|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Great Smoky Mountains National Park - MAR 2010

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Sue Bee

NW suburbs of Chicago

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/10 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/10 09:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedrocker - You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Sleepy - Speaking of rock slides, two or three days later and I might have been in one! There was a rock slide on the Little River Road on the 18th then another on the 19th. Check out the size of the rocks - www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/mar/19/crew-c........ng-rock-slide-little-river-road-may-reo/. Wow! If one of those had come down as I passed it would have turned my hardtop camper into a popup!

seldomseensmith - Yeah, we've had a bad winter here too. We had snow on the ground for over a week [emoticon]

silversand - It actually wasn't a bad drive. While there was a lot of snow on the trees and ground the road was just wet. No salt is used in the Park though, just sand. A few degrees cooler and it might have been a different story.

Harleybullet - Thanks!

kohldad - Yep, I'm sure you planned it that way. We'll do Cataloochee sometime soon. Ask Linda if she'll come if I promise not to make it snow.

cewillis - GSMNP is definitely a nice place to explore but be prepared for crowds if you go in the summer. The Blue Ridge Parkway is also a must see in the area. The Sugarlands ranger said to expect it to open a little later than usual this year though. This winter's heavy snows have brought down a lot of trees that will need to be cleaned up.

Roadlover - We sent my grandparents up to the Pisgah Inn for their 50th anniversary. I hope you don't wait that long to go back!

weymard - Even though I'd been in the area many times it was the first time I'd stopped at the mill. Never too late to learn!

Sue Bee - It was the most fun I've ever had while traveling to a meeting. My TC is opening up all sorts of possibilities!

Phyllis

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

RenoAl

Reno, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/10 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lovely photos and good write up for just a "quick trip". The part about the mill was superb.
Thanks,
Al

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW:Firestone air bags w/ in dual cab control, Rancho 9000, Helwig sway bar, 55 gal fuel tank, cold air box
2005 Lance 1191: generator, TV, A/C, solar
Bayliner 19.5 Capri & 12 ft. Gregor
1965 TBird
Rosie the dog

wayward1

rockbridge, ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 06:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very, very good report! If I may add; the flour and corn meal produced in the mill is some of the finest we have ever had. Made good bread and corn muffins in the dutch oven while camping in the Smokies and later at home. Also the sour wood honey produced in the area is the best I have ever had. Any honey lover should try it!
Again thanks for the report.

Rick and Kristi (KNR)

whazoo

Idahome

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/10 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very n-ice pictures, I've never had ice crystals falling around me before. It must have been surreal. Thanks for the post of being in the right place at the right time.

davedye

New Columbia, Pa. 17856

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/10 09:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GoinThisAway, took the same route March 24th, still snow at the top, unfortunetly, we ended up in Gatlinburg, what a tourist trap that was, we then went to Luray Caverns and then came home to Central Pa.

Dave

Dave
2006 Dodge Ram Dually, 3500 Quad Cab 4X4, 4.10 Gears, Cummins Diesel
2008 Lance 981 Max, Torklifts, Class V Reese Tow Beast with 24" extension, Torklift Stable Loads
2005 Triton DV 176 DV w/150hp Mercury Optimax

shanty66

mastic n.y.

View Profile

Posted: 04/01/10 07:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great report! I love to see pictures and yours are top notch!---LOUIE

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/01/10 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RenoAl - Glad you liked the mill writeup. I learned in college that the best way for me to understand and remember something is to write it down. I guess old habits are hard to break [emoticon]

wayward1 - Yummm! Now I'm hungry for some corn muffins with honey!

whazoo - I think it was so enjoyable because it was so unexpected.

davedye - There is one nice area at Gatlinburg. It is an 8-mile loop road off to the north where a lot of local art and crafts are made and sold. www.gatlinburgcrafts.com/

shanty66 - And I'm finding it to be a lot more fun to share my photos than to just stick them in a box or in my computer [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Great Smoky Mountains National Park - MAR 2010
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.