, you'll be glad you have a TC or a small class C as anything longer than 29' is not allowed.

* This post was last edited 03/14/10 03:15pm by palmwhit *   View edit history

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 03/14/10 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought that anything with "National" in the title was seperate from "start"

Tenn shut down all of the state parks a few years ago

Big south Fork, SMNP, The battlefields, etc stayed open,,, they were all federal.

Tenn lost a lot of good park staff... they found other Jobs in the year that the parks were closed.

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Who's been to Chiricahua Natl. Monument???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.