Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Mud Dauber screen

Posted By: shbiv on 03/21/10 04:16pm

We just purchased a 2010 Zinger 29DS a few weeks back and I want to get a mud dauber screen for the outside furnace fitting. Based upon my documentation I have the 8500 series hydro flame furnace, but the outside fitting does not seem be be the standard fitting I have seen online.

Any ideas for one that would fit?

Here is a picture of my TT and a picture of what should fit it. It does not seem correct.

[image]

[image]

Thanks.

2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab, HEMI, 4.56 gears ">
2010 Saab 9-5 Aero XWD
2012 Mazda CX9 Grand Touring AWD
2010 Crossroads Zinger 29DS

Posted By: W_A_Watson_II on 03/21/10 04:18pm

Should there also be screens for the Hot Water heater and refrigerator panels?

2006 Dodge MegaCab 3500 DRW Cummins Powered with a B&W Companion and Turn Over Ball Hitches
2010 Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback - 29RE

Posted By: shbiv on 03/21/10 04:30pm

Yes they do and I plan on getting those, but am having a hard time with the fitting for the furnace.

Posted By: 2cknights on 03/21/10 04:49pm

I just use old fiberglass screening. For the furnace vent, I wad it up and push it in a little ways to keep it from falling out. I open the water heater door and put a piece cut to size behind it as well as the refridgerator vent. I remove all of them before going camping. My camper is stored inside so I don't have to worry about the wind blowing them out of position. This might work for you. -Carey

'03 Ford F-350 7.3 LB SRW. Ride Rites.
Old rig '99 Lance 1130
New rig 2017 Jayflight 31QBDS
2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

Posted By: BarneyS on 03/21/10 04:57pm

Looks like this may be the one you need.

If not, here are others.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Posted By: Wiscampsin on 03/21/10 05:23pm

I hot glued a piece of fiberglass screen to the inside of the rear bumper cap square holes to keep anything from getting in there too.

Posted By: Merrykalia on 03/21/10 07:57pm

I got a JC Whitney catalog yesterday and happened to see them. The one for the Hydroflame furnace is Stk. No. GBB302961F and costs $18.99. 1-800-603-3898 or
www.jcwhitney.com.

I just happened to notice that it was larger and looked about the size of a sink strainer.

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Posted By: planter8 on 03/21/10 08:31pm

That is EXACTLY what is on my Sunset Trail! I have not been able to find one either. I will be watching this thread carefully.

Planter8
2014 Keystone Avalanche 361TG
Ford F150 3.5l Ecoboost

Posted By: planter8 on 03/21/10 08:31pm

Thanks to all who are replying

Posted By: shbiv on 04/10/11 03:54pm

Well all is good with the Zinger. We are going into our 2nd year and I have not been able to find the correct screen yet for the furnace. The wasps are swarming and are trying to get into the darn furnance. I have my refrigerator (3) vents covered along with the water heater screen. The M800 just covers up the circular part and the wasps were able to get in around the square part. Any ideas - It is a hydroflame 8500 but none of the screens fit. Seems like Crossroads did something different with this one.

If someone has created their own, I would appreciate it if you could tell me what you purchased to create it. See the photo below to see what I am trying to work.

[image]

Posted By: anaro on 04/10/11 05:47pm

Did you try asking about this on the crossroads forum? They might be able to give you some help there.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

Posted By: shbiv on 04/10/11 06:59pm

Yes, I also posted on that form. Thanks.

Posted By: StuartW on 03/21/10 09:30pm

As Barney said above, it looks like you need the model M800 - try RVWholesalers.com :

Mud Dauber Screen For Hydro-Flame Furnace

This is what I just installed on my rig (along with the companion parts for my water heater and refrigerator).

Safe travels ...

StuartW
2004.5 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie
CTD HO 4x4 SRW LWB QC / Leer 100XQ cap
2005 HR Savoy SL 26RKS

Posted By: vanman250 on 04/13/10 07:33am

I couldn't find one that fit but I was at Lowes and found a round metal screen for a drain in the fixture repair aisle. It's one that you would lay over the drain in your sink. I tried it on my Jayco furnace the someone as yours and it fits perfect. The hard edge of the screen fit under the 4 screws to secure it in place. It looks like it was made for it. The best part it was $3.00.

vanman250

Posted By: BarneyS on 04/13/10 08:15am

Vanman250,
Please be careful using that screen. It may or may not be more tightly woven screening which can cause the furnace to overheat, not work correctly, or even allow fumes to back up into the trailer. If it were me, I would either not use a screen or get one made for the purpose rather than use a substitute like that.
Barney

Posted By: 2inAlabama on 04/13/10 09:20am

I used metal window screen on the furnace exhaust and the fridge cover. It works fine and the price is right - cheap!

How can fiberglass survive the heat at the furnace exhaust?

Just DH & DW
'01 Foretravel U320 42 ft ISM450

Posted By: WHS on 04/13/10 04:27pm

So, my answer to whole thing... I went down to my local hardware and bought a piece of metal screen material. Then went back, measured and cut out the size I needed. Removed the screws, laid the screen down and put the screws back in. Wa La, a flush mounted screen that is now going on it's 6th year. I also used the same screen material to cover my water heater and my refrigerator. With those, I just fit it into place and then wire tied in... So, for a grand total of $3.50 I was able to do all my openings and they work just fine...

05' Layton Lite 170LT Cascade edition
06' Chevy Silverado K1500
We-No-Nah Rendevous, a Ljutic, a Remington, a Hard Rock Pro, a Polaris 550XP & Raleigh the Hunter

Posted By: labman1014 on 04/13/10 10:01pm

does anyone do their ac cover?

TV-2008 Ford F150 SCrew, 4X4, 5.4L, 3.73LS, Rear Camera
TT-2008 Surveyor SV-304LE
Hensley Arrow-P3

Just me-'77, the wife-'81, daughter-'05, son-'07, and son-'09!!!

Posted By: Longilander7 on 04/14/10 10:32am

The M-800 is the one you want. I have the same heater and was having the same problem finding it. The one they called out wasn't the one you need. The bump was off center!!!! I just installed it the other day. I got it at RV Wholesalers M-800 SKU:08-0253 $13.99.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/maintaining-your-rv-rv-fans-vents-and-screens-mud-dauber-screens/

Cut and paste this into your web browser. Or go to the RVWholesalers web site. Then in there search area type in mud dauber. That should get you there. I also got the screens for the refrig and the hot water heater. A little tricky getting the clips where they belong. I found that needle nose pliers worked better than there tool they gave. But used both. Very Happy camper now!!!

Posted By: vanman250 on 04/14/10 12:13pm

Longilander7 wrote:

The M-800 is the one you want. I have the same heater and was having the same problem finding it. The one they called out wasn't the one you need. The bump was off center!!!! I just installed it the other day. I got it at RV Wholesalers M-800 SKU:08-0253 $13.99.

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/maintaining-your-rv-rv-fans-vents-and-screens-mud-dauber-screens/

Cut and paste this into your web browser. Or go to the RVWholesalers web site. Then in there search area type in mud dauber. That should get you there. I also got the screens for the refrig and the hot water heater. A little tricky getting the clips where they belong. I found that needle nose pliers worked better than there tool they gave. But used both. Very Happy camper now!!!

Thanks for the information. I was afraid to order it and find it was the wrong one. I would rather order this one because the one I bought has a tighter weave and I was concerned about that causing a restriction. For $13.00 I would rather be safe.

vanman250

Posted By: biker4life on 04/15/10 12:51pm

mud dawber screens are great, we have always used them , they will help keeps the bugs out and repairs down!!

Posted By: Bob Landry on 04/10/11 07:12pm

I made one from some 1/8' mesh hardware cloth that I purchased from a local hardware store. I cut it to form a square that was just hight enough to fit over the vent. I secured the corner tabs and the entire box to the vent using small ga solid wire like a twisty tie. It was galvanized wire so it didn't look as good as the SS stuff, but I did all of the vents on my trailer for around $3.00. For the fridge and water heater vents, I cut it to fit on the inside of the openings and secured them with wire on one for the fridge because they were long narrow strips, and pop rivits on the WH grill. No one would ever see them, so it didn't matter if they weren't SS. My new trailer has a Suburban furnace, so I sprung for the SS mesh screen for it because it shows, and I have to admit that even for the price, it does look nice.

2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Posted By: Bonefish on 04/11/11 02:25pm

shbiv wrote:

We just purchased a 2010 Zinger 29DS a few weeks back and I want to get a mud dauber screen for the outside furnace fitting. Based upon my documentation I have the 8500 series hydro flame furnace, but the outside fitting does not seem be be the standard fitting I have seen online.

Any ideas for one that would fit?

Here is a picture of my TT and a picture of what should fit it. It does not seem correct.

[image]

[image]

Thanks.

The one you have in your post from Camco looks like the correct one since it covers the all the vent holes and not only the center. It will attach with some included spring clips and does not need to be removed for you to use the furnace.

Bonefish

Posted By: JJBIRISH on 04/11/11 03:23pm

While I don’t see a problem using them the furnace manufactures do not recommend and warn against using the screens…

There might be a reason they don’t come screened…

* This post was edited 04/11/11 03:46pm by JJBIRISH *

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Print  |  Close