|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Last Chance Get Away of 2009,part7

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 02:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Chance Get away of 2009

Our original plan was to visit Yosmite National Park and explore the surrounding area, but due to the spreading fire we change our plans at the time. After much discussion and some Internet searching it was decided to go a couple of areas that we hadn’t ever been to and re-visit a couple of national parks we’ve been to before.

Zion Nation Park
Part6
Day One

Oct.02,2010

We rose from our slumber before the slivers of morning light could breach the crest of near by mountains in the narrow valley in which stayed. Our camper sheltered us from the nightly cold; Julie’s excellent black brew would be need by me to thaw my bones out and smooth some of the stiff joints.
[image]

I sweep away out the protection of our mobile shelter with my hot bone-warming brew with camera in my free hand to make use of the early light in a picture taking way.
[image]

Motoring through Rockville was pleasant in the cool morning with hardly a soul about. The sun was slowly crawling up the mountainside with the promise of a warmer day. We knew from yesterday that the road in was being worked on and traffic might be slow today, but there wasn’t a single construction crewmember along the roadside today.
[image]
[image]

A young deer crossing the road was a sight to see, no fear as it moved over to scratch its ear, as we rolled on by.
[image]
[image]

A flash of our National Park passes and before you know it we’re parked heading for the shuttles. We had decided on walking the Emerald Pools trail today. One of things I like about coming to Utah is how blue the sky is.
[image]

We had pass through Zion before, but this would be the first time into the inner working of nature little workshop. These shuttle are quick to get you about, for we ‘re at Zion Lodge and making our way to the trailhead.
[image]

Like with any outdoor place, sometimes one has an encounter with the local wildlife. We did move on passed this Tom turkey stopping for a morning drink and the four hens accompanying him.
[image]
[image]

Stopping on the bridge spanning the Virgin River, just taking in the view and deciding on which way to walk Emerald Pool trail. Such a hard decisions to make, we decided on the trail to the left of the bridge.
[image]
[image]

A gentle climb upward the trail did and many other hikers were out enjoying their adventure.
[image]

Even the local flowers are out greeting hikers as they passed by.
[image]
[image]
Not long up the trail we came across a group of young volunteers doing trail improvements, all work was being done by hand.
[image]

Reaching the middle pool I could see why they are named Emerald Pools, lots of algae gave it that green look.
[image]

Wanting to get some better photos of this spot I climb passed the chain barrier, you know the one with the sign on it that’s says “Don’t Cross”.
[image]
[image]
Video Middle Pool Waterfall

Moving on to the upper pool trail, this would be the most difficult trail of the three pools to hike. Some climbing over a few rocks is involved and its worth ever steps to get to the upper pool area.
[image]
[image]

By the time we arrived most of the people there were leaving. The place has a peaceful feel to it and we would enjoy this peaceful setting.
[image]
Video Upper Pool

Julie and I enjoyed a little snack while watching a squirrel run between the rocks and making a mad dash at a pile of nuts that someone had left behind.
[image]

After awhile we trek on down to the main trail heading towards the lower pool, as we hiked down more people were making the trek to the upper pool.
[image]
[image]
Sloping gently downward the trail goes leading us through a narrowing path guiding us towards the lower pool and the middle pool waterfalls.
[image]
[image]
Video Waterfalls

Following the trail around and under the overhang we got a better view of those waterfall.
[image]
Video Waterfalls 1

Walking under the overhang will sometimes get you wet, which happen to us when the wind kicked up a bit. The lower pool was more like a very slow flowing creek heading to the Virgin River.
[image]

Moving on further along this pathway, we took a last look at the waterfall and were also able to see The Great White Throne from here.
[image]
[image]

Making our way back to the trailhead, Julie stopped to have a picture taken of her and it was longer before we saw the Virgin River again.
[image]
[image]

In short order, Julie and I were on the shuttle cruising back to Zion’s visitor center. While walking back to our rig I spotted a fellow TCer, Julie and I stopped for a bit to talk to the couple from Oregon.
[image]

On the way out of Zion we stopped at the local grocery store just outside the main entrance, to our surprise it was nicely stocked and no rip off pricing. After restocking supplies and heading back to Mosquito Cove with traffic on the lite side we were back by the Virgin River set camp back up not far from our original spot. It wasn’t long before a lady came to our site and asked if we could help get their rig unstuck, for they driven off the hard pack road into a soft area and got stuck.
[image]
Video Dragging a 5th Wheel

Once that was done it was back to our chosen site , camp fire going and a beautiful sunset to watch while eating dinner.
[image]
[image]

Thanks to all for following along,tomorrow Julie and I will explore farther into Zion.

* This post was edited 05/05/10 04:44pm by c.traveler2 *

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

Klueck

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. Love those blue skies!

weymard

NORMANDY

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucolic views ! Thanks

FORD F250 LARIAT 4X4 DIESEL 2008
Lance 815 2007
France, Normandy

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 06:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having been to Zion in 2005, it was like walkind down memory lane. Emerald Pools Trail was one of only two trails I could get my family to hike. And they only hiked to the middle pool from the Grotto. Zion is near the top on my to-return list.

For others, if you have bikes, make sure you take them on the shuttle to the top and then you can coast 90% of the way back down to the visitor center.

Thanks for sharing your journey . . . now on to smugmug to see the list of the photos.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C.Traveler:

Excellent! One of our top two favorite places in the Southwest. This brings back great memories for us.

Thanks for your on-going travelogue!

Cheers,
Sand & Dunes

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well now Alex, I'll dub you the "Happy Wonderer" since that's what you are. You started out for Yosemite and ended up in Zion, 180 degree turn. That's what I call adapting to the situation. Many thanks for the trip.

shanty66

mastic n.y.

View Profile

Posted: 03/16/10 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for helping me add another great trip to my ever growing "bucket list".---LOUIE

marinemommy

Yerington, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/10 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing! We too love Zion and that whole area. Makes me want to go back again.

shirley kay

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Last Chance Get Away of 2009,part7
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.