Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: keystone cougar fifth wheels

Posted By: rtaylor0830 on 03/11/10 08:36am

i am thinking of getting a keystone cougar fifth wheel in about the 32foot range with a loft or bunk option. i am trying to get some reveiws on the cougar name good or bad thanks

Posted By: SuperdutyII on 03/11/10 08:39am

Search on Keystone and beleive 1/3 of what you read.

Posted By: Blaster Man on 03/11/10 09:24am

Go to the Keystone web site (www.keystonerv.com). It lists the trailers in order of quality.

2014 American Eagle

Posted By: SH on 03/11/10 09:28am

Many happy Cougar owners! We nearly ended up with one of the new 326MKS models a few months ago. We ended up with a Heartland Big Country primarily because local dealers would not budge on the Cougar price and we could get the Heartland for nearly the same amount from a wholesaler.

Pick the floorplan for your needs and go from there! Many brands to choose from. I think the Cougar is a decent rig!

Best Wishes!

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ">

Posted By: 45Ricochet on 03/11/10 11:05am

Our last RV was a Cougar and did us well, no problems.

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Posted By: 93mastercraft on 03/11/10 11:28am

Same here. My last 5ver was a Cougar 309EFS. I upgraded the wheels & tires on it to 16". Search my posts. I had some problems with it, but the problems were really more with the dealer than the Cougar! At any rate I traded it on a Raptor. I wanted a TH to carry my motorcycle with me on trips. But I hate I got rid of the Cougar at this point. I wish I kept it. The dealer I traded it to had it sold the day I traded it.

2014.5 Thor Palazzo 35.1
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar with road master base plate
Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer
TPMS with toad and MH transmitters

Posted By: skeeter24 on 03/11/10 02:14pm

Bought a 2010 293SAB last October. We love it. The only issue I had was the same that many have had. The heat was not getting to the front bedroom. I looked and the water lines had it kind of pinched off. Re-routed those and it really didn't help. Dealer said it was a known problem and installed a blower to help push the heated air to the front. Now there is only 4 degrees difference in the front and back of my camper.

Posted By: WindsorJ on 03/11/10 03:52pm

Keystone Cougar -- Love it!

Posted By: F4whlr on 03/11/10 05:39pm

same here '09 Cougar 318SAB LOVE IT ! had no problems at all (will be a year this Mar 13 owned it.

F4whlr
2009 Keystone Cougar 318SAB
2004 Chev Silverado 2500HD 8.1/Allison/4.10
Prodigy B/C
K&N F/I air intake

Posted By: stroker05 on 03/11/10 06:53pm

* This post was edited 03/13/10 09:15pm by stroker05 *

Posted By: Biggziff on 03/11/10 06:56pm

Blaster Man wrote:

Go to the Keystone web site (www.keystonerv.com). It lists the trailers in order of quality.

huh? The Keystone folks would not agree with that statement.

Keystone makes as good a product as any other in the price range. They're all built fast and cheap no matter what brand you choose, but Keystone sells more than many of the others put together...there must be a reason for that. We had a 2007 Keystone Springdale that we had zero problems with in 4 years and about 12,000 miles. I can only hope our 2010 Cougar will be as good.

Best wishes to you in your search...See Mike Boerum at Beckleys RV in Thurmont, MD for the best deal you'll find in the US on any Keystone product. PM me for details if you'd like.

Me and my 3 girls
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2011 F350 CC SWB 6.7

Posted By: wingsfan20 on 03/11/10 07:30pm

The Cougar in the sig has been good for us. We had a few issues at first but were all resolved by the dealer. We had couple of other issues after a year and the dealer fixed those too. By the way the dealer is Kitzmiller RV, in Mason Michigan. We spend 3-4 months snowbirding in the winter; more than enough room for the two of us.

Jim ">
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

Posted By: bobandvicki on 03/11/10 10:57pm

Bought our 3rd Cougar 5th wheel last April and couldn't be more pleased - 2009 Cougar 318SAB - pm if you have any questions - Bob

2015 3500 RAM Diesel Longbed 4x4 Dually

2015 39ft Heartland Big Country 3650 5th Wheel

Posted By: gnarlykaw on 03/12/10 03:52am

Just bought a 318SAB, and love it! Turns out that any problems we have had, have been this old fossil being set in his ways!
second 5ver for us, and MUCH better quality!

Posted By: danda on 03/12/10 03:23pm

We have a 2008 Cougar 291RSL. I would recommend the mid kitchen as you will not experience as much bouncing around in the kitchen while towing. With the rear kitchen, you may have to rearrange all the cabinets every time you move. We have had zero problems with our 5iver. Since there is just two of us, I remounted the dining room table so it is now facing the long way, rather than sticking out into the kitchen area. This allows for two to sit facing the window with more room. Its much more comfortable than trying to wiggle yourself into the chair when its butted up against the wall in the original floor plan. I also added a catalitic heater, similar to the Buddy heaters sold by Cabela's. I put the propane bottle in the storage area and run an approved flexible hose through the stairs and into the kitchen. Its great for dry camping as you will not run your batteries down.
One final improvement is to add wooden stoppers on all the large drawers. The hardware for the drawers are pretty much******and tend to fall out of the rails. Its a bugger getting them back in. So, I added wooden stops to the drawers to keep them from falling out. If you need any other information, you can email me at: denandannie@frontiernet.net.
Good luck

Posted By: Strawfoot on 03/12/10 07:46pm

rtaylor, We have a 2007 Cougar that we enjoy. I have had more than a few problems but I think the worst is behind us.

- Lots of staples sticking up out of the carpet
- Drawer bracing came loose. Cheap staples pulled out.
- Toilet leaked
- Bathroom sink leaked
- Small rear window leaked during rain storm
- Wiring problems. Wiring was run under slide-out and got rubbed against tires, wearing through wires and shorting out lights.
- Vent cover on roof flew off second time out
- Many cupboard hinges came loose a lot. Screws were stripped
- Blinds bind up and a string broke.
- Bedroom sink faucet was cheap plastic and cracked and leaked.
- Awning strap blows against the camper when windy. Somewhat anoying.
- Several screws holding plastic fender flares on, fell off during drive home from dealer.
- Push-out style window in bedroom has come open during transport. It flaps around a bit but didn't do any damage.
- Plastic wall cover in shower is slightly warped along the bottom, which allows water to splash under it and spread into the wall cavity.
- Screen door sags and rubs/sticks.

I'm guessing many brands will have a lot of these issues. The wiring was the most discouraging. It was placed in a bad location and was destined to fail. Most everything else I caught before it got costly. The cost of repairing the toilet leak was enough that we decided to just upgrade to a high-rise high quality toilet with a sprayer attachment. My current worry is that the rubber roof seems to have wrinkles and is loose in a few spots.

But I still like it, warts and all.

2007 Keystone Cougar 244RLS
520 watts solar, 790 amp-hr @ 12v, 2000 watt Magnum, Winegard Slimline HD, 32" LCD, Onkyo 7-channel surround + sub-woofer, JT Strongarms, 16" HiSpec Wheels, BFG Commercial T/A's, Yamaha EF3000iSEB (propane), Thule T2 Bike Rack

Posted By: westislander on 04/06/10 09:04pm

We have had our very reliable Cougar 276 RLS fifth wheel for four years (since new) and it's had a lot of use - 3 or 4 months each year and many thousands of miles. Last summer we took it through B.C., up into the Yukon and Alaska. We think it's very good value for the money, not too heavy (we tow with a 1 ton diesel Chev) and it's very comfortable for the type of camping that we do: not parked much - lots of traveling - mostly summertime.

There are certainly bigger, heavier, fancier(do you need granite counters in a huge kitchen when you enjoy cooking outdoors?) and much more expensive trailers out there but they wouldn't work as well for us. Many we looked at were either too long to get into some of our favorite boon-docking sites or too heavy to tow easily (or inexpensively) with all our gear, up long 15% grades. Some were much more expensive without much apparent improvement in quality or features. Some were the same money but provided much less.

Choose a trailer model that suits your camping style and make sure to get the right truck to tow it. Keep up with the required maintenance on both. After four years we still love our Cougar / Chevy rig and would likely buy a similar one again (the newer Cougar models now have several nice upgrades included!)

Posted By: ib516 on 04/08/10 12:15pm

Comon guys, poor quality everything is the RV industry's dirty little secret. All RVs are built like garbage. If an RV was a car, a Yugo would beat it in JD Power quality surveys.

Having said that, I have had 2 Keystone Cougars, they seem to be about average, but I like their floorplans.

Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
All above are sold
Current: 07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z

Posted By: ellie0149 on 04/08/10 09:41pm

We have a 2007 Cougar 292 RKS and it has been great. We fulltime in ours and yes we had a few gliches at first but they were taken care of under warranty. Love my rear kitchen more counter room (and so far no broken dishes) you just have to watch how your contents are stored.I keep looking at that new 318 but hubby says not now lol..[emoticon]

2007 Cougar 292 RKS
2001 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4x4

Posted By: Biggziff on 04/09/10 06:58am

ib516 wrote:

Comon guys, poor quality everything is the RV industry's dirty little secret. All RVs are built like garbage. If an RV was a car, a Yugo would beat it in JD Power quality surveys.

Having said that, I have had 2 Keystone Cougars, they seem to be about average, but I like their floorplans.

True to some degree. They build them as cheap as they can get away with. I've got my new 293 half torn apart in search of problems, but other than using staples to attach panels that should have been screwed in, I'm pretty surprised that things really look OK so far. A little wiring to tidy up, re-route some ducting and my wish that they had used a drop frame to increase the front storage, but not as bad as I thought it may have been.

Posted By: westislander on 04/09/10 09:08am

ib516 wrote:

Come on guys, poor quality everything is the RV industry's dirty little secret. All RVs are built like garbage. If an RV was a car, a Yugo would beat it in JD Power quality surveys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My take on that: we've been conditioned by WalMart - we want Bimmer quality but at a made-in-China price. That's no secret. We long-ago settled the discussion on quality in favor of "garbage?" by the way we've chosen to spend our cash.

I have settled for "fairly good" with minor flaws because I will never pay the price for "perfect". Go Cougar!

* This post was edited 04/09/10 09:20am by westislander *

Posted By: DickandVicki on 04/10/10 06:45pm

I agree with a earlier post; we also have a '07 Cougar 292 RKS, and we also like the rear kitchen. We've pullled this rig and a previous rear kitchen 5ver across the states and back, with absolutely no problems. We've had a few minor glitches that were solved with a little patience and perseverance. The only "major" problem we had was the living room slide motor bit the dust recently, but I was able (with the help of some friends on this website) to find the problem, and then fix itmyself. We are satisfied with this Cougar, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another one in the future. Good luck!

We were just plain tired - now we are re-tired!
We love the Lord, love each other, and love life!
We are blessed beyond our wildest dreams!
Living the good life in Williston, FL.

Posted By: snowyowl.13 on 04/11/10 06:03am

We are planning to change 5ers later this Spring. We are considering going FT or at least 3/4 time. We will be buying a truck capable of handling whichever 5er we choose. We have narrowed the short list down to a Cougar 327RES or a Cedar Creek 36RE. The Cougar has a lot of advantages including being smaller, lighter and cheaper. The Cedar Creek, however, seems to be much better quality and I think would be a much better choice for comfort and convenience. The kitchen and bedroom layouts are much better in the Cedar Creek. There is about 900 lbs difference in hitch weight. Easier towing vs great comfort? Tough to decide.

Dan
Prince Edward Island
http://snowyowl.smugmug.com/nature
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE Touring Edition
2011 Ford 6.7 Diesel 1 Ton Dually

Posted By: Biggziff on 04/11/10 10:20am

snowyowl.13 wrote:

We are planning to change 5ers later this Spring. We are considering going FT or at least 3/4 time. We will be buying a truck capable of handling whichever 5er we choose. We have narrowed the short list down to a Cougar 327RES or a Cedar Creek 36RE. The Cougar has a lot of advantages including being smaller, lighter and cheaper. The Cedar Creek, however, seems to be much better quality and I think would be a much better choice for comfort and convenience. The kitchen and bedroom layouts are much better in the Cedar Creek. There is about 900 lbs difference in hitch weight. Easier towing vs great comfort? Tough to decide.

FWIW, neither unit is designed to FT...be aware of that. Most manufacturers have a FT disclaimer, but the units that are better built will be much better choices for someone wanting to FT.

Print  |  Close